• I have recently started playing Axis and Allies with a group of guys after years of not having played.  We get a game going every month or so.
    One thing we have been at odds about is attacking infantry.  I said if an infantry moves in to attack they can’t retreat because they only have a movement of 1 space.  They must stay to fight until they’re eliminated, or the territory they are attacking is captured. One of the guys in the group said they can retreat back to the space they came from.  Can someone please shed some light on this for me?  We have a game this Saturday and I would like to get clarity on this, before our game Saturday.  Thank you.

• Hi and welcome JayMar33.
    Your friend is right. Any surviving (non amphibious) attacking units can retreat at the end of any given round of combat, if at least one defending unit also survived.  (You can’t retreat if all defenders are eliminated.)
    Enjoy your game and ask any more questions that arise, even in game.

• Thank you so much for the reply.  He will be happy to know that he is right.  So does that mean you can move a sub or battleship their maximum 2 spaces and attack, then retreat to either an allied or non occupied zone?  Or is that for land units only?

• It is the same for Naval units. The attacker can retreat all his units to any SZ from which one of the attacking units came, as long as at least one defender survived the round.

• If I did not make it clear: all units must retreat to the same SZ or Territory (never more than one).

• Thank you so much for the quick reply….again.  This has been a great help.  It makes sense for sure.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Of course… if you want your way.

You could just choose to never retreat your own infantry. :P

• I dont think Larry will make new molds for the existing infantry.

Maybe you could make a poll over Italian, French and neutral units ?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m