1941 - Retreat movements question

• The way I read the rules…
    Hypothetical attack
    Russia Round 1.

I attack German Held West Russia with all units from Karelia, Archangel and the Tanks and fighter from Russia and Caucasus

Say after 1 round of attack, I have killed two German Infantry leaving 1.  I want to retreat after reducing the enemy force concentration.

The rules read that all units must withdraw to one friendly place.  I choose Archangel. 
    So the infantry are then done moving having used 1 movement to the attack. (And since I committed everyone from Karelia, the space is now empty).

The tanks should still have 1 movement available each so I could move them to Russia?  The Fighter has 3 movement so I could place it at Russia or Caucasus?

Just trying to understand the movement rules for retreating.  not saying I like the attack scenario itself!

thanks for clarifying!

Dan

• @Red:

I attack German Held West Russia with all units from Karelia, Archangel and the Tanks and fighter from Russia and Caucasus

Say after 1 round of attack, I have killed two German Infantry leaving 1.   I want to retreat after reducing the enemy force concentration.

The rules read that all units must withdraw to one friendly place.  I choose Archangel.  
    So the infantry are then done moving having used 1 movement to the attack. (And since I committed everyone from Karelia, the space is now empty).

The tanks should still have 1 movement available each so I could move them to Russia?  The Fighter has 3 movement so I could place it at Russia or Caucasus?

Just trying to understand the movement rules for retreating.  not saying I like the attack scenario itself!

@Bob77:

All the units would retreat together, to a territory where they came from.
    Since you had units in the attack from archangel, you may choose archangel. BUT all retreating units must go to archangel, tanks and fighters too.
    If you had the same scenario, but had amphibious troops as well, the amphibious troops may not retreat but all others may go to archangel.

From the rulebook:

@rulebook:

Condition B�Attacker Retreats
    The attacker (never the defender) can retreat during this step.
    Land and Sea Units: Move all attacking land and sea units in that combat that are along the battle strip to a single adjacent
    friendly space from or through which at least one of the original attacking land or sea units moved. In the case of sea units,
    that space must have been friendly at the start of the turn. All such units must retreat together to the same space, regardless of
    where they came from.

Air Units: Retreating air units remain in the contested space temporarily. They complete their retreat movement during the
    Noncombat Move phase using the same rules as air units involved in a successful battle.

So remaining land units retreat together to a single adjacent friendly space from or through which at least one of the original attacking land unit came from.

Air units retreat independently during Non Combat Move Phase being allowed to use all their remaining movement points,

so yes to
    @Red:

The Fighter has 3 movement so I could place it at Russia or Caucasus?

but no to
    @Red:

The tanks should still have 1 movement available each so I could move them to Russia?

as no unit - except air units - may move during as well Combat Move Phase as Noncombat Move Phase.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m