• Man, I hate the guy who plays Italy and takes Cyprus to knock out the UK Euro No’s, just to annoy the heck out of me. Are you that guy? :evil: :|

• Ya but it’s Malta in our games.

• '20

12th round of my ongoing match with Oyst and I have 3 inf and AAA there. Japan will start bombing Egypt from Cyprus if fewer than 2 figs are stationed there. Now, that’s where it gets really irritating for UK  :-D

• @SS:

Ya but it’s Malta in our games.

Taking Malta should be a NO for Italy or Germany as that was a critical battle for them.

• '19 '17 '16

@Caesar:

@SS:

Taking Malta should be a NO for Italy or Germany as that was a critical battle for them.

I think it should have an airbase. That would make it much more worth fighting over.

• @simon33:

@Caesar:

@SS:

I think it should have an airbase. That would make it much more worth fighting over.

Indeed, that would also give the UK fighter that starts on it much more power than it currently has.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@Colt45:

12th round of my ongoing match with Oyst and I have 3 inf and AAA there. Japan will start bombing Egypt from Cyprus if fewer than 2 figs are stationed there. Now, that’s where it gets really irritating for UK  :-D

Haha!

In a normal game I would put priority to remove this annoyance, but there are more important things to worry about for the time beeing……

• '17

@PainState:

Man, I hate the guy who plays Italy and takes Cyprus to knock out the UK Euro No’s, just to annoy the heck out of me. Are you that guy? :evil: :|

Only if I ever play against you!

But I won’t do it just to annoy you, I’ll also do it to deny the UK’s NO!

• @simon33:

@Caesar:

@SS:

Granted its in our 39 games. I know this was for 40 game but replying to the question. Malta has 2 inf, a fort and an airbase on it.
    Yes,  I agree it should give Italy or Germany the NO. Not as easy as you’d think taking it.

Plus in Tunisia there’s a naval base to. When you roll for Free French or Vichy for territories,   you need to hopefully push the 7 French Legion troops closer to the west coast so then if Tunisia goes Vichy its easier to take Malta then trying to get both Malta and Tunisia.
    You can push out the UK navy on Turn 2 when the Italy navy moves into Tobruk sea zone and with German air support in Yugo then land in Tobruk but Italy weak now in africa ground.

• I remember, in the Europe 1999 Edition Malta was much more vital oob then it is now on G40.

• Funny, there actually was an airbase on Malta in Alpha +2 (as well as an air base on Gibraltar!). I believe they were both removed for balance reasons. While it would fit definitely be at home from an authenticity and thematic standpoint, I can’t fault Larry for taking them away to improve the actual quality of the game overall.

• @creeping-deth87:

Funny, there actually was an airbase on Malta in Alpha +2 (as well as an air base on Gibraltar!). I believe they were both removed for balance reasons. While it would fit definitely be at home from an authenticity and thematic standpoint, I can’t fault Larry for taking them away to improve the actual quality of the game overall.

Authenticity goes out the window when in every single A&A game (including 1914), the Germans can eliminate the entire British Home Fleet.

• @ShadowHAwk:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@creeping-deth87:

Funny, there actually was an airbase on Malta in Alpha +2 (as well as an air base on Gibraltar!). I believe they were both removed for balance reasons. While it would fit definitely be at home from an authenticity and thematic standpoint, I can’t fault Larry for taking them away to improve the actual quality of the game overall.

Authenticity goes out the window when in every single A&A game (including 1914), the Germans can eliminate the entire British Home Fleet.

Just think of the ranges of aircraft and you see that is it completey insane.
    A Bomber flying from london to malta through germany and italy non stop. Sure with the modern bombers that works WW2 bombers barely made it to germany and back.

Ya air and naval bases are a joke. I didn’t know they could just strap on extra fuel tank reserves. For naval you need to have a tanker in your fleet to get the move of 3. Need 1 tanker per 5 ships. Can use the tanker ( A0 D0 C8 M3 )  2 times for refueling. Put a die or numbered token under tanker to show how many refuels you have left. So make sure you bring more tankers with ya or refill the tanker with fuel at any allie NAVAL PORT.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Its a huge scale game.  Its an inference that the units not depicted (DE, Flying boat, all logistical units including tankers) are already included in every relevant unit.

• So your saying there’s invisible tankers with fleets and air fueling planes in game ? I see. Last time I checked there wasn’t any air fueling planes in WW2.  :-D

• '21 '20 '18 '17

drop tanks.

Yes, that’s exactly what im saying;  its a game–so planes and ships don’t need fuel at all.  They don’t have pilots.  If you want to use your imagination, you can, or you can try to apply reality…to a game.

• @taamvan:

drop tanks.

Yes, that’s exactly what im saying;  its a game–so planes and ships don’t need fuel at all.   They don’t have pilots.   If you want to use your imagination, you can, or you can try to apply reality…to a game.

Sweet!

• '19 '17 '16

Agree about naval bases having no realism. Instant repair and extending ships range? Hmm. No scramble without an airbase? Agree about the range extension from drop tanks though.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

according to wikipedia the RAF bombed Berlin from 1940. In the game such bombing raids are not possible in the early rounds, probably because it would break the game.

So it is a difference between making a game and relate it to real life. Should be fairly easy to understand

• '21 '20 '18 '17

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Heligoland_Bight_(1939)

This article about a haphazard and running air battle in the very early stages of the war was an immense learning experience and the article is exceptional.  Many of our later conceptions about Air Strategy were not applied in a formal or practical way and some very basic considerations of morale, leadership and planning developed from these early battles.    Forget bombing cities–you have to fly in formation and fight together, first.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m