• If LH and Wizards of the Coast ever were to develop a 1939 game of the series, what do you want to see, please do not try to post answers like “We already have a game like that”, “Just houserule your 1940 game”, or even “It will never happen”, this is not to refer to unofficial games, modifications to existing games, or the possibility of such a game existing, simply go under the assumption here if it was in development and is meant to be an official game to the series. Thank you.

New Powers: Canada, and some extra Axis nations (can’t think of any, sorry fellas)

New Units: Split Infantry into Conscripts and Elites to provide a weaker and stronger variant, Tanks into Light and Heavy classes for same reasons, 4 artillery types (anti-air, anti-mechanized, coastal defense, and your basic model for infantry divisions), include a Tank destroyer unit, two or three extra air unit types, a defensive fort unit, and a couple of sea units.

New Rules: Losing your capital results in you losing half your IPCs and you can not perform combat moves for your next turn, and you need to select the territory with the highest IPC value and containing a VC as your new capital, IPC production is now at 50% till liberation. Victory conditions will be via a point system, similar to Young Grasshopper’s concept for 1940, that way if games end early, a victor IS decided. Combat goes through various phases, with units involved in many of these: example, the first phase is artillery phase, certain units can attack and defend in this phase, as well as only some can be allowed to be selected as casualties, then the following phase is aircombat phase, to which a similar process happens, thus many units can attack multiple times, after all phases are done, the combat ends and is the territory or sea zone, if unconquered, is treated as contested. Have neutrals work like they did in WW1 1914, only friendly to specific nations, sometimes of the opposite side (Romania friendly with UK and Germany for example).

New extras: The map should be colorful and easy to read, all units for all powers should have their own mold, Europe, for scale, should have France with 5 territories, obviously less active territories and regions, such as the Americas and Africa, should be shrunk.

Starting IPCs: Germany 40(changed), USSR 57, UK 29, France 24, Japan 26, USA 72, China 19, Canada 13, ANZAC 14, Italy 17

National Objectives: Have it setup to where Germany gains tons of money via many one-time objectives, to allow them to later attack the USSR, but not to early. Go from there to get more ideas, but each nation should at least have 5.

New VCs: Novosibirsk, Vladivostok, and more, each nation needs at least 5 for error room. Add VCs to neutral territories.

• @Ryuzaki_Lawliet:

Starting IPCs: Germany 30, USSR 57, UK 29, France 24, Japan 26, USA 72, China 19, Canada 13, ANZAC 14, Italy 17

From exactly whom did you get this numbers ?

I got Harrisons book of the world economy during WWII, and his numbers don’t look anything like yours. And even if USA had the greatest Gross Domestic Production of the world in 1939, they only used 1 % of that for military outlays. USSR had less GDP than Germany in 1939 but spent 60 % on the military burden.

To me it looks like your numbers is based on the A&A Global 1940 map, but all players start with 1939 borders.

• @Ryuzaki_Lawliet:

New Powers: Canada, and some extra Axis nations (can’t think of any, sorry fellas)

New Units: Split Infantry into Conscripts and Elites to provide a weaker and stronger variant, Tanks into Light and Heavy classes for same reasons, 4 artillery types (anti-air, anti-mechanized, coastal defense, and your basic model for infantry divisions), include a Tank destroyer unit, two or three Fighter types, a defensive fort unit, and a couple of sea units.

You want each current unit to be split into 4 different units with unique cost, values and abilities. Need to use a 12 sided dice then. You also want nation specific sculpts for every units, so we must multiply the current sculpt count with 4, and add a number of new nations too. I figure Hasbro will need to make a lot of sculpts that will never make it to the table.

• @Narvik:

@Ryuzaki_Lawliet:

New Units: Split Infantry into Conscripts and Elites to provide a weaker and stronger variant, Tanks into Light and Heavy classes for same reasons, 4 artillery types (anti-air, anti-mechanized, coastal defense, and your basic model for infantry divisions), include a Tank destroyer unit, two or three Fighter types, a defensive fort unit, and a couple of sea units.

You want each current unit to be split into 4 different units with unique cost, values and abilities. Need to use a 12 sided dice then. You also want nation specific sculpts for every units, so we must multiply the current sculpt count with 4, and add a number of new nations too. I figure Hasbro will need to make a lot of sculpts that will never make it to the table.

@Ryuzaki_Lawliet:

If LH and Wizards of the Coast ever were to develop a 1939 game of the series, what do you want to see, please do not try to post answers like “We already have a game like that”, “Just houserule your 1940 game”, or even “It will never happen”, this is not to refer to unofficial games, modifications to existing games, or the possibility of such a game existing, simply go under the assumption here if it was in development and is meant to be an official game to the series. Thank you.

READ, and I only listed Artillery with 4 sculpts, with only a few others with only 2. I also meant actually 2 or 3 extra air units, it’s this percocet.

@Narvik:

@Ryuzaki_Lawliet:

Starting IPCs: Germany 30, USSR 57, UK 29, France 24, Japan 26, USA 72, China 19, Canada 13, ANZAC 14, Italy 17

From exactly whom did you get this numbers ?

I got Harrisons book of the world economy during WWII, and his numbers don’t look anything like yours. And even if USA had the greatest Gross Domestic Production of the world in 1939, they only used 1 % of that for military outlays. USSR had less GDP than Germany in 1939 but spent 60 % on the military burden.

To me it looks like your numbers is based on the A&A Global 1940 map, but all players start with 1939 borders.

Economy is based on the entire war within reason, I want each nation being worthwhile to play, national objectives fill the void for Germany, as I stated. I suppose 40 IPCs is much better for Germany, but I don’t want them to outproduce USSR in round 1 without NO being used, otherwise no use in playing USSR, as they will fall surely while USA and UK saves the day which I have grown tired of in every other A&A game.

• What if I told you this game already do exist, its called the struggle http://ww2wargame.com/

• @Narvik:

What if I told you this game already do exist, its called the struggle http://ww2wargame.com/

Once again, I’m trying to be nice

@Ryuzaki_Lawliet:

If LH and Wizards of the Coast ever were to develop a 1939 game of the series, what do you want to see, please do not try to post answers like “We already have a game like that”, “Just houserule your 1940 game”, or even “It will never happen”, this is not to refer to unofficial games, modifications to existing games, or the possibility of such a game existing, simply go under the assumption here if it was in development and is meant to be an official game to the series. Thank you.

Please stop derailing.

• Customizer

If the game were to have a 1939 start date, you would have a lot of extra countries to have units for. Here’s what comes to mind just off the top of my head:
    ALLIED or Neutral but attacked by Axis
    Poland
    Norway
    Denmark
    Holland
    Belgium
    Yugoslavia
    Greece
    AXIS
    Hungary
    Bulgaria
    Romania
    Finland

Those are just for Europe. If you include the Pacific, I think Burma had an army so they would be Allied or Neutral. Thailand was Pro-Japanese.
    Even though these minor nations wouldn’t need the whole range of different units like you mentioned in your original post, most would at least need a sort of basic set of pieces (infantry, artillery, tank, fighter plane, medium bomber, transport ship, submarine, destroyer, and cruiser). You could probably do away with capital ships for the smaller nations. Also, for the land locked nations you could probably do away with ships all together. Even so, that would be a lot of different new pieces in many colors.
    Then again, WOTC might simply have the minor nations just share sculpts of the bigger nations just in different colors (German sculpts for Hungary, Romania, etc. and British or French sculpts for Belgium, Holland, etc.)
    If you get into too many new sculpts, that will surely jack up the price and at some point, it will be cost prohibitive. Either it will simply cost too much for WOTC to make the game or if they do, they will have to price it too high for people to buy it.

That being said, it does sound like a very interesting project. I am wondering about the political situations. Could you make different choices?
    Like could Germany decide NOT to invade Poland first thing and instead go after France?
    If Germany does invade Poland, Will the Soviet Union also invade Poland?

I ask this because WW 1 basically started when Austria/Hungary invaded Serbia. In Axis & Allies 1914, they force you to invade Serbia as Austria/Hungary round 1 and that gets the game started. Whatever else Austria/Hungary does, they HAVE to attack Serbia. So, in a proposed Axis & Allies 1939 game, would Germany be forced to invade Poland first thing? OR could they take another course?
    I’ve always been fascinated by the “What If” scenario.

• Burma was a British colony.

• This post is deleted!

• I can imagine, at most, we would only get Canada, India, and two axis powers as new nations, with the two best candidates being Finland and Siam. Siam since Japan is all alone in the east side of the map, and Finland since it will allow the winter war to take place and give Russia something to do till Germany attacks.

I would prefer neutral pieces to come with the game, but I can settle with a printed images.

For neutral rules, something akin to WW1 1914 would be most suitable, that way, neutrals like Mongolia would be only friendly to Russia but neutral to everyone else, and can solve the Poland issue, Poland would be pro-UK only.

• Why wait for LH, just get HBG’s Global 39 game and add pieces to that game with your own rules. They have been adding new pieces with rules for the pieces on there website. Change the starting ICP’s and mess around with it.

I have 1 D6 39 game and 1D12 39 game that is more advanced than HBG’s 39 game with the pieces you mentioned ( and more ) in your posts. I can post cost and values if you want.

• @SS:

Why wait for LH, just get HBG’s Global 39 game and add pieces to that game with your own rules. They have been adding new pieces with rules for the pieces on there website. Change the starting ICP’s and mess around with it.

I have 1 D6 39 game and 1D12 39 game that is more advanced than HBG’s 39 game with the pieces you mentioned ( and more ) in your posts. I can post cost and values if you want.

I already gave someone reasons why. Anyway, I don’t like the map used for 1939, too many oversized territories that see little action, and the ones that do are too small. It’s worse than the official A&A games. The game itself is fine, but I wouldn’t play it more than once on table, I would prefer if someone released a Triple A version of it already, I would play more often. My major gripe with it is the IPCs, too little, so many 0 IPC territories it’s almost laughable. The political rules are also ridiculous, too many.

• :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:  W E

• '12

@Narvik:

What if I told you this game already do exist, its called the struggle http://ww2wargame.com/

I own it and its an amazing board game.

• Customizer

Hmmmmm…… Well I don’t see why you posted this here RL, as this is a variants forum which includes exactly what you don’t want reffered to in your OP. I’d suggest you read the the official A&A Global introduction in the game instructions as to why Larry Harris did not start in 1939. Not sure what you expect as far responses go.

You could try posting this on the Harris Game Design website and get a better answer. I’d suggest asking Larry and seeing what his answer is. If you get that please feel free to post it here.

• 1939 Global from HBG.

Www.historicalboardgaming.com

Developing a game that starts in 1936

• Burma declare war against the allies.
    Wang Jing Weis-China to.
    Laos and Cambodja was independent states in august 1945.
    Are this states axis?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m