• Haven’t seen the question asked in this manner. What legit and legal strategies do people use, whether axis or allies, annoy you the most?

The reason I ask is because like most games and sports the strategies are usually common.

When I’ve played my brother in law in axis and allies he’ll often be the allies and he’ll stay away completely from japan with the US. he won’t commit a single solitary unit unless i threaten an attack on western US which has to be at least a 2 round plan.

• I think you better fire-up the tanks and head to Moscow. Depending on what the U.K. does in the India area, you should have easy sailing to a victory.

• The big one for me is rolling for weapons development early on. It makes the game so much more dependent on luck rather than skill. I don’t mind if someone realizes they’re losing and takes a crack at getting heavy bombers, but attempts in the first few rounds are annoying.

As for ignoring Japan with the U.S., that just seems like good sound strategy to me. The Americans can do a lot more against Germany.

• One more I thought of is when a player abuses the technicalities of retreat rules. If I understand the rules correctly, you can attack a country from two sides and then retreat all units to one of those sides.

So if a German player marches 40 infantry to Ukraine and the Allied player threatens Berlin by piling units into EE, the German player can attack from both Germany & Ukraine then retreat all units to Germany after one round of combat.

• When germany pumps out infantry and just keeps pumping to stall the game for days and days.

• Playing as Japan, I usually often found an oportunity to send a lone transporter with two inf or a tank to take Madagaskar. Hardly anyone see it coming. If the transporter was still alive after that, I send the tank or an inf to Africa, to go mad there. Normally there will be som US forces around to clear Africa again after a few rounds, but very seldom a transporter to take back Madagaskar from Japan.

• '17 '16

@ClassicQuestionsGuy:

When germany pumps out infantry and just keeps pumping to stall the game for days and days.

I’m glad my fellow players wanted Africa and built a few Med or even Baltic fleet. Even if this was sub-optimal, at least it was funny. But clearly not the best competitive play.

• Do any of you find it cheap/annoying when an allied player lands on Spain in order to establish a Western front against Germany?  This has been a common tactic of mine, and I had a gamesbyemail player call it cheap just recently.  I haven’t seen that strategy criticized before, so I’m curious if others share the opinion.

• @ericwool:

Do any of you find it cheap/annoying when an allied player lands on Spain in order to establish a Western front against Germany?  This has been a common tactic of mine, and I had a gamesbyemail player call it cheap just recently.  I haven’t seen that strategy criticized before, so I’m curious if others share the opinion.

As a strategy that move is so common it has a nickname: “Spanish Harlem”. I wouldn’t call it cheap, but I can see being annoyed by it if it kept happening to me.

There’s a few ways to defend against it, but most involve either Germany taking Spain first or stacking tons of troops in France for an immediate counter-attack.

-Midnight_Reaper

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m