Carrier attack with fighters on board

• Can a UK carrier in sea zone 29(carrying UK fighters) move during combat move and attack a jap destroyer in sz 31?Can the fighters participate in the attack or do they have to take off in order to do it? Im somewhat confused because the rule book says on page 13 special combat movement: " Any fighters being carried on an a carrier launch before the carrier moves and move independently of the carrier." Does this mean that I cant do that attack since the planes didnt launch and are thus considered cargo? And if I can do this attack, say the japanese destroyer scores a hit and i remove the carrier are the fighters allowed to move up to one space to land on friendly carrier/territory? (I found the book only talking about it in the case of stranded defending fighters) (which in this case they are the attacking). And if the fighters can move to a friendly carrier /territory, would it be less 1 space because they moved on board the carrier from sea zone 29 to sz 31 (1 space)? Please clarify!

• @Swift:

“Any fighters being carried on an a carrier launch before the carrier moves and move independently of the carrier.”

This sentence you quoted from the rulebook gives the relevant clue to the situation: The fighters have already launched when you move the carrier to SZ 31.
    It is up to you whether the planes join the carrier in the attack or fly elsewhere. They do not stay aboard as cargo. They can even stay in SZ 29 independently from the carrier that moved to SZ 31. They also do have their standard 4-moves. So if they join the attack and move from SZ 29 to SZ 31 as combat move they still have three movement points later as Noncombat Move for a safe landing.

HTH :-)

• Thanks a lot P@nther, its very clear now.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m