• Thinking of the replay value for some moderately experienced players.

One idea that occurred to me was to give every territory that has a national marker w/o IPCs a value of 1.  For example, Midway would be worth 1 IPC. This has probably been discussed, but I am interested to see if this is a good idea.

This change would add IPCs and create more islands and land for the Axis to try to capture.  The Pacific theater would become more fun/strategic, and Germany would have more of an incentive to take over Africa (worth around 8 IPCs).  Of course, the Axis could still ignore the extra cash available and crush Russia.

Also interesting is that this would give US a +25 at the beginning of the game which is the highest IPC available at the top of the map for the IPC chart.  I think UK would be around +24, and Russia would get a couple extra IPCs.

Thoughts?

• Hi again USA8

As I don’t change the territory incomes I left this for someone else to answer, but as no-one has here are some thoughts:

1. Increasing the income will lengthen the game. If I wanted a longer game I would move to 1942.2 or Anniversary.

2. However if you don’t have those :cry: then there are a number of other income increasing ideas I can share, some of which came from forum colleagues:

• double the income of each territory
    • make up some national objectives
    • add a capital bonus (i.e. + however many ipcs per capital a nation controls)
    • give some critical sea zones an income value - whichever nation has a ship (or sub?) in each specified sz gains x ipcs
    • reduce the cost of units by 50% (not income increasing but has the same effect)

To that list can now be added your idea of 1 ipc per non-income territory.

3. I like the national objectives idea. Anniversary and 40 Global have national objectives and they add a new dimension to the game. If they are skewed towards the allies then the need for an allied bid to balance the game disappears. Some possibilities to illustrate:

• G gains x ipcs for axis control of each of Leningrad or Caucasus at end of G turn.
    • J gains x ipcs for axis control of India or Hawaii at end of J turn.
    • R gains x ipcs for allied control of West Russia (or pick another eastern front territory) at end of R turn.
    • UK gains x ipcs for allied control of each of Norway or Malaysia at end of UK turn.
    • USA gains x ipcs for allied control of each of Philippines or Norway at end of USA turn.

Just a few ideas without looking at the map or thinking too much about it. Norway features in both UK & USA which may or may not be a good idea. :|

4. The sz idea is also interesting as it makes navies about more than transporting land and air units. :-o Again these can be used to balance the game.

Happy gaming! 8-)

PP

• '17 '16

@USA8:

Thinking of the replay value for some moderately experienced players.

One idea that occurred to me was to give every territory that has a national marker w/o IPCs a value of 1.  For example, Midway would be worth 1 IPC. This has probably been discussed, but I am interested to see if this is a good idea.

This change would add IPCs and create more islands and land for the Axis to try to capture.  The Pacific theater would become more fun/strategic, and Germany would have more of an incentive to take over Africa (worth around 8 IPCs).  Of course, the Axis could still ignore the extra cash available and crush Russia.

Also interesting is that this would give US a +25 at the beginning of the game which is the highest IPC available at the top of the map for the IPC chart.  I think UK would be around +24, and Russia would get a couple extra IPCs.

Thoughts?

I’m not a fan of just throwing out IPCs to territories without IPC value… because simply-put, you’re making places that aren’t really worth much… well… worth much.  Africa being worth twice as much as most capitals?  Midway island worth as much as more valuable territories already worth 1?  Africa was always a side show, but making it worth that much makes it a primary objective.  I suppose if that’s what you want, then go for it, but it takes backwater places that shouldn’t be worth anything and it makes them far more crititcal.

For my own home, and in regards to the shortage of IPC income to begin with, there’s a couple of “quick/easy” fixes you can house-rule to give 1941 more income to play with.

1. Simply double the income of every territory that gives income. Its a quick and easy fix that’s easy to remember and hard to mess up… doubling of the income actually gives each nation an income close to the Classic/Original version of A&A. Its uncanny how close to the Classic A&A values doubling the 1941 values gives you.

2. Try a “War Bonds” option for each nation… during income collection phase roll 1D6 or 2D6 (depending on how much you want to add) for added IPC income to each nation to show “home war support” drives. This will not mess with the printed income on the board, but gives each nation an income boost that once-again gives you more money to play with each turn.

Mind you, added income to 1941 adds length to the game in playing time… but it does give people more money to have fun with. I agree with Private Panic that added income/length kinda takes you into “why don’t you just play 1942:SE at this point” territory… but if all you have is 1941, the above are some good options.

• Thanks for the helpful feedback.  My goal is not to make the game longer or add to the complexity. This is the only version that I own now, and I like the fact that maybe more people might play it.

I will go back to the idea that I had in the house rules.

Industrial Production Certificates
    Total income for each country will be the IPC chart (not territories) x2 throughout the game. 
    For example, Germany starts the game with 24 IPCs, but it can only produce 4 units in Germany.

I believe that this will not add too much to the length of the game.  Simply, players will now have an opportunity to buy higher priced units.  So, Germany could buy 4 tanks on its first turn.  More variety in purchasing could actually make the game more attractive to new and veteran players.

• Hehehe!  :-D

Sounds like a mad, wild game! :evil:

Enjoy the mayhem.

• Can’t wait!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m