• Sponsor

Here’s my video helping new players with the United Kingdom, I hope it was good advice and accurate according to the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oRnrbJErvk

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Nice vid! Solid overview!

Only thing I might expand on, would be convoy disruption as part of the Taranto control logic. Basically shooting to strangle Italian convoys, as a corollary to wrecking the Regia Marina and denying their Med NOs. Maybe it could be mentioned in subtitle, or part of the Italy strategy vid.

Great stuff man

• Sponsor

@Black_Elk:

Nice vid! Solid overview!

Only thing I might expand on, would be convoy disruption as part of the Taranto control logic. Basically shooting to strangle Italian convoys, as a corollary to wrecking the Regia Marina and denying their Med NOs. Maybe it could be mentioned in subtitle, or part of the Italy strategy vid.

Great stuff man

AAHHH YES, forgot about that, I also see that I called Malta Malaya, and said that strategic bombers defend at 2 instead of one… lol. Oh well, overall I’m happy with it.

• Great video, young grasshopper!  You must have put so much time and effort to making it.  I wish that I had watched such a guide before my first G40 game last year.

• Very nice YG, the UK needs to max defend her capitals round one. That is the most important thing for a new player to know. Good tips all around.

I agree that the Italian navy should be neutered as you pointed out. It will cost you the UK Med fleet in the long run (German counter attack), but the UK can recover by bringing in the Indian fleet if need be, and can also build support ships and ground from S Africa. I agree that running the UK navy through the straight to the Red Sea is pretty cowardly, and I like the “grow a pair” analogy lol. There is some other thinks the UK can do, but that comes with more experience.

You also mentioned building a Persian IC to support Egypt and Russia. That is a good place to build as you pointed out, but it also depends on your overall allied strategy. If the Japanese are allowed to grow (US more focus on Europe), they very well could skip India and go for your Persian IC. You know the old saying “If you build it they will come”. lol

• Sponsor

@Arthur:

Great video, young grasshopper!  You must have put so much time and effort to making it.  I wish that I had watched such a guide before my first G40 game last year.

Thanks Authur, It’s not that much effort really… I just hit the record button on my iphone camera and start talking.

• Sponsor

@WILD:

Very nice YG, the UK needs to max defend her capitals round one. That is the most important thing for a new player to know. Good tips all around.

I agree that the Italian navy should be neutered as you pointed out. It will cost you the UK Med fleet in the long run (German counter attack), but the UK can recover by bringing in the Indian fleet if need be, and can also build support ships and ground from S Africa. I agree that running the UK navy through the straight to the Red Sea is pretty cowardly, and I like the “grow a pair” analogy lol. There is some other thinks the UK can do, but that comes with more experience.

You also mentioned building a Persian IC to support Egypt and Russia. That is a good place to build as you pointed out, but it also depends on your overall allied strategy. If the Japanese are allowed to grow (US more focus on Europe), they very well could skip India and go for your Persian IC. You know the old saying “If you build it they will come”. lol  Â

Thanks Wild Bill, I probably should have expressed more about overall reactionary play for the UK, but the foundation is solid for new players like you said. I also regret not explaining the access to Persia from the sea, not only for Japan to invade an IC there, but to also point out the advantage of allied ships supporting that area as well.

• Looking forward to the US video, sounds like you are going to get into a landing in Spain. Might want to just go into basics in the US strategy, then do a Neutral Crush Video. As you know you need all the allies on the same page for that, and you need to kinda hide your true intent. The US is easy, because Spain is in striking distance from the Eastern US, or you could walk over from Gibraltar and amphib from Eastern USA at the same time if you set it up (more ground units and a nice transport shuck-shuck). You also need to coordinate the UK air units to come in to protect your landing in Spain. It is also nice to have the UK ready to take Saudi, and the African neutrals. Having UK India looking like they are running from the Japanese, and taking Afghanistan etc…… Maybe have Russia (or UK) ready to hit & run Turkey with a few ground and air units (just so the axis don’t get the free inf). I also like to have the Anz ready to take South America. It is well with in their range, and the income they get is nearly untouchable. Just need a second transport and hit Chile (cruiser shot), then Argentina on the next turn (air from New Zealand can hit Argentina then land on Chile). From there you can walk to Brazil (pick up more guys) and take Venezuela. I don’t believe you need to worry about the Mongolians now because they can’t side with the axis unless directly attacked by Russia (I think?). That leaves only the Swedes going to the axis side (not too bad). Sorry I’m going on, but a Neutral Crush video would fit into your video library very well.

• Sponsor

Thanks Wild Bill, you have definitely inspired me… I will make a new thread for advice on my American strategy video.

• Are you going to mention the Norway strategy. For new players, its where the us takes Norway and Finland, builds a minor factory in both places, and gets increased factory production. That way, the us can place down 10 units in the Norway region. Also what is your guys opinion on this plan? BTW, great video.

• @DessertFox599:

Are you going to mention the Norway strategy. For new players, its where the us takes Norway and Finland, builds a minor factory in both places, and gets increased factory production. That way, the us can place down 10 units in the Norway region. Also what is your guys opinion on this plan? BTW, great video.

I think you mean 8? An improved mIC can produce at most 4 units.

• In Second Edition, it is 3 at a Minor IC and you can’t build a Major in Norway, unless you are Germany. 
    OOB 1st Edition, without Alpha changes, would be 10 in Norway and 3 allowed in Finland.
    It is a good US strategy.

• Minor complexes can only build 3 units.  Majors can no longer be built on territories in which the controlling country was not the original owner.  Ex. USA cannot build a Major on Norway.

Edit:  what wittmann said.

• @wittmann:

In Second Edition, it is 3 at a Minor IC and you can’t build a Major in Norway, unless you are Germany. 
    OOB 1st Edition, without Alpha changes, would be 10 in Norway and 3 allowed in Finland.
    It is a good US strategy.

I know, but I think they were referring to the technology of Improved Factory Production, where mIC’s can produce 4 units and MIC’s can produce 12.

• Sorry!

• Whoops.  We never play with tech, I didn’t even know that was one of the upgrades!

• What I meant was that the allies would build two minor factories, one in Norway, and the other in Finland. I thought increased factory production meant that you could build five units in a minor factory. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

• '16 '15 '10

Cool video.

I would try to gradually include more A&A vocabulary into these videos, using repitition alot so that people pick up on it.  For example, a novice A&A player needs to familiarize themselves with the concepts “count” and “punch”.  You could illustrate these concepts in your discussion of opening battles like SZ 97.  You could say “UK has a punch of 15 and a count of 7 against Italy’s punch of 19 and count of 6.  To minimize risk, UK should bring in another fighter to increase his punch to 18 with a count of 8.  But even then there is a 20% risk of failure if Italy scrambles.  So we bring in one more fighter to make the punch 21 and the count 9…with this deployment Italy would be a foolish to scramble”…and so on.  Try to integrate concepts and vocabulary into the analysis of opening battles so the viewer gets an idea of the reasoning behind all this.

Looking forward to the next one!

• I’ve never heard the words “count” and “punch” used for those concepts…I usually use “attack/defense” or “pips” for 6*expected number of hits, and “hits” for the number of hits that can be taken.

• Sponsor

My vocabulary and the way I talk comes naturally, adding words in my videos that I don’t use during game play would just come across as sounding phony.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m