Occupying Southern France in Balanced Mod

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

In Balanced Mod v3, does Germany get to keep the Vichy French troops in Southern France if Germany occupies Southern France? The rule says that remaining Vichy French forces aren’t disbanded until the end of Germany’s turn, but it seems slightly, odd that you can walk into the heart of Vichy, the French militias there will join you, and then they’re so upset that they joined you that the rest of the regime defects. Also, you don’t automatically lose control of any Vichy French territories, right? It’s just that remaining Vichy colonies (e.g. Tunisia) are now empty pro-Axis neutrals?

I’m just thinking about the situation where the Allies make a maximum push to liberate Vichy territories on turn 1. Britain can use Canadian troops to get into Morocco, and an Egyptian mech to get into Syria. America can send its starting Atlantic transport to French West Africa. At that point, the only Vichy forces left on the board (I think) are in Algeria, Tunisia, and Southern France itself. So why not occupy Southern France and collect the free troops there, plus the use of the minor factory in the Med?

Note that this question will not make any sense if you haven’t read the Vichy France rules as part of the Balanced Mod version of Global 1940.

• '19 '17 '16

Sth France forces are disbanded rather than joining the liberating (?) army.

UK1 Vichy can’t be activated yet.

You can move UK forces into French West Africa and Syria to prevent an activation but you can only get to Morocco from Canada if your SZ106 TT survives G1 miraculously. You can forgo French West Africa though.

Ok, that makes a little more sense. And, yeah, Allies can’t actually grab FWA with America without a J1 DoW.

Why is it miraculous for the sz 106 transport to survive? Can’t the UK scramble 4 fighters (plus the dd) to protect it? I am new to Global, and I’m having trouble figuring out the standard G1 attack on the British fleets. Seems like if you want to take both Normandy and France without huge losses, you need a couple of planes providing ground support, so even wirhout sz 106, that leaves Germany with maybe 9 planes, 4 subs that can reach, and a BB against 4 scrambling allied planes and 6 allied ships, including 2 BBs. Something like 15 German hit points vs. 12 Allied hit points, and the Allies have slightly better punch, since the subs only roll 2s but the defending fighters all roll 4s. I can’t figure out how to get my odds of winning both major fleet battles at once (Scotland and wales) above 70%, even without attacking sz 106.

• '19 '17 '16

Your confusing the SZ109 TT, off London. The SZ106 TT is off Quebec.

You’re correct, and I apologize for the error, but my basic question stands: Britain starts with two Atlantic transports. Is there a way to reliably kill them both, take Normandy, take France, kill at least one of Britain’s two main fleets, and not lose 8+ German planes in the attempt, all on G1?

• '19 '17 '16

@Argothair:

You’re correct, and I apologize for the error, but my basic question stands: Britain starts with two Atlantic transports. Is there a way to reliably kill them both, take Normandy, take France, kill at least one of Britain’s two main fleets, and not lose 8+ German planes in the attempt, all on G1?

No, is the short answer, or at least you shouldn’t try.

Letting the SZ110 fleet escape might allow you to accomplish that but you’d rather sink that than tie up 4+ planes on sinking two ships.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m