• 2007 AAR League

Once Moscow falls, what’s the best way forward typically? Friendly game I’m in now, the US has 6 inf, 1 mech, 1 art, and 1 tank in Gibraltar and is slowly building up Atlantic fleet after focusing on Pacific most of the time. UK is fairly strong, but has few units in London at this point. Japan still holds territory in China and SE Asia, but most of its land units on the mainland have been decimated. It is not under immediate threat of invasion, but doesn’t have the ability to attack much.

I’m planning to strategic bomb London with 5 or so bombers each turn (have another 5 in reserve), while trying to build an invasion force for London. He is rebuilding in India and has a minor IC in Cairo, and I feel like it would take me too long to get to Cairo from Russian ICs before he could reinforce significantly. Italy has no navy or any offensive firepower to help around Cairo, and is at some risk of being invaded. It’s my sense that I need to rebuild offensive units around Germany and France to protect them and hopefully have an opportunity at some point to use them to hit London. Thoughts?

• TripleA

Depends on which one is more of a fortress.

• Like cow said, always go for the weaker one. Generally, cairo is weaker (cause no major), but if cairos beefed up, then later sealion should be an option. You certainly have the funds for it if you get moscow + those sweet oilfields.and vcs. If you dont, get them. You shouldnt wven think about sealions or cairo intil you get those things. Then decide.

• '17

Situation dictates of course. If going for Cairo, I’ve learned from past mistakes that if Germany doesn’t get both Rostov and Caucasus (or at least one of them) in order to build more forward factories, than it can be way more difficult. This means that Italy can’t can open Rostov on I6 which could slow you down getting Stalingrad. So what, you’re doing fine if that’s an option anyways. But I think it’s worth it in the long run. The US can fly 5-7 fighters 2-3 turns or more and once that happens its tough. You better have 25 bombers real soon and a ton of ground. It becomes a second Moscow real quick.

Also, don’t get side tracked. I’ve learned it’s also a waste of resources. At a certain point in time, Germany is making so much it doesn’t matter if it’s 85 or 92 IPCs (meaning don’t send mechs/tanks off towards Siberia). You need every unit and ground built forward as soon as possible and go quickly.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

To me, you want to make Cairo the plan, and build accordingly.  Start to really build up that bomber force.  Then as the “option” start building up fleet as the London option.

If you get a window of opportunity- take it.

The allies will be forced to defend both

Remember that London is easier to exert pressure on quickly.  Especially if you already have ground units or aircraft in the region.

• '15

Why would you strat bomb with more than 3 bombers?  Unless you’re hitting the airbase and naval base as well.

• Do you have most of western russia and factories? Are there a lot of russian offence near by. Hows germany eastern forces holding up? If russia clear, germany can march south, reinforcing with former russian ics. German bombers can neutralize cairo ic. Italy can beef up own def then reinforce france and western europe. Japan can get some units to match india and maybe cairo to keep the threat real.
    Really hard to say cause theres a lot of factors and i dont have access to all the variables.
    If london a knock out, go for it, but not if its a massive build up and slugfest.  Better to have the slugfest on land where there are more units being coming to the front every turn from all the factories.

• I recommend to shift the Luftwaffe (except StratB.) to S. Italy.
    Build up Inf. in ITA.
    On Germanys turn Buy 1-2 TT’s and Navy (DD’s; Subs maybe  a CV as well) and
    Rest Ftr’s.
    March with your remaing Wehrmacht towards Caucasus, Persia, etc…
    See how UK player react on your purchase.
    If he is stacking London, fortify against an US Invasion and Go fully Cairo.

If he puts minimal units in London, Buy another set of Ftr’s DD’s and whatever you need for your Persia force plus 2xInf and 2xArt for your TT’s.

Next turn invade London and Buy CV’s for your Ftr’s to land on who starting from S.Italy. :wink:

As for Japan:
    If it looks like you don’t win in the next four rounds, don’t be afraid to either harras US Navy or abandon the Pacific and bypass India via getting Ceylon; build a NB and conquer Irak, Iran or station your Ftr’s there after German holds it.
    Or simply can Open Iran ;Iraq 8-)

Have fun

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Shin:

Why would you strat bomb with more than 3 bombers?  Unless you’re hitting the airbase and naval base as well.

I was wondering the same thing.

Funny enough I saw this at YG’s tournament.  England had like 14 damage, and the guy kept sending 2-3 bombers after it.

I just didn’t intercept? Total Waste.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Sounds like you are flowing with both bombers and money, UK just doesn’t have the money (30 vs 70) to oppose you as time goes on.  If Moscow is down, and the Allies don’t have a chance of taking a VC, then you only need 1 more to win on that map, so whichever is easier to grab. If the allies seem ready to retake a VC in the next 3 turns, then the target has to be London in order to deliver the coup de grace and convince him to capitulate.  But that’s really hard after Turn 8 because of Americans of all types garrisoning UK.

A lot of times, Japan brings in some stuff post-india and backdoors Africa–that plus Strategic Bombing just strips out UK income so while you are building up Germany transports hopefully under your at least 8 hit fleet, they are making effectively 15-20 and you have 70. Its just brutal.  The units that won at Moscow plus the Eurogarrison can all be used as assault troops for late seelowe.

The problem with taking Cairo is that it sounded like the Axis aren’t able to amphibious across the med unless you start building that now, which is only 3-6 ships per turn.  Going through turkey is another way but you may not have prepared for that or the neutral takeover to be done all at once.  If the only way that German forces are headed to Cairo is through the ME, it’ll all depend on what spearhead was left after Moscow.  if you have a fair sized stack of mobile units then its on the table.  If only 1 tank survived, then rebuilding the armies thru those MiCs isn’t going to be fast enough.

• '17

I’ve gotten Cairo one time with help from Japan. I gave up on the pretense I was trying to keep Japan in the game. Used entire airforce minus whatever was needed on the capital. The turn order suits this. Germany moves forward a space if it can, then the Japanese airforce lands on the German stack.

• I think this is a reason to support Italy with German, so that Italy get above 20 IPC and can take and keep Egypt. If Germany helps Italy with its air force to remove most UK troops in Africa or the Middle East then Italy can get strong.

This supports going to Moscow via the southern way.

• '19 '17 '16

@Shin:

I see merit in hitting the airbase on London, particularly if preparing for a Sea Lion.

Using 4 bombers allows for the case that one is hit - you can still max out the damage or close to it. Or if you just roll poorly. Of course, the bang for buck of the 4th bomber is weak.

It also can help deter an intercept, or allow for intercept casualties.

Back to topic, it may make sense to do a two+ stage Sea Lion where you hit Scotland first round, perhaps build an IC there and keep ferrying troops to Scotland until you have enough to take it down. I’ve seen this strategy fail to get on London in spite of being installed on Scotland. I think I didn’t have a Naval base so I couldn’t attack SZ106 from SZ109. That was a mistake.

• 2007 AAR League

Starting to build tanks with Russian ICs for eventual march on Cairo, but once he shifted his very large fleet of 7CVs + 12 fighters and other support ships to Malta, he was out of range to get back to a weakly held London. Built a large fleet of transports and shifted entire air force west and managed to take London on my next move. It’s questionable whether I will hold, but he will be putting his fleet within range of my air force when he moves to try to take it back. Eventually I feel I’ll have a chance to take it again and hold it.

Also, thanks for pointing out I should have only been sending three, maybe four bombers, rather than five. I’m used to the original games where a 2 was not added to the die roll.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

You may still want to send the overkill as interception scrambles are becoming more and more common and so sending extra bombers to hit the bases (or just the factory) and also tacs and fighters is smart as free casualties, and overkill is a method of deterrence, not just damage-dealing.

The total power/money imbalance (Ger v USSR) of the Dark Skies is so great that guaranteeing the 20 damage on Moscow must be worth 1 bomber lost per run, because our house players consistently bomb Moscow into dust turn after turn losing 1 bomber on average per round (to AAA and interception).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m