1941 Playing the AXIS and I need help

• I just started playing A & A, and I’m up against this maniac expert.  I started out as the AXIS but he’s beating me like a drum.  He takes Western Russia on his first move and then I move him out when I’m Germany, but all too quickly he’s moving in the USA from both fronts and kicking me in the behind.  Any advice on how to give him a decent game.  How should the AXIS open?

• '17 '16 '15

Check out what Black Elk says here

I have a problem with the balance and what happens when the Allies have bad roll

I’m pretty sure v5 is the game you’re playing.

• The Axis face a long game economic disadvantage. Something to keep in mind is you have to take territories to close that gap so you aren’t just out produced. Now that’s easier said than done. Something that will buy you time and can be the difference in a game is using your German navy to take out as much of the British fleet as you can. I like to buy a sub or even two G1 to help delay the Atlantic. While taking Egypt is a side objective that should be realized, don’t pour all your resources into it. If one big attack doesn’t capture it then don’t waste your time. Taking out the USSR is always my main goal. Germany should be able to push in with its troops if you attack in the right places, not to mention the pressure Japan can apply through China. So long story short I would recommend you coordinating a dual attack on the USSR while using your German navy to delay Allied landings. I would like to note that going full Japan into China or the Soviet North will lead to its fall sooner, but you leave yourself open in the Pacific. Establishing a front or taking India should be a goal while taking the Philippines and Dutch islands provides you with money to help combat the US Navy.

• It’s funny isn’t it.  The first four games I played the AXIS won every one given the vulnerability of the UK navy to combined German sea and air power, the preponderance of German land forces and IPCs against Russia and the difficulty getting the USA involved either across the Atlantic w/out a UK navy to help, or in the Pacific given Japan’s naval supremacy.

That’s such a different experience to that described by “new guy in Saudi” that I cannot help thinking there are strategies I am missing - hence a post I put up yesterday.

• The Axis invariably win this game, Private Panic.

Have you added the start up  units as prescribed by Larry Harris and his representative on this forum, Krieghund? I think it was a US DD off Washington and 2 Russian Inf in Moscow. Perhaps someone will correct me, if I have remembered wrongly. Otherwise give the Allies more.

• Hi wittman

Have added 3 R infantry in Russia, 1 US destroyer off Washington and US infantry in China as per published errata.  This does help.

Your post suggests that my thought that I am missing something is wide of the mark?  However, do you have anything to suggest against my other topic that might even things up a bit?

I’ll keep a tab on win rates now that I understand the ALLIES options better than I first did and consider whether to add more.

However, I also enjoy the challenge presented to the ALLIES and perhaps the game accurately reflects the need for a co-ordinated Germany first strategy, plus the failure of the AXIS to co-ordinate, as happened.

I can’t have it both ways though!

Cheers
    PP

• Thank you for correcting me, Private Panic.
    Unfortunately, I can’t help you  with this game, as I only really bought it for the sculpts. I have played it twice, but it does not have the depth I have got used to with the latest A&A games. I l had thought I might start some new people with this game, but it hasn’t happened yet.

• Okay.  Thanks for all your other help though.

Cheers
    PP

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m