• Sponsor

Dear Axis & Allies designers and publishers…

We are a loyal and passionate community of Axis & Allies Global 1940 players. We all love the game you have created for us, however, for years we have suffered trying to reference rules using two different rule books, and a huge unprintable FAQ forum thread.

Please design a downloadable PDF document for an all in one rule book for Axis & Allies Global 1940 2nd Edition. Please accept any + votes to this post as a request from each individual Axis & Allies fan who fully acknowledges this need, and desires a more fluid way to learn A&A G40.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

From Young Grasshopper, and the Axis and Allies 1940 Global community.

• '19 '17 '16

To be honest, I would be satisfied if they just added the missing bits to the Europe (China & Kami) and Pac (straits) to the global rule section in each rulebook. That would make each rulebook complete.

• '21 '18 '16

We simply downloaded the pdf files from WOTC and printed the “meat pages”. Starting on pg 8 AAE and starting on pg 8 of AAP book. Double side print, stack together.  Problem solved. We also printed off large font setups (word document), downloaded from this site but I forgot what thread (Big thanks to whoever did it!). We also attached our house rules and took them to Office Depot and had a cool plastic cover with a translucent globe on the front and black plastic on the back and a spiral binding for all of it. Cost about $12 (USD) for 2 copies. Everything stays put and it’s all in one file. Very easy. We even are going to see if we can get the plastic cover printed with the A&A logo for our next few iterations.
    Sean…

• Sponsor

@simon33:

To be honest, I would be satisfied if they just added the missing bits to the Europe (China & Kami) and Pac (straits) to the global rule section in each rulebook. That would make each rulebook complete.

Satisfied perhaps, but this would be a book for Global players. That means the order of play and national objectives for the theater halves need to be removed to make way for the order of play, national objectives, set up, connection links for playing with a wrap around board, UK split economy and everything else Global related buried in the back pages.

@seancb:

We simply downloaded the pdf files from WOTC and printed the “meat pages”. Starting on pg 8 AAE and starting on pg 8 of AAP book. Double side print, stack together.  Problem solved.

I speak with a lot of people who have just purchased both 1940 Europe, and 1940 Pacific wanting to play Global for the first time. They don’t know what “meat pages” are, and they’re terrified to skip a paragraph in any book because they might miss something not mentioned in the other book.

@seancb:

We also attached our house rules and took them to Office Depot and had a cool plastic cover with a translucent globe on the front and black plastic on the back and a spiral binding for all of it. Cost about $12 (USD) for 2 copies. Everything stays put and it’s all in one file. Very easy. We even are going to see if we can get the plastic cover printed with the A&A logo for our next few iterations.
    Sean…

Understandable, but why should any new player to the franchise be subjected to any of that. The publishers have all the original indesign files that could be easily modified, and put up on their website for all to download like any of their other rulebooks. It would be a 1 week ordeal for them at the most.

• '21 '18 '16

Agree with you YG about WOTC should do this for us. I am pretty sure WOTC is more concerned about how good their Magic the Gathering sales are rather than the A&A crowds. It is unfortunate, because these games offer replayability that far outlasts any digital content such as video games. Card collecting is a hobby I don’t have. If WOTC was really serious, they would give us something like we had on the GTO website. If anyone remembers that and I even was a beta tester for Gleemax back in the day. Triple A is okay. I don’t really play online anymore because its just not that good to me. Too clunky. But the GTO stuff was really good and ahead of its time. If they could put the games in digital format, it would open up a whole new era in gaming. Thus I digress and should probably start a new thread.

Sean…

• Sponsor

@ShadowHAwk:

Why would they bother.

Good question.

• @Young:

@ShadowHAwk:

Why would they bother.

Good question.

Possible answer: money.  If they produced such a rulebook and made it available for online purchase at a cheap enough price (let’s say $5) that lots of folks would be willing to buy it for the sake of convenience, this could easily add up to a decent profit margin, given that the cost of producing such a rulebook ought to be trivial (since it would mostly involve repackaging material that already exists).

• Sponsor

@CWO:

@Young:

@ShadowHAwk:

Why would they bother.

Good question.

Possible answer: money.  If they produced such a rulebook and made it available for online purchase at a cheap enough price (let’s say $5) that lots of folks would be willing to buy it for the sake of convenience, this could easily add up to a decent profit margin, given that the cost of producing such a rulebook ought to be trivial (since it would mostly involve repackaging material that already exists).

Not asking for a publication, zero costs on that… would be fine with a PDF we can download and print ourselves. They already do this for every franchise game on their website.

• @Young:

Not asking for a publication, zero costs on that… would be fine with a PDF we can download and print ourselves. They already do this for every franchise game on their website.

Yes, but I was answering the “why should they bother?” question.  ShadowHawk was saying that WotC might not have any motivation to create this G40 rulebook, and I was simply saying that if WotC has no such motivation to do it for P.R. reasons (it would be nice if they did, but perhaps they don’t), then maybe a financial incentive might provide them with the missing motivation.  They are a business, after all.

• IMO the only way WOTC does a combined Global rule book is if they do a 3rd special edition of Global 40 at some point all in one box (instead of marketing two games). Otherwise it wouldn’t be worth the effort $$$$

With that said it would be really nice to have one document that includes updates from the faq, has more examples, and an index with page references would be awesome

• I agree with many of the points above me, being a business, I don’t see why they wouldn’t try such a thing, even if it’s for simply a PDF file, some people would gladly pay for it to save all the headaches of going over two different rule books, especially ones that don’t do a great job (decent at best) at clarifying things.

I would also argue for said PDF (or booklet) to include more images to showcase certain important gameplay mechanics.

• Sponsor

@Der:

I agree with many of the points above me, being a business, I don’t see why they wouldn’t try such a thing, even if it’s for simply a PDF file, some people would gladly pay for it to save all the headaches of going over two different rule books, especially ones that don’t do a great job (decent at best) at clarifying things.

I would also argue for said PDF (or booklet) to include more images to showcase certain important gameplay mechanics.

Good to see ya here DF, nice Avatar.

• Customizer

@WILD:

IMO the only way WOTC does a combined Global rule book is if they do a 3rd special edition of Global 40 at some point all in one box (instead of marketing two games). Otherwise it wouldn’t be worth the effort $$$$

With that said it would be really nice to have one document that includes updates from the faq, has more examples, and an index with page references would be awesome

That would be a cool idea. Especially if they fixed the French pieces while at it.

• @knp7765:

@WILD:

IMO the only way WOTC does a combined Global rule book is if they do a 3rd special edition of Global 40 at some point all in one box (instead of marketing two games). Otherwise it wouldn’t be worth the effort $$$$

That would be a cool idea. Especially if they fixed the French pieces while at it.

Agreed.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I would not be G40 boxed set for a new rulebook or even for new French unit sculpts. However, I would buy a G40 boxed set for some combination of two or more of these changes:

1. Long standing balance issues were resolved officially instead of with the house rule hodgepodge we use now.
    2. Historical inaccurances (Scapa Flow, Iceland, Sierra Leone, etc) were corrected on the map/setup (for instance, Iceland was occupied by the US on July 7th 1941, but the map shows it as a UK territory from the start).
    3. There were cool new sculpts for multiple powers, and cleaned up sculpts for units that look too similar (ANZAC cruiser vs destroyer for instance, or corrected the 9 ft tall ANZAC infantry unit).
    4. New map! For instance, eastern Russia is vast and would have been a Japanese sinkhole that brought no benefit, but in the G40 map those territories all actually produce income. The Global War map is a much better representation – combined German/Japan strategies that work on the current map would not work on Global War map.
    5. Map supports faster setup – MICs and setup bases pre-printed, for instance.
    6. Rule changes that allow the US to build bases on other Allies territories.
    7. Rule changes to fix unit issues (cruisers!)
    8. Separate control markers for UK Pacific vs UK Atlantic

Basically, a couple of big changes or a bunch of small changes make the investment worthwhile IMO.

Fixing NOs could be part of #1 – giving the UK an additional NO of no German navy in the Atlantic other than sea zone 112 would probably help the balance issue. Also, giving Japan an NO that costs it money if it DOESN’T control those islands once at war with the US might help the balance issue.

Marsh

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m