• Russia turn one takes down the German cruiser and transport in the Baltic.
    Russia then puts out a destroyer in the Baltic.
    It is my understanding that the German subs must stand and fight the destroyer on Germany turn one.
    Is my understanding of the rules correct?

• '17 '16 '15 '14

I think the subs can retreat instead of being forced to fight.  This move puts the Russian fighters, which are very expensive, at risk.  From my own experience against the TripleA hard AI, taking chances results in total loss.  Russia simply cannot afford to lose a fighter.  The German pieces are not worth the risk, in my opinion.  Much like what I consider the Britain navy, it is a distraction which if you try to reinforce it, will result in a quick loss.

I’m not sure, I know that according to the rules, that a sub may not pass thru a sea zone which has an enemy destroyer.  I don’t know what happens when the sub starts it’s move in a sea zone with an enemy destroyer.  I’m thinking that if you spend that money, Russia is toast pretty fast.

What do I know?  I can’t even beat the hard AI.  Of course, missing on 4 50% chances eight of ten tries tends to frustrate me.  I had the computer in trouble once and then I had a brain fart, or too much beer, and blew it…

CK

Plus, Russia needs everything it can muster to prevent Germany from simply overrunning it.  i have had zero luck trading territories as Germany has more airforce which leaves less units to be attacked.  My own opinion is that the Allies have a hard time winning if Germany simply buys infantry and artillery.  Infantry is the best; best on defense and absorbs hit when the tanks, fighters and bomber come in to play.

• @Hans:

Russia turn one takes down the German cruiser and transport in the Baltic.
    Russia then puts out a destroyer in the Baltic.
    It is my understanding that the German subs must stand and fight the destroyer on Germany turn one.
    Is my understanding of the rules correct?

Welcome, Hans.
    No, I’m afraid your understanding is not correct.

In your scenario the German subs start facing the enemy destroyer at the beginning of Germany’s Combat Move phase.
    So the “Sea Units Starting in Hostile Sea Zones”-rules apply:

@rulebook:

Sea Units Starting in Hostile Sea Zones
    At the beginning of the Combat Move phase, you may already have sea units (and/or fighters on carriers) in spaces containing
    enemy units that were there at the start of your turn. For example, an enemy may have built new surface warships in a sea zone
    where you have sea units. When your turn comes around again, you are sharing that sea zone with enemy forces.
    If you are sharing a sea zone with enemy surface warships (not submarines and/or transports), this situation requires you to do
    one of the following:

• Remain in the sea zone and conduct combat,
    • Leave the sea zone, load units if desired, and conduct combat elsewhere,
    • Leave the sea zone, load units, and return to the same sea zone to conduct combat (you cannot load units while
      in a hostile sea zone), or
    • Leave the sea zone and conduct no combat.
      Once these sea units have moved and/or participated in combat, they cannot move or participate in the Noncombat Move
      phase of the turn.

So it is up to Germany to either stand and fight or leave the seazone to avoid fighting.

What you may have in your mind is a submarine entering a seazone containing an enemy destroyer in the Combat Move phase.
    In this case it must stop and combat will result.

HTH :-)

• Thank you craykirk and P@nther.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m