Axis&Allies.org Weapons Development and National Advanta

• Weapons Development

1. Jet Fighters
    Your fighters are now jet fighters. Their defense increases to 5, and they may intercept bombers (including superfortresses) in a SBR. Intercepting fighters attack on a 3 were as the bomber defend on a 1, the combat last for one cycle of combat. Any fighters used in a interceptor role may not also defend in a regular land attack against that same territory on the same turn.

2. Rockets
    Your antiaircraft guns are now rocket launchers. In addition to their normal combat function, they can reduce enemy industrial production. See Special Combats in Phase 4: Conduct Combat for more information.

3. Super Submarines
    Your submarines are now super submarines. They attack on a 3 and may not be attacked by enemy aircraft when alone or in company with other submarines, unless an enemy destroyer is present.

4. Long-Range Aircraft
    Your fighters are now long-range fighters, and your bombers are now long-range bombers. Your fighters’ range increases to 6. Your bombers’ range increases to 8.

5. Super Destroyers
    Your destroyers are now super destroyers. They may like battleships, conduct coastal bombardment during an amphibious assault at an attack roll of 3 or less. In addition they have a move of 3.

6. Heavy Bombers
    Your bombers are now heavy bombers. They roll two dice each in an attack or strategic bombing raid (see Special Combats in Phase 4: Conduct Combat), but still only a single die on defense.

National Advantages

Soviet Union National Advantages

1. Russian Winter
    Russia’s greatest ally was its winter cold. Germany’s invasion stopped dead as the snows came down.
    Once during the game in your collect income phase, you can declare a severe winter. Until the start of your next turn, your infantry defend on a 3.

2. Nonaggression Treaty
    The Japanese refrained from attacking the Soviet Union during most of the war. They already had one bear coming at them from the east.
    The first time in the game that the Japanese forces attack any red territory, you may place four of your infantry for free in that territory before resolving combat. If Japan attacks more than one red territory in that turn, you may decide which such territory receives the infantry. If you attack an orange territory before Japan attacks you, you lose this national advantage.

3. Guard Tank Regiments (replace Mobile Industry)
    Russia used heavy tank regiments as guards of Moscow. Invulnerable to any standard anti-tank weapons available of that time, these tanks were instrumental in saving the capital.
    Your tanks in Russia defend on a 5.

4. Conscripts (replace Salvage)
    The Red Army won many battles with their raw manpower, by using untrained infantry and many times unequipped.
    During your mobilize new units phase, you may place one of your infantry for free in any red territory if you control it. This free unit is in addition to the group of units you just purchased.

5. Katyusha Rockets (replace Lend-Lease)
    The Soviets were able to supplement the artillery with massed batteries of rocket launchers. The sheer volume of fire more than compensated for individual lack of accuracy.
    Your artillery attacks on a 3, for the first combat cycle only. Thereafter, only one artillery unit can retain this increased attack factor of 3.

6. Trans-Siberian Railway
    The Trans-Siberian Railway spanned 10,000 kilometers from Moscow to Vladivostok, the longest main line in the world.
    In the noncombat move phase, your infantry, antiaircraft guns, and artillery may move 2 territories per turn only among these territories: Russia, Novosibirsk, Yakut S.S.R., and Buryatia S.S.R.

Germany National Advantages

1. U-Boat Program (replaces U-Boat Interdiction)
    During World War II, 1,162 U-Boats were built, and these U-Boats sank 14,687,231 tons of Allied shipping.
    Your submarines now cost 6 IPC’s.

2. Atlantic Wall
    The Germans fortified the European Atlantic coast with massive defensive systems from Norway to Spain.
    During any amphibious assault against a gray territory, all your infantry defend on a 3 during the first cycle of combat.

3. Panzergrenadiers (replace Panzerblitz)
    During World War II, the Germans had troops units that were designed for fighting alongside tanks. These were fully motorized units, so that they could at all times keep up with the tanks.
    Each of your tanks give one matching infantry one additional movement allowance. The tank and the infantry unit must leave from the same territory.

4. Wolf Packs (revised)
    Wolf packs of U-boats prowled the Atlantic, working together to down Allied convoys. The only sure thing about a U-boat was that there always was another nearby.
    Your submarines attack on a 3 (4 if you have the Super Submarines development) if there is more than one of them at the start of the combat cycle. When there are less than two submarines at the start of a combat cycle, this ability is lost. The Wolf Packs advantage does not improve defending submarines. Enemy destroyers do not affect this National Advantage. The submarines may come from different sea zones, but they must attack the same sea zone.

5. Tiger Tanks ( Luftwaffe Dive-Bombers)
    A single Tiger tank could halt the advance of a complete armored division. These tanks were massively protected and had an extremely powerful anti-tank gun, which were more than adequate to deal with any allied armored fighting vehicle of that time.
    Every third tank you have in each combat cycle, attack or defend on a 4.

6. Fortress Europe
    The Gustav line in Italy was ordered to hold at all costs. Those costs included tens of thousands of men on both sides.
    Your artillery in gray territories defends on a 3.

United Kingdom National Advantages

1. Radar
    Britain’s radar alerted it to the threat of German planes crossing the channel.
    UK owned antiaircraft guns in tan territories hit air units on a roll of 1 or 2.

2. Joint Strike
    The most powerful strike in the war was the joint Allied assault on Normandy. The planning required to launch this simultaneous invasion has never been equaled.
    Once during the game at the start of a round (before the Russian turn), you may declare a joint strike. That round, you complete your turn as normal, except you must skip combat move, conduct combat, and noncombat move phases. On those phases of the U.S. turn, the U.S. player uses your units in his or her combat move, conduct combat, and noncombat move phases together with his own units. You and the U.S. player must agree on attacking casualties, or the opposing player gets to choose them. Antiaircraft fire is rolled separately against each nationality of air units; all anti-U.K. dice are rolled before any anti-U.S. die is rolled. Weapons developments or national advantages still only apply to the units of the power that gained the development or has the advantage. A joint strike may not be called off once it is declared.

3. Enigma Decoded
    Working in a secret facility in Bletchley Park, Alan Turing’s cryptographers broke the codes of the Nazi Enigma machines. They could then send false messages back.
    Once per game, when Germany finishes its combat move phase, but before its conduct combat phase, you may make one special move. You may move any number of your units from any one adjacent space into one friendly space being attacked by Germany (Germany moving sea units to an empty sea zone does not count). Alternatively, you may move any number of your units from a space being attacked by Germany into an adjacent friendly space, but you must leave at least one of your units behind. This special move otherwise follows the rules for a noncombat move. If your units survive, they remain in the space to which they were moved.

4. British Commonwealth Troops (replace Mideast Oil)
    The British Commonwealth Troops served in all theatres in World War II - from Europe to North Africa to South-East Asia.
    During your mobilize new units phase, you may place one of your infantry in one of the following territories if you control it: India, Western Canada, Eastern Canada, Australia, South Africa, Anglo-Egypt, or New Zealand. This unit has to be purchased.

5. French Resistance
    France fell quickly to the Germans. Thousands of French patriots who would otherwise have died in battle on the frontlines later rose up against the occupiers.
    Once per game, if the Allies control Western Europe, you may place three of your infantry there for free during the mobilize new units phase of your turn.

6. Colonial Garrison
    World War II represents the height of the United Kingdom’s colonial empire. Two decades later the Commonwealth was a shadow of its world-spanning former self.
    You begin the game with one additional industrial complex in any tan territory with an income value of at least 1. (You still can’t have more than one industrial complex in a territory.)

Japan National Advantages

1. Tokyo Express
    The Japanese High Command used destroyer convoys to ferry infantry. Allied forces at Guadalcanal dubbed this the “Tokyo Express”.
    Each of your destroyers may act as a transport for one infantry. These destroyers follow the same rules for loading and offloading units as transports do.

2. Kamikaze Attacks (revised)
    A terrifying development was the willingness of Japanese pilots to fly their planes directly into U.S. ships. They even developed “Flying Bombs” piloted by the soldiers inside.
    Any Japanese fighter may perform a Kamikaze Attack and may use up all of its movement to reach a target of his choosing. A Kamikaze Attack must be declared during combat movement turn and they are only to be used during opening fire step of the first cycle of combat (meaning, their casualties cannot hit back). Kamikazes hit on a 4 and the target chosen may only be an enemy naval unit, except submarines. If an Aircraft Carrier is chosen as a target, any fighters on board can defend the Carrier on a 3 in the opening fire step. Any protecting fighters may than not also defend during the defenders roll turn against another attacking unit. Kamikaze fighters may not be taken as casualties, as they are destroyed when they make their attack.

3. Floatplane Fighters (replace Kaiten Torpedoes)
    With an empire stretching across thousands of kilometers of the Pacific, the Japanese specialized in good floatplane fighters.
    Your fighters may treat islands you control and adjacent sea zones as one. Therefore your fighters can travel in and out from an island group you control at no cost of movement.

4. Dreadnoughts (replace Lightning Assaults)
    Dreadnoughts or leviathans like Yamato and Musashi were the largest and most powerful battleships the world has ever seen.
    Your battleships have a first-strike capability (both attack and defense qualify). This capability is for the first round only. Any casualties are destroyed and removed from play, with no chance to counter-attack (it does not disrupt the special ability of a submarine).

5. Dug-In Defenders
    Many Japanese troops defending Pacific islands elected to die in their bunkers rather than surrender.
    All your infantry on islands defend on a 3.

6. Banzai Attacks
    A fearsome rallying cry of the Imperial Japanese Army, “Banzai!” meant, “May you live ten thousand years.”
    When you begin an attack with only infantry, all those infantry attack on a 2. This also applies to any amphibious assault in which all your attacking units in the land combat (other than those conducting shore bombardment) consist of only infantry.

United States National Advantages

1. Lend-Lease Program (replace Island Bases)
    During World War II, the U.S. military began administrating what became known as the “lend-lease program”. In this program, the U.S. gifted its allies with an array of military equipment and munitions, including ships.
    During your mobilize new units phase, you can convert one U.S. unit to an equivalent U.K. or Soviet unit. The conversion can only take place on an allied territory containing an industrial complex or in a sea zone adjacent to it. Remove the affected unit from play and replace it with the same unit of your allys’ color.

2. Chinese Divisions
    The Chinese had three hundred divisions in 1942. President Roosevelt spent much of the war trying to get Chiang Kai-Shek to do something with them.
    During your mobilize new units phase, you may place one of your infantry for free in one of the following territories if you control it: China, Sinkiang, or Kwangtung. This free unit is in addition to the group of units you just purchased.

3. Marines
    “Send in the Marines!” was a popular U.S. rallying cry in World War II.
    Your infantry attack on a 2 in the first cycle of the land combat portion of an amphibious assault. Even if supported by artillery, their attack remains 2.

4. Mechanized Infantry
    With its fleet of trucks, the U.S. Army was the most mobile force of soldiers in World War II.
    Your infantry have a move of 2 and may blitz as tanks do.

5. Liberty Ship Program (replace Fast Carriers)
    In 1941, the U.S. embarked on a massive expansion of the merchant marine fleet under the auspices of the Emergency Shipbuilding Program. The standard Liberty ship was the centerpiece of this program.
    Your transports now cost 6 IPC’s.

6. Superfortresses (revised)
    The B-29 Superfortress flew higher than any other plane in the U.S. arsenal.
    Your bombers are immune to antiaircraft fire and defend on a 2. An enemy antiaircraft gun can roll one die against only each attacking fighter. (If no fighters are in the attacking force, the antiaircraft gun cannot fire.)

I don’t like Tiger Tanks as much due to it’s complexity…possible a first strike Capability on the first cycle although that might be too powerful… if we(you :wink: ) did add that maybe the Russians should get a T-34 Advantage…

GG

• @Guerrilla:

I don’t like Tiger Tanks as much due to it’s complexity…possible a first strike Capability on the first cycle although that might be too powerful… if we(you :wink: ) did add that maybe the Russians should get a T-34 Advantage…

GG

These revised advantages are truly balanced and I playtested most of them in some 15 to 20 games. Some of them need some work but Mr. Andersson seems to have found out it him self. I have to say Mr. Andersson have managed to impress me a lot with his creative and effective ideas. I love his ideas and find them very balanced, the guys and I who plays the game have decided to implement most of these rules as a standard. We will consider the last changes, and find them really nice. Again thank you Mr. Andersson! :D

Even if I have not used the Tiger Tank advantage for Germany yet, I do think it will do GG. The reason is that Germany always (when I play) rely on tanks in masses. That is why it will be a great benefit for them in hunting any russian infantry down. Not to mention that Tigers in combination with Panzergrenadiers would offer in Affrica! A first strike capability would be too powerful IMO! This advantage is just perfect as is and not too complicated IMO! Try it, I will. Too much offense to Germany will destroy the game balance, since they need to be aggresive. I also think that Panzergrenadiers will be better than Panzerblitz that it replace, it is better for the Affrican campaign and as good as Panzerblitz on the Eastern Front. But I liked the SS variant more. :( I guess the Tiger Tanks can compensate for a stronger punch. :wink:

I realy liked that Mr. Andersson went back to the revised Wolf Packs in combination with U-boat Programme, since it gives Germany a strong incentive to build submarines. And I love the new super submarine as well. I love many more things about this article and again, THANK YOU Mr Andersson for a great work. :D

I don’t disagree with the amazing advantages you made Mr. Andersson… It was extremely creative… I think you should sell it in book form and make some money!!!

GG

• Well Dreadnaught, thank you!

But I need to say you should also thank all the others in this forum who have helped along the way! Some deserv too be mentioned and I especialy want to thank the following for dicussions and support concerning this article:

Guerrilla Guy
    Horatius
    Kaladesh
    sacker of cities

Thank you! :D

• Alright here i go

Techs:

JetFighter:I don’t understand much this one:So basicly Fighter are AA guns(on a tactical bombing run),but without opening fire.
    Example:English Bomber goes by WesternEurope to go Tactical bomb Germany.Theres a jetfighter in WesternEurope.So basicly it intercepts the bomber,fighter needs a 3 and it kills the bomber,while the bomber needs a 1.Lets say no one killed no one,combat is over,Bomber keeps going to germany and Tact bomb? SBR = Supported Bombing run Or Strategial Bombing run?I need a little clarification here

Rockets:Thats cool.

SuperSubs:Thats cool 2.

Long-Range Aircraft:Anyone ever got this?I don’t see the point of getting it…You might wanna make one over(what about AC being able to have and/or carry AA guns o=)

Super Destroyers:i suggest you keep the usual Tech,Shore Bombardment(i think),its strong enough,no need for 3 move

HeavyBombers:Thats all cool.

National Advantages

Soviet Union

Russian Winter:cool

Nonaggresion Treaty:real fine

GuardTankRegiments:thats cool 2

Conscripts:smart (-=

Katyshua Rockets:Thats just me,but i don’t really like complicated stuff,so i would just put it ur artillery attacks on a 3 for the first round

TransiberianRailway:Thats fine.

Germany

U-Boat Program:Hella smart,forcing Germany really to stay historical by going subs o=

Atlantic Wall:Fine

PanzerGrenadiers:Thats hella smart,since panzerblitz wasent so useful

Wolfpacks:as i said,force germany to stay historical,real good

TigerTank:Kinda complicated…,i like to keep it simple (-=.
    since they were so strong(everyone heard those stories of 1tiger vs 52424243 tanks bla blabla),what about 2hit tanks?Since 2hit tanks would unbalance the thing, i guess you could put a downfall to it(tanks now cost -7-8,a little bit like your heavy tank tech u had before)

Fortress Europe:thats cool.

UK

Radar:fine

Joint Strike:fine

Enigma Decoded:fine

British Commonwealth Troops:real smart,muc better then mideast oil

French Resistance:fine

ColonialGarrison:fine

Japan

Tokyo Express:fine

Kamikaze:Again,keep it simple.It attacks on a 3,in opening fire sequence,hit or not,it is remove when the opening fire sequence is over(the sequence after that would be the attackers rolls).However,keep the cant hit subs rules.

Floatplane Fighters:nice.

Dreadnoughts:Even tho this ability is nice, i think you should stick with the 5/5 ability.

Dug-in Defenders:fine

Banzai attacks;fine

US

Lend-Lease program:fine

Chinese Divisions:fine

Marines:fine

Mechanized Infantry:fine

Liberty Ship program:smart o-=

Superforteress:I understand the first part,its the 2nd i dont understand:
    An enemy antiaircraft gun can roll one die against only each attacking fighter.
    AA guns usully do that…Aa gun gets 1 roll for each fighter…How does Superfortress affect fighters anyway?

I played a game with your old ones,and at roun 4-5 we kinda lost track of it.These sound even better then the others,i need to give it a shot.
    When ur done,i wouldnt mind at all making a BattleBoards for these NA’s+tech,so it dosent get 2 confusing and players can remember everything.

• Hi Adaptation!
    Obviously I am not Mr. Andersson but I can answer some of your questions.

Jet Fighters: I played like this; jets can intercept bombers in a SBR (SBR = Strategial Bombing Raid) for one cycle of combat before the bombers reach their target. The intercepting fighters have to be located somewhere in the bombers combat movement route/way. Jet fighters attack any bombers on a die roll of 3 or less and the bomber may defend in defenders roll turn on a 1 (2 for Superfortresses). This interception combat last for one cycle of combat only. No jet fighters can intercept any bombers on their run home in noncombat movement turn. Not too hard to catch I think! But it does really works out nice to handle " the heavy superfortress overkill" theory Mr. Andersson wrote about in another thread. He always try to use development vs development and that is way he use the 3 move for Super Destroyers is to counter Super Submarines and give an incentive to the Axis go for this development. Especialy the Tokyo Express advantage for Japan makes it to a realy disirable development, Mr. Andersson wrote in another forum! He also wrote that the development is more like an advantage than a development as is and that’s another reason to upgrade this development. I agree!

When it comes to: “An enemy antiaircraft gun can roll one die against only each attacking fighter.” It only means that US bombers are imune to AA fire independent of it is a SBR or a regular combat!!! Not complicated at all! :wink:

• Thanks dread,now i got another question then:Lets say im bombing germany,and theres a jetfighter in germany,what happens?

As for the AA guns,thats pretty much what i tought

• @adaptation:

Thanks dread,now i got another question then:Lets say im bombing germany,and theres a jetfighter in germany,what happens?

As for the AA guns,thats pretty much what i tought

Hi adaption,
    I say (as I play it), if it is a SBR you are talking about on the IC in Germany, then the German player may use his fighter to intercept your bomber for one cycle of combat before your bombers reach “target zone”. If the German player use a fighter to intercept your bomber it can not also be used in a regular combat in Germany as well!

Lets say the German player choose to use his fighter to intercept your bomber, then he hit your bomber on a 3 and your bomber defends like in a normal combat on a 1 (2 if superfortresses). If your bomber survives, it will be subjected to AA fire if there is an AA gun in Germany, unless you have the superfortresses advantage! This is like you play in in A&A Europe. I have interpreted it like this, but I am not sure how Mr. Andersson would like to have it about the AA gun fire. But I know that the way I play it works all fine to me and my gamies! :wink:

• Thanks a lot for your explaination to adaption, you are all right Dreadnaught! I guess it was anyone of you (adaption or Dreadnaught) who voted that the article is just useful and not great or better than the original ones? It is alright with that, but I would like to know what you think is better in the original ones than mine (couse otherwise you would have voted “Great”)? But if you think my variants are better over all (that means you vote “Great”), It was some one else who voted that mine are worse than the original ones!

And adaption, the reason to let any fighters onboard on a carrier to protect, might seem too complex. But It is necessary to do that if kamikazes are able to pick target! Otherwise it will not be balanced, since any carrier loaded with any fighters will invite a kamikaze attack, cause it is a bargain for the Japanese player to go for it! This still apply to your suggestion that any kamikazes should hit on a 3 or less! One must not forget that the kamikaze rule is to increase the Japanese fighters range whithout LRA technology. And since kamikazes are just an advantage it cannot be as good as a technology, so kamikazes need to be a hinderance upon Japan! That means that the odds for an attack should be harder for a kamikaze than a regular fighter attack, to compensate for the increased range capability of kamikazes! But it should be balanced!

So if one want to let kamikazes pick their target, I recomand my variant. For those who think this variant is too complicated, I suggest to use the original one! :wink:

And about “An enemy antiaircraft gun can roll one die against only each attacking fighter.” This is just to say things twice, that superfortresses are immune to AA fire and that is no matter if it is a SBR or a regular combat. So if there is a combat with superfortresses and fihters and there is a AA gun in the area, then the AA gun can roll one die against only each fighter!

• Mr. Andersson, I just wanted to let you know that I am glad that you made the choice that you did for the Tiger Tank NA. It seems to be the most balanced of them all, and it creates some interesting strategic challenges.

I highly approve of this combined list. I read it all, and it is definitely better than the previous set of articles. I do advise that you hold off on the book form until these are rigorously play-tested, though. :lol:

I don’t know why, but the Jet Fighters intercept abilities seem a little off. I can’t explain exactly why, but it just seems a little too powerful (then again, that may be my relative lack of experience talking). However, this is definitely progress at it’s finest. Keep up the fantastic work.

• I will give it a shot,ima play a game soon,i will tell ya how it went :D

Oh btw,i voted useful,but it was an accident,when i pressed the vote button then i saw it was on useful i was like Ah shit and it was 2 late.
    Pardon me :)

• How about this variant for kamikazes???

Kamikazes Attacks
    The Japanese developed a small rocket powered aircraft full of explosives guided by a suicide pilot. This aircraft was carried to the target area by a bomber. After being released, it would engage its rocket motors to make a high-speed dash to the target ship.
    Your bombers may target enemy capital ships. Each bomber attacks during the opening fire step of combat, and the defender must chose aircraft carriers or battleships as casualties. If no capital ship is present then your bombers loses its opening fire and the enemy may chose any other unit as a casualty (casualties can fire back).

• one thing i would change is for jet fighters … not in this articel, but in understanding the pocedure:

jetfighters do not attack before the aaguns do just because you have the order of battle beginning with the opening fire step (that is the aa gun) if the bomber is still on it’s SBR (or if it is a superfortress) than the jetfighter might fight one combat cycle against those bombers. however the defending player has to choose the number of defending jetfighters prior beginning the battle with the opening fire step, so there may be a situation where your aa guns hit and your jetfighter remain on a CAP without engaging enemies.
    this way everything goes fine with the original rules concerning battle order and the like.

btw… good job mr.andersson ;-)

• @Kaladesh:

one thing i would change is for jet fighters … not in this articel, but in understanding the pocedure:

jetfighters do not attack before the aaguns do just because you have the order of battle beginning with the opening fire step (that is the aa gun) if the bomber is still on it’s SBR (or if it is a superfortress) than the jetfighter might fight one combat cycle against those bombers. however the defending player has to choose the number of defending jetfighters prior beginning the battle with the opening fire step, so there may be a situation where your aa guns hit and your jetfighter remain on a CAP without engaging enemies.
    this way everything goes fine with the original rules concerning battle order and the like.

btw… good job mr.andersson ;-)

Splending Kaladesh, that is alright and I will clarify it in an updated version together with Kamikazes and Dreadnoughts! I have included the 3 hit BB variant in the poll for Dreadnoughts so you can now vote for that, please vote in my polls and continue with your replies of inspirations!

• @Kaladesh:

one thing i would change is for jet fighters … not in this articel, but in understanding the pocedure…

How about this, will that do? :D

1. Jet Fighters
    Your fighters are now jet fighters. Their defense increases to 5, and they may intercept bombers (including superfortresses) in a SBR.

Bomber Interception: This battle last for one cycle of combat only. The defender declares intercepting fighters before any defending AA guns fire. Intercepting fighters attack on a 3 were as the bomber defend on a 1, after any AA fire. Any fighters used in a interceptor role may not also defend in a regular land attack against that same territory on the same turn.

• I have made a lot of research about the B-29 superfortresses, and I found the optional rule that american bombers cannot be hit by AA fire very unrealistic!

B-29 Superfortress

The B-29 was the first pressurised bomber to enter service, and was therefore able to operate over vaste distances and at safe heights to deliver huge bombloads onto the enemy.

Originally designed to bomb Germany from America during World War II, the B-29 entered service only at the end of the European war. This massive, revolutionary bomber was transferred to the fight against Japan, where it devastated cities in huge firebomb raids. Enola Gay was the superfortress, which dropped the first atomic bomb on Japan, hitting the port city of Hiroshima on 6 August 1945.

The B-29 was a revelation when it first flew. Easily the biggest bomber of World War II, it flew faster than any of its predecessors, and at an altitude it could outpace most of the Japanese fighters that were its principal foes. The B-29’s had a standard load of over 9000 kg of bombs, compared to its counterparts that rarely flew combat missions with more than 3000 kg. The only exception would be Avro Lancaster, the RAF’s main bomber that had a normal combat load of about 6300 kg.

How to revise the Superfortresses advantage?

This background states that a Superfortresses advantage could imply the following:

• Extra damage caused in a SBR.
    • Longer range.
    • Harder to hit.
      I think it is more like a development than an advantage, but if one should stick to the advantage my suggestion would be:

6. Superfortresses (revised)
    The B-29 Superfortress carried the biggest standard bomb load of any wartime bomber.
    Your bombers each roll one additional die when conducting a strategic bombing raid.

This means that if the U.S. player want to have the true B-29 Superfortress, the U.S. player would have to develop Heavy Bombers and Long Range Aircraft. Then U.S. would get bombers that would be anything but lousy, especially in a SBR! To counter that I suggest my revised Superfortresses should be used in conjunction with the revised Jet Fighter development! Verry much more balanced and realistic as well!

Jet Fighters

About the special move as an interceptor – Jet fighters performed well in high altitudes much better than piston-engine-driven propellers (other high-altitude fighters). It is no surprise that the Me 262 (Germanys best jet fighter) was primarily designed as a bomber-destroyer! Me 262 was easily the fastest fighter in the world: with guns and unguided R4M rockets, this fighter of the future had the potential to knock down Flying Fortresses almost impunity. Too late and not always used in the best way, the ME 262 frightened the Allies but could not alter the outcome of the war!

1. Jet Fighters
    Your fighters are now jet fighters. Their defense increases to 5, and they may intercept bombers (including superfortresses) in a SBR.

Bomber Interception. : This battle last for one cycle of combat only. The defender declares intercepting fighters before any defending AA guns fire. Intercepting fighters attack on a 3 were as the bomber defend on a 1, after any AA fire. Any fighters used in a interceptor role may not also defend in a regular land attack against that same territory on the same turn.

• They sound good. I’ve always just played by the book, but I will have to see if I can get a group willing to try these revised rules.

2 things:

1: Are you sure the Superfortresses aren’t too strong? Then again, it is historically accurate.

2: what happens as you lose tanks with the Ger. heavy tanks?
    I know you tested all these new rules, and I’m sure you made a decision. I assume that the first is a heavy tank, and then every 4th after that.

• @prof_tc:

1: Are you sure the Superfortresses aren’t too strong? Then again, it is historically accurate.

2: what happens as you lose tanks with the Ger. heavy tanks?
    I know you tested all these new rules, and I’m sure you made a decision. I assume that the first is a heavy tank, and then every 4th after that.

1. The superfortresses advantage is now counterable for the Axis, but cost a lot to develop Jet Fighters! However to old rule of mine that I have in these revised NAs may be a better choice since now the U.S. needs to develop heavy bombers as well. This variant with one additional die per bomber in a SBR is not really playtested! But compared to the original one, I am sure it wont be worse to the Axis as long as they can counter it with jets! :wink:

Damage caused by heavy superfortresses (Heavy Bombers development and Superfortresses advantage) against an IC protected by jets (Jet Fighter development):
    5/63(1/61+1/62+1/63+1/64+1/65+1/66) + 5/61/610 IPCs = 10,1 IPCs

Damage caused by AA fire and intercepting jets (on a 1:1 ratio for fighters and bombers) on bombers in a SBR:
    1/615 + 3/615 = 10 IPCs

This means that the German and Japanese player needs to develop Jet Fighters to an average cost of 30 IPCs and have as many fighters protecting each IC as there are U.S. heavy superfortresses within reach for a potential SBR! The allies would just have a slight advantage to the axis if conducting a SBR with heavy superfortresses, it is even less then for a regular bomber that conducts a SBR on an IC only protected by an AA gun!

2. this is from another thread about “Heavy Tanks”:

First cycle of combat:
    Put the first 2 tanks on 3 and every third tank on 4. Repeat this until all tanks are on your battleboard. At the end of the combat remove casualties.

Second cycle of combat:
    Remove all remaining tanks from battleboard and redeploy them by putting the first 2 on 3 and every third tank on 4. Repeat that until all your remaining tanks are on the battelboard… and so on!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m