• So my wife came home from work last night and told me she has some old board games that a coworker gave her to give to me. I went to the car and this is what I find:

Battle of the Bulge
    The Russian Campaign
    Panzer Leader
    Tobruk
    Breakout: Normandy

They are all games produced by Avalon Hill. I haven’t got too involved with them yet but they look pretty cool despite being 30-40 years old. The boxes are a bit beat up but a couple of them haven’t even been played as the game pieces are still packaged.

Has anyone played these???

• If by “Battle of the Bulge” you mean “Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge”, there’s a section of this discussion board devoted to that game:  http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=46.0

• No it’s not the axis and allies version.

• I have not played any of those but they are the forerunners to A&A. They very likely are thirty or more years old. I don’t think most of that has been in print since the eighties and a few of them may be even older. Some might have had turn of the century-ish printings. Looking them up on boardgamegeek should help you sort it out.

This is the third version of BOTB for example: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5607/battle-bulge

• '17 '16

They are not the forerunners of Axis and Allies, they don’t resemble A&A anymore than A&A resembles Candyland.

Those old Avalon Hill games date from the 1970s mostly, some from the early 80s, and I used to collect and play them back in those times. They are the original hard core wargames… if you were to break out and play Panzer Leader for instance,  other than it being a WW2 game, you’d find little in common with A&A.

• @Wolfshanze:

They are not the forerunners of Axis and Allies, they don’t resemble A&A anymore than A&A resembles Candyland.

Those old Avalon Hill games date from the 1970s mostly, some from the early 80s, and I used to collect and play them back in those times. They are the original hard core wargames… if you were to break out and play Panzer Leader for instance,  other than it being a WW2 game, you’d find little in common with A&A.

Point taken although in my defense I was using “forerunner” very liberally.

• Battle of the Bulge
    The Russian Campaign
    Panzer Leader

I also own these, play Russian Campaign first. Thats the best of the group by far. Its easy to learn and balanced

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m