• So I just got this great game at Christmas and in the second game played I came across a situation which I’m hoping someone could explain.  I launched a sea battle in the sz surrounding Japan and an amphibious assault on the island of Japan as well. The sea battle involved two U.S. battleships, a destroyer and two planes with the Japanese defending with a battleship and two carriers with four planes. The battle ended with one U.S. battleship retreating and the Japanese ships sunk but three planes still alive.  I have two questions from this result. One, can the amphibious assault begin because the sea zone was cleared, or do the three planes have to be cleared as well.  And the second question. If the amphibious assault can begin, then can the three Japanese planes be used as defence of Japan as they could reach the island with their one move allowed from the carriers being sunk.

• Hi and welcome Fast Eddie.
    There is no amphibious assault. The Japanese have won the preceding naval battle. The Transport(s) retreats with the Battleship.
    The Japanese Fighters are still in the SZ. They land in Japan, after the US naval fleet has retreated.

• Thanks for the clarification.  Much appreciated.

• Enjoy your games and come back with any other questions.

• There is one other question that I have.  In the manual, on page 15, it says that attacking seaborne units cannot retreat.  Is that only for ones involved in a sea battle along with an amphibious assault?  Because on page 17 it says that sea units can retreat to an adjacent space.

• Hello again.
    It means amphibious ground units.
    Air units and any land units which attacked over land, in the same battle as some that lands amphibiously, can retreat. Not any ground units which disembarked from Transports. They have to fight to the death.
    Paye 17 is talking about Naval units/battles.

• Very good. Thanks again.

• Hi there guys,

I got myself the 41 edition as an introduction to A&A, and i love it!!!
    I got a question about sunken carriers and there defending fighters.
    As a first move Germany sinks the Brittish carrier (with 1 fighter on it).
    What will happen with the fighter?
    Does it go down with the carrier or can it land somewhere safely (like on Gibralter)?

Cheerz,
    Jorkoni

• @Jorkoni:

I got myself the 41 edition as an introduction to A&A, and i love it!!!
    I got a question about sunken carriers and there defending fighters.
    As a first move Germany sinks the Brittish carrier (with 1 fighter on it).
    What will happen with the fighter?
    Does it go down with the carrier or can it land somewhere safely (like on Gibralter)?

Welcome to the forum, Jorkoni.

See:

@rulebook:

Stranded Defending Fighters: Stranded defending fighters also have to land during this phase. These are carrier-based
    fighters whose aircraft carrier has been destroyed in combat. They are allowed to move up to 1 space to find a friendly
    territory or carrier on which to land. If no landing space is available, they are removed from play.
    This movement occurs
    before the acting player makes any noncombat moves.

So yes, the surviving fighter can land in Gibraltar.

HTH :-)

• Ahh great P@nther, thnx a lot!!!

Must have overlooked it, so much to learn and keep track of at the same time…  :-)
    Then a " follow up question" .

So the carrier got sunk, the plane lands safely!
    Does the 1 movement to land safely counts as 1 movement the next turn or not?
    So can the fighter move 3 or 4 spaces the next Brittish turn?

Thnx in advance,
    Jorkoni

• No problem, don’t hesitate to ask all your questions here.  :-)

The movement of 1 for the stranded fighter is a defender’s movement that occurs at the beginning of the attacker’s noncombat move phase.
    This is independent from the regular 4-spaces movement when it comes to the British turn. So the answer is “4”.

• Clear! Thnx a lot again!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m