• Hello All, new player here to A&A 1940 2nd and also new to A&A.org, so I hope I’m posting my question in the right spot.

I have a copy of A&A 1940 Europe and Pacific 2nd edition, and a friend and I were going to set up and play our first game as global.

My question is: Must you declare all of your battles during the combat movement phase? As in (move all of your game pieces into the area/zone you intend to attack with) ie. showing your hand (his words) and that after you begin actual combat (rolling the dice), you can no longer pick and choose other battles/combat moves even in other areas/zones correct?
    My friend claims that this is not true. “Show me where it says in the instructions book that you have to ‘declare’ all of your battles,” were his words. Now, I’m still sticking to my guns, because I’m going strictly buy the phases in the rule book and it makes a reference to “All combat movement is considered to take place at the same time”, but technically, that’s all it says in the rule book and it never does come out and say this (from what we could find). If I could get a little help finding in the rule book or someone pointing out where I might definitively find the answer I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    P.S. Awesome all things A&A site, great job to all that make it happen.

• '17

Pretty certain that you must declare all battles before rolling any dice.  Otherwise, one could see outcomes, and then pursue other attacks.  The only movement after dice rolls is “non-combat”.

• Sponsor

Hey Mr. Z, welcome to the forums (cool name BTW).

Perhaps my video series on real time game play might help answer a few questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgtaRwhY-PA

• Yes all combat moves must be done before resolving any combats. “Combat move” is a phase of a turn that precedes “combat”.

• Yes you set up all your combat moves at the same time, then resolve battles (roll dice). Once the dice start to roll you can’t add more battles. As the attacker you pick the order in which the battles are fought.

Being this will be your first game, you guys are bound to make some mistakes. You might forget to make some moves, count some territories for income, roll for convoys etc…… How you handle that through the learning curve is up to you.

PS: Watching Young Grasshoppers video series will be very helpful learning the game, and some basic strats

• Sponsor

@WILD:

Being this will be your first game, you guys are bound to make some mistakes. You might forget to make some moves, count some territories for income, roll for convoys etc…… How you handle that through the learning curve is up to you.

Well said.

• To add that the attacker can retreat after each round of dice, except land units landed amphibiously. A declared battle need not be seen through to the bitter end. An element of flexibility should other battle outcomes render a subsequent battle less attractive.

A warm welcome to the forum Mr.Z.

• Thank you all for your responses so far, and the warm welcome from everyone. I appreciate it very much. But I do have two more questions in reference to the combat move phase.

1. Has or does the combat move phase work the same in all or most of the previous versions of the the game? As in A&A classic, A&A revised, and A&A 50 anniversary edition? In reference to moving all attacking pieces into all of the spaces/battles intended to participate in for that factions turn. I am asking because we (my friend and and I) have played those specific versions before (its been a long time/years sense we played tho) and I do not believe I remember us playing the combat move phase in the way I read it now or from what all of you have responded with so far. Kind of embarrassed to think we may have been playing previous versions/games the wrong way all these years, lol. I guess I’m just trying to figure out where we may have gone wrong and how this combat move phase seems to be tripping us up now.

2. Can someone show me or point out “definitively” where I can find in the rule book about the combat move phase that says about declaring all of your battles and moving in all of attacking units into those spaces? Even if it is in a previous version rule book that we may have missed or possibly over-read. Again I’m asking because we may have been playing the combat move phase the wrong way in previous versions/games.

To: Young Grasshopper
    Yes, I have watched almost all of you youtube videos and noticed a lot of things you have done to help make this fantastic game even more interesting and enjoyable to play. You have done an excellent job on everything I’ve seen and Thank you for your input.

• In fact there is no “declare all battles and move in” stated in the rulebook(s). That idea might be the reason for your misinterpretation.

In the Combat Movement Phase, in principle (to keep it simple and not to list exceptions), you move all units that end their movements in hostile territories:

@rulebook:

During the Combat Move phase, all movement must end in a hostile space, with a few exceptions (see below).

or

@rulebook:

In this phase, you may move as many of your units into as many hostile territories and sea zones as you wish.

That’s it! Then this phase is over.

If the units that were moved in the Combat Movement Phase meet enemy units in the hostile territories, then combat will occur in the next phase, that is the Conduct Combat Phase:

@rulebook:

In this phase, you conduct combat against opposing units using the following sequence:

or very explicit in

In this phase, you resolve combat in each space that
    contains units from opposing sides.
    Complete all combat moves
    before resolving any combat.
    (An
    exception is an amphibious
    assault, in which sea combat must
    be handled before land combat.
    See Special Combats on page 19.)

HTH :-)

• @MR Z - Combat move has worked that way since the very first edition of A&A.

• Sponsor

@Mr.Z:

To: Young Grasshopper
    Yes, I have watched almost all of you youtube videos and noticed a lot of things you have done to help make this fantastic game even more interesting and enjoyable to play. You have done an excellent job on everything I’ve seen and Thank you for your input.

Thank you very much.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m