Question regarding Iraq Neutrality Status

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Yesterday in a game of Global 1940 2nd Edition (1942 scenario) the British strafed Iraq on UK1 to weaken it so the Russians would have an easier time of taking it on R2.  The question came up as to the political status of Iraq as far as could Italian aircraft now land in Iraq since it had been attacked.  The rules (below) seem to be unclear since at first they say that Iraq “immediately becomes part of the alliance opposing the power that attacked it” and then say that “the territory remains uncontrolled” and is treated like a friendly neutral.

Our take was that if it is still “uncontrolled” then Italian aircraft cannot land there.  We also tested it on TripleA and TripleA would not allow us to land planes there so we agreed that for that one game we would rule they could not but since we know TripleA is not always correct we wanted an official answer for future games.

Thank you in advance for answering our question.

From the Global 1940 Second Edition Rules:
    When a neutral territory is invaded, it is no longer considered neutral and immediately becomes part of the alliance opposing the power that attacked it.
    If the attack upon the formerly neutral territory is unsuccessful (the territory is not captured), any remaining defending units stay in the territory but cannot move. The territory remains uncontrolled (place a national control marker on it face down to indicate its new status), but units from the side it is now allied with can move into it and take control of it and its remaining units in the same way as if it were a friendly neutral.

• You understood correctly. The Italians are not allied to Iraq, so cannot land there. They need to first  move a ground unit (not AA) into the territory, so as to claim it as theirs.

• '17

@wittmann:

You understood correctly. The Italians are not allied to Iraq, so cannot land there. They need to first  move a ground unit (not AA) into the territory, so as to claim it as theirs.

I think you’re mistaken wittman.

Check out Gamerman’s post here (2a under Neutrals):
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30776.0

• Thanks Wheatbeer.
    I have read that post by Gamerman. Still not convinced though.

AndrewAAgamer: please wait on a Rules Official.
    Obviously, I apologise if I have misspoken and mislead you.

• '17

Andrew, you might want to post this in the FAQ in case Krieghund doesn’t notice this thread. He’s the most official source.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have posted in the FAQ area per your advice.

• Official Q&A

Iraq is now on the Axis side and is considered friendly to all Axis powers.  Any Axis units may move into or through it, but only land units may take control of it.  The rule says only that it can be taken control of in the same way as if it were a friendly neutral, not that it is a friendly neutral.

• '17 '16 '15

so to clarify the Italians can land

• Sorry Andrew.
    Thank you Krieg for correcting me and well done Wheatbeer.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m