• Sponsor

After a long day at a gaming convention playing A&A 1940 Global on Saturday, a few of us went back to my bunker to check out my new 1942.2 game. I watched while 2 guys had a quick run (I was taking care of my dogs and cooking dinner) and the German player ended up in London. Of course I’m not sure how high the strategy ladder goes and if there are ways to make sealion more difficult than what the UK player did, but it seems like a viable threat.

What do you guys think?

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

IMHO definitely a threat to limit what UK could do in first 2-3 rounds to say the least…I think this adds more dimension to Germany’s strategy how to versus Allies.

• Sponsor

@innohub:

IMHO definitely a threat to limit what UK could do in first 2-3 rounds to say the least…I think this adds more dimension to Germany’s strategy how to versus Allies.

So is it important to always present the threat, and is there a standard G1 purchase to achieve this no matter what Russia does R1?

• I think you have to safeguard India first. I would not worry on UK1. Just be aware of the possibility, as Innohub says. When did the Sealion happen in your friends’ game?

Hi Innohub. Hope you have been well. You seem to be the player always with a game or two on here. Hope you are still enjoying your games.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@Young:

@innohub:

So is it important to always present the threat, and is there a standard G1 purchase to achieve this no matter what Russia does R1?

I think it’s not - it depends on Germany’s strategy.  Germany can typically afford to post a threat to UK on round 1 by getting a AC to keep a transport or 2 reachable to UK, if he chooses to.  Or Germany could choose ignore UK and go full land force against Russia.  IMHO that’s what makes Germany more fun to play  - now I have options  :evil:

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@wittmann:

I think you have to safeguard India first. I would not worry on UK1. Just be aware of the possibility, as Innohub says. When did the Sealion happen in your friends’ game?

Hi Innohub. Hope you have been well. You seem to be the player always with a game or two on here. Hope you are still enjoying your games.

Thank you. I have had some fun playing against different players.  Still losing from time to time but I think I’m more competent than last time we played and let me know when you would like a game :lol:.

I also got Europe and Pacific now though haven’t got a chance to play.  it’s hard to find people playing face to face here
    : -(…

• Sponsor

I think it was round 3, but could have been round 4, I was not watching the whole time… but after they stopped due to how late it got, I asked, “why didn’t UK have a bomber in London 1942?” which prompted us to look at the setup chart, that’s when they realized they forgot it (LOL… I can never understand missing units in the setup when you got the chart in your hands).

• I can’t at the moment, Innohub,  but we will play again soon. I enjoyed our games and chats.

YG: my beet friend hates it when I mess up the set up. (I blame my bad eyesight. )
    He insists on our checking now. It takes forever!

• Sponsor

@wittmann:

I can’t at the moment, Innohub,  but we will play again soon. I enjoyed our games and chats.

YG: my beet friend hates it when I mess up the set up. (I blame my bad eyesight. )
    He insists on our checking now. It takes forever!

lol… so you’re playing with a handicap? It took me 4 years to memorize the G40 setup, but should only take me a year or 2 to memorize 1942.2 (only because I alone setup all the games at my bunker).

• I told him I remembered, that I knew the set up, then got it wrong. He doesn’t trust me any more.
    I am shortsighted and the light in the cellar is poor. All these low energy light bulbs are killing me!

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Did they build their Carrier in the Med or sz5?
    For me the Med is a more viable option, because it allows you to bring a fighter into the destroyer attack off suez.

You can still field 9 infantry if you’re not really after Sea Lion but just want to make things hard on the Royal Airforce or Africa by expanding the German fleet. Or I have seen a destroyer, 5 inf and artillery piece. Or 1 carrier, 1 destroyer, 1 transport out of the Italy factory with the rest on whatever.

Med fleet is fairly useless if sz 16 is closed though. So that could factor into it.

Sea Lion posturing for me is more about maintaining fleet parity and screwing over India than actually being able to take London.

Usually I go on the ground with Artillery and Tanks, or in the Air with bombers and fighters, rather than by sea with expensive ships. But I have seen players pull it off. I’d still say it’s very difficult though.

is there a standard G1 purchase to achieve this no matter what Russia does R1?

All you really have to do to prevent it is land your Russian fighters in Archangel on R1 instead of Moscow or Caucasus. Even landing 1 Yak in Archangel, would be enough to deter a transport buy for me with Germany. I think G2/G3 chances only work if Allies make a mistake.

Then again, it depends if what you’re trying to achieve is just a German fleet that can make UK spend on defense, or a German fleet that can actually invade and take London in the first few rounds of gameplay. The former is doable, the latter is kind of a pipe dream. Soon as you start buying transports and carriers you essentially reverse roles with UK/USA. Now they are the ones who can just buy a ton of bombers to wipe you, whereas usually it’s the other way round haha.

Here’s a thing you can try that is relatively inexpensive, just buy a lone Baltic destroyer. Sometimes this is enough to deter the Baltic air strike, and it only costs 8 ipcs. Then you can decide on G2 whether further investment in sz5 is workable or not, without giving up your position against Russia in the process.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m