Navel Battle w/ only AC fighters left.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Here’s the senerio. ANZAC conducts a navel battle against Japan in SZ 54.

ANZAC
    3 Fighters
    1 Cruiser

JAPAN
    1 AC w/ 1 fighter & 1 tac
    1 Destroyer

After the 3rd round of combat and miserable dice on both sides, ANZAC is left w/ 1 fighter. Japan has both planes left.

Here’s the question -can ANZAC, as the attacker, retreat from the battle? This would leave the Japan planes w/o a place to land thus having to “ditch” the planes.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

ANZAC can certainly do that. In fact, the planes would even have been lost if the AC would just have been damaged but otherwise still afloat. Depending on the situation, if I were ANZAC and Japan would have taken a hit on the AC during an earlier round, I would probably have retreated immediately after that round without even trying to kill the DD or the damaged AC, to inflict a good deal of damage on Japan while denying those planes further opportunities to shoot at that ANZAC units.

• If your opponent makes the mistake of taking a hit on an AC with no place to land the planes, retreating is a risk-free way of getting yourself free plane kills.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Thanks guys. That’s what I understood the rules to convey. My opponent thought that because it was a navel battle, there was no retreat. I explained that that was only true for  landings from sea, but he did not believe me.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

You can’t retreat from amphibious landings; but remember if you have a mixed land and sea force in an amphibious invasion, and all the amphibious participants have been destroyed, the remaining units over air and ground CAN then retreat, I believe.

He has 1 space to get the planes to survive, so that’s a good reason to stick close to the coast or a friendly island

• @taamvan:

You can’t retreat from amphibious landings; but remember if you have a mixed land and sea force in an amphibious invasion, and all the amphibious participants have been destroyed, the remaining units over air and ground CAN then retreat, I believe.

That’s correct.

@rulebook:

Keep the attacking overland units and seaborne land units
    separated on the battle strip. Attacking seaborne units
    can’t retreat. Attacking overland land units and air units
    can retreat (between rounds of combat).
    All attacking
    overland land units must retreat together as a group.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@taamvan:

That’s almost 100% correct.

In a mixed assault, where some ground forces are arriving amphibiously and others are arriving overland, the overland forces can ALWAYS retreat between rounds of combat, regardless of whether or not the forces arriving amphibiously have been destroyed or not.

Marsh

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Yes thank you for the reminder Marsh and Panther.  If they retreat separate from the undestroyed amphibious units, the amphibious units are left entirely on their own.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@taamvan:

Yes thank you for the reminder Marsh and Panther.  If they retreat separate from the undestroyed amphibious units, the amphibious units are left entirely on their own.

Yep. That’s the kind of signal you don’t want to receive if you’re in those amphibious units…

Marsh

• @Marshmallow:

@taamvan:

Yep. That’s the kind of signal you don’t want to receive if you’re in those amphibious units…

Marsh

They should have gotten a clue when they got assigned to the 146th Fodder Division

• @taamvan:

He has 1 space to get the planes to survive, so that’s a good reason to stick close to the coast or a friendly island

I disagree on the last part, see text in rulebook.

Retreating air units remain in the contested space temporarily. They complete their retreat movement during the Noncombat Move phase using the same rules as an air
    unit involved in a successful battle.

So in other words they can use there remaining movement.

• Sorry my misstake, depends on if you are attacking of defending.

Defending 1 space
    Attacking spaces left of movement

Another question: can an A-C move 2 with planes and than move the planes 4 more, i gues not if i am reading it the rigth way, but Some conformation would be nice.

• You read the rules correctly - the fighters movement is counted from their position at the start of the turn MarkoV

• '19 '17 '16

@Maddog77:

Here’s the question -can ANZAC, as the attacker, retreat from the battle? This would leave the Japan planes w/o a place to land thus having to “ditch” the planes.

Yes. Providing that Queensland is either in Allied hands or has/will only be taken this round. Point is that if Queensland is a valid landing space for Japanese planes, they don’t ditch.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m