Clearing enemy AAA gns, & Air Attacking AAA gun

• In a territory where there is only the enemy AAA Gun/s, can air on conduct combat attack the AAA gun/s to clear it out of that territory ( after the AAA gun of course fires it’s free shots )?

BH

• I cant see why not….

• As Narvik has said; that is right, Bravehart.

• '17 '16 Customizer

I’m curious. Your question begs the question “Why would you?” If the only thing in that territory is AA guns, then why risk losing air units? They cannot shoot at plane flying over the territory on their way to elsewhere. AA guns cannot defend against land units so why not just wait & take them over when the territory is captured?

• I have done it, when I have air doing nothing. Is still a plus 5 TU loss to the other side. Perhaps the AA is on its way to a stack of Ground units and better dead, before it can. An AA unit can also block a Blitz, so if you have an allied nation following up, might need the territory empty.

• @wittmann:

I have done it, when I have air doing nothing. Is still a plus 5 TU loss to the other side. Perhaps the AA is on its way to a stack of Ground units and better dead, before it can. An AA unit can also block a Blitz, so if you have an allied nation following up, might need the territory empty.

Sharp and right on top Wittmann.

• Interesting responses, didn’t expect quite an answer!!

Well, Wittmann was on the same wave length as me, if you want to un block aa guns to allow blitzing to happen, the only way fwd is to attack the AAA guns using your air. Yes very ballsy, but if your desperate, then why the hell not if you have enough air power to do so right?!

So the order round of your combat would be:

1. the defending AA gun/s fires it’s AA shot at 1.
    2. your air units ( that survived ) fire on the AA guns
    3. the AA gun gets to defend at 1 or are they out of the game once destroyed in step 2?

BH

• AA guns have no combat ability, so if they don’t shoot down all attacking planes they are automatically killed.

• Perfect… Cheers Elk! Thanks for the clarification :-)

• Customizer

@SubmersedElk:

AA guns have no combat ability, so if they don’t shoot down all attacking planes they are automatically killed.

In this case, doesn’t the attacking plane have to score a hit before the AAA is destroyed? If enemy land units move into a territory then they automatically destroy the AAA but the plane does not end it’s turn in that territory.
    It seems to me like the AAA would take a shot.  Then, assuming it misses the attacking plane takes a shot.  If the plane misses, isn’t combat over with no casualties?

• knp…

Interesting. So if we’d take your example, and the AAA gun misses, and the air misses, then this would open up for another round of battle intil the mission is done ( kill AAA gun/s in that territory )?
    If a new round of combat, would the AAA gun/s have another chance at the free shot b4 the air tries to get a better roll of dice?

BH

• The AA is automatically eliminated after it has had its pre combat roll, if at least one Air unit survives. It does not get to shoot again and the Air unit(s) can go indefinitely.

• witt is correct. Think of it like transports. The air units just keep rolling dice until they hit the AAA, which have no rolls in response beyond the pre-battle AA round.

• Customizer

Okay, my mistake.  I think I was confusing this with SBRs and intercepting fighters.  That is only 1 combat round.  In this case you guys are right.  It’s a regular combat so it could last several rounds but the AAA only gets to fire at the beginning.  Thanks for the correction.

• Thanks again for thinking about my question!

BH

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m