• There are some sneaky moves that the Allies can do against the Axis if they are not being aware of the situation. I will mention one of them and would like others to chime in with other sneaky moves the Allies and Axis can do that just freak the other side out and sometimes just concede.

The dreaded SZ91 check mate move on Germany.

Axis are focused on their final offensive into Moscow, looking west and putting up a defense on the Atlantic wall. But they forget to garrison Denmark with forces or enough forces, Norway is barren on their Moscow romp. Berlin has meager defense and maybe even no defense.

USA moves up to SZ 112 Takes Denmark and Norway and if the Axis are really sleeping at the wheel take out Western Germany.

UK blows through the straits from SZ 108 and lands in Germany and takes out Berlin.

This is the classic check mate Allied move. Lets here of others Iam not aware of.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Great idea.  This is why my buddy Maphead argued that it is actually better to put forces in Denmark than WG.  Since you may not be able to stack both or all 3, and your heartland is only vulnerable if Denmark is lost, the fortress stack is better put in Denmark, than either Germany or West Germany.

This is especially true in G42 and G41, where the allies are all over Germany from start.

A partial remedy to some of your Germany-fleet smashing plans is that they can put 3 airbases to protect SZ 113.  In most situations, bases are less flexible than carriers.  But for Germany, the bases allow you to have the fighters on the ground ready to protect your stacks, while at the same time, potentially adding 9 fighters to your BB CV CA fleet, for a total of 16 brutal defenders–only 1 of which you abs had to buy.  The bases are not typically used to add movement or assist an attack (going against my rule of having at least 2 situational goals in mind when placing a base), but if they save Germany and Germany kills Russia, it was worth the $100 payday.

Italy can kind of do the same thing to protect its fleet (97 can have 5 bases, 95 probably only 2), if the fighters (from either team) are available, and they can do both plans in response to the what vital areas the Allies seem ready to target.

• '17

@PainState:

There are some sneaky moves that the Allies can do against the Axis if they are not being aware of the situation. I will mention one of them and would like others to chime in with other sneaky moves the Allies and Axis can do that just freak the other side out and sometimes just concede.

The dreaded SZ91 check mate move on Germany.

Axis are focused on their final offensive into Moscow, looking west and putting up a defense on the Atlantic wall. But they forget to garrison Denmark with forces or enough forces, Norway is barren on their Moscow romp. Berlin has meager defense and maybe even no defense.

USA moves up to SZ 112 Takes Denmark and Norway and if the Axis are really sleeping at the wheel take out Western Germany.

UK blows through the straits from SZ 108 and lands in Germany and takes out Berlin.

This is the classic check mate Allied move. Lets here of others Iam not aware of.

I consider this a “noob” move; in fact I was so full of my “superior” axis and allies abilities, that this recently occurred to me! Very embarrassing! It was also irritating as it delayed my Moscow attack for another 4 rounds. Italy was able to liberate right after the UK got rich.

• Even if Italy or Germany storms right back on the next turn and takes back, lets say Western Germany and Germany.

Germany lost its stash of cash.

The two German Major IPC are now minor IPC, basically for the rest of the game.

It might be a noob move BUT it puts a serious hurt on Germany.

• '17

It’s a great move! I mean noob in that that type of allies attack normally doesn’t get to occur. I totally messed up.

Germany and Italy were doing so good in the game that it was a major road bump but not irrecoverable.

I garrison Denmark more often even if it means letting my W. German major get reduced.

• I can think of 2 sneaky plans the Allies can do against Italy if Italy is not aware of what is going on. What about on the Pacific map? any ideas of sneaky plans from Japan or the Allies?

• Have China save up their money each turn. The Americans can grab some small coastal territory and then a Chinese stack pops up out of nowhere, ideally right next to a minor IC.

• @larrymarx:

Have China save up their money each turn. The Americans can grab some small coastal territory and then a Chinese stack pops up out of nowhere, ideally right next to a minor IC.

Never thought of that one, that is a great idea. China is a unique country and cannot be conquered in the traditional sense. So they can save all the money from turn 1, they are eliminated from the game in turn 5 and have 67 IPC stashed away. USA moves in and takes a coastal territory and then China drops 23 INF on the coast.

good idea.

Now that I think about it more. Why is that not a standard China plan? Think about it. China keeps buying troops, attempting to stave off the Japan romp going on, which is most likely a failed effort in A&A 1940, why keep repeating failure?

Japan on turn 4 realizes china has 41 IPC saved up, never bought one troop,  only have 3 territories left and still collecting some income. Japan starts to worry about a USA quick strike force hitting the coast next to the Manchurian or Shangai factory and allowing China to mass build ON TOP OF THE USA forces.

How does that effect the Japan player? Is he stunned?

• If the player is new or not paying attention, it will surprise them, maybe catastrophically. If the player knows what’s coming, they will want to spread their assets out but keep reserve troops and air in range so that when the Chinese storm down from the heavens they can be stopped. This will hamper their mobility and keep them worried and in a more defensive state.

With this plan you are giving up income from Chinese territories to the Japanese earlier, so you have to justify it by coordinating it so that when the Chinese descend there are other stacks around the map stepping it up at the same time and Japan can’t deal with everything at once.

As to why this play isn’t standard, I have found that the Chinese can actually do some good in the early stages of the game, especially against a J1. You just throw everything at Yunnan, move the Brits in there too. Sure the Japanese can smash you but they lose all their ground and a bunch of air. Mission accomplished. You can’t do anything else with the Chinese so you may as well use them as the breaker to the Japanese wave. You bring the Russians in too and if they decide to crush both stacks they’ve got nothing left for Calcutta.

My response as Japan would probably be to let the Russians have northern China in this scenario, at least for a few turns, and this is likely a better result than just holding everything back until America shows up. Maybe China can start saving up 3-8 IPC’s per turn once this has occurred instead of replacing their Yunnan stack and then come back with a vengeance mid-game.

• '18 '17 '16

If you don’t spend any Chinese money they will only last a couple of turns. They wouldn’t be popping up next to an IC because they wouldn’t own any territories near one and can’t pop up on Japanese territory.

If you’re looking for one on the Pacific map, then try the Sneaky Karl. (surprise DOW by ANZAC preventing Japan from loading their transports).

• GeneralHandGrenade, go back and read what I wrote. It’s a surprise move that uses the Americans to give the Chinese their territory to pop up on.

I’m going to call this one the “heavenly kingdom”.

• '18 '17 '16

I see. I have to agree with you that it’s a better idea to spend your money early. You might as well try to keep making money as long as possible instead of just hoarding a small amount for a possible landing by the Americans later in the game.

• '19 '17 '16

@PainState:

I can think of 2 sneaky plans the Allies can do against Italy if Italy is not aware of what is going on. What about on the Pacific map? any ideas of sneaky plans from Japan or the Allies?

Well the sneaky move I’m aware of is USA landing on Korea and being reinforced by USSR. Mongolian rule remains active. This move seems to peter out unless UK Pacific are doing well.

• @simon33:

Well the sneaky move I’m aware of is USA landing on Korea and being reinforced by USSR. Mongolian rule remains active. This move seems to peter out unless UK Pacific are doing well.

I think the Allies need to have all of these moves in their arsenal - the sneaky Karl, the heavenly kingdom, the Korean slide, and anything else we can come up with. They need to employ them aggressively and proficiently but only when it is to their advantage to do so, slipping in and catching the Japanese off guard as soon as they can in order to save Calcutta so that they can refocus their attention on the advancing German hordes in time to save the world from the encroaching darkness.

• How about that famous situation where France actually fights and doesn’t get conquered?

• '19 '17 '16

@Caesar:

How about that famous situation where France actually fights and doesn’t get conquered?

That isn’t really a move though. Nothing the allies do can bring it about, unless the axis are trying Italy strong when they shouldn’t.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@PainState:

You don’t need to take Norway. To move through the straits, only Denmark needs to be in Allied hands at the start of the British turn.

• WHO PLAYS IN ROCHESTER, NY –---- RED_CASTLE_01@HOTMAIL.COM

• TripleA

Defend Berlin, leave WG and Denmark empty. Duh winning.

• '19 '17 '16

WG empty! That’s when you’re getting a bit desperate isn’t it?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m