Global 1942 Scenario by Larry Harris

• Sponsor

Larry Harris has created a 1942 setup scenario which can be played using the 1940 Europe and Pacific 2nd Edition boards and game pieces. This scenario is not intended to replace the existing 1940 Global setup, it is simply an alternative way to play especially for tournaments. When creating threads for discussion of this scenario, please include the acronym “G42” in your topic title for easy identification, or feel free to post here in this thread.

For Axis & Allies Global 1942 setup and rules, click the following link:

http://smo63.fatcow.com/pdf/G42setup2013424.pdf

• Customizer

YAY!

• Can’t wait to try this one out!
    Anybody already did?

• I think many of us have.
    I like it for many reasons, but mainly because it seems more historical.
    Is also nice to have another set up.

• '13

Just might have to give this a spin when we break out the big board on Saturday!

• Sponsor

@Bar91:

Just might have to give this a spin when we break out the big board on Saturday!

Be sure to give us a post game report if you do.

• @Bar91:

You will love it, Bar.

• Great to see Global 42 finally got its own sticky, but I was hoping for it’s own board.  If anyone hasn’t tried this please do, you won’t regret it.  The best part is All players are in the action right away, the poor USA player no longer needs to wait 4 long rounds……

• Sponsor

@Geoscal:

Great to see Global 42 finally got its own sticky, but I was hoping for it’s own board.  If anyone hasn’t tried this please do, you won’t regret it.  The best part is All players are in the action right away, the poor USA player no longer needs to wait 4 long rounds……

My gatherings have grown in membership lately and I have decided to host 2 games per event, 1 table for Global 1940, and 1 table for Global 1942… Can’t wait to see the response of the players (next group game is Nov. 22nd).

• '13

@Young:

@Bar91:

Be sure to give us a post game report if you do.

We played the 1942 setup on Saturday and it was a lot of fun!  There were three of us so we split the teams Axis (played by one person) v. UK, Anz & China (me) and U.S. & Russia (played by another friend).  The guy playing the US and Russia remarked right off the bat about how much more fun it is to play right away instead of having to wait until potentially the 4th round.

The Axis put on a really hard in press in Europe and made good headway into Russia.  Italy was able to take Gibralter (U.S. player landed in Morocco instead of Gib - his first time playing this scenario so he was a bit out of his depth) and was able to successfully lock up the med.  Although the US did retake it in what proved to be the last round of the evening.  I would say that things were looking grim on the Euro side, but it wasn’t hopeless yet.

Japan was just a monster all game.  They start out so far ahead in the Pacific that its hard to keep them in check. I ended up using most of UK-Europe’s income to shuck fast moving ground units and planes from the factory I put in Persia to India to stave off the Japanese invasion.  I have to say that playing the non U.S. allies on the Pacific side of the board is kind of dull.  Really all you can do with India, China and Anzac is to bunker down try and hold what little you have left.  The income is so limited (10 or less ipc for each faction) it means there is l almost nothing you can do.  It really all comes down to the U.S. and how quickly and effectively they can come to the aid of their allies.

Unfortunaely the night ended prematurely (if you can call stopping at midnight premature) when my cat snuck up on us and jumped right onto the East Coast quarter of the board and flipped it off the table.  I think it was very likely that the Axis would have won in the end, but the allies still had a chance!  Alas, we will never know…

• Thanks for the report, Bar.
    Where is the cat now? Have you let it back in the house yet?

• This scenario is fun, and a lot less stressful for the allies. Haven’t played enough turns to decide just yet, but I think this might be allies favored.

• '18 '17 '16

ImperialDefence and I have played a number of times. It is a different game from G40. It has its positives and negatives. I would certainly recommend the game for face to face matches with a limited amount of time. I feel that there are fewer options for many of the countries compared to G40. But it certainly gets you into the fight right away.

• This could be the worst setup of all time from a historical perspective.  At least since the MB 1985 where Japan was setup to attack Hawaii in 1942 somehow.

When is it supposed to be?  Japan took Burma in January 1942.  If it is supposed to be January, then they should have yet to invade Java and take Malaya.  Worst of all, the US Marines didn’t invade the Solomon Islands until AUGUST.  If it’s supposed to be August, Japan should have the Aleutians.  The Solomons should have an airbase.

On the other side of the board, the US is setup to do Torch, which happened in November.  US forces should be in England, let alone Australia. The USSR is setup to attach Karkov, which happened in May.  El Alamein is about to happen, so it appears to be July.

• We played our first game of this scenario last week. We’re all new to Global (and we only played 1942 a couple of times a year), so I didn’t expect to complete a game. We called it a draw with a lean towards the Axis. Japan was out of control, but Germany seemed to be in a bit of trouble.

The biggest issue we had was with the rules. We’ve enjoyed 42 for several years and had the rules down pretty good. But Global is insane. We are all very thankful to Larry for the Global 42 scenario.

Sorry the attached picture is upside down.

AxisAndAllies.jpg

• We tried this scenario and it is simply awful! First of all the Russians who go first can push Germany almost completely out of Russia altogether on the first turn! :-o Then the Japs who have a big navy are in a heap of trouble due to 3 large groups of U.S. naval vessels in the Pacific that dont really represent the actual naval strengths in early 1942. The U.S. task force in the Solomons is months ahead of schedule and a U.S. battleship in the Pearl Harbor spot in early '42? The game is totally a defensive contest for the Axis. They start out making 54 and 48 respectively and they need every bit of it to stay afloat! I dont know how much play-testing this scenario has had but this one seems to be an afterthought!

• Customizer

@GN. The scenario is designed for tournament play to allow for it to be played at conventions and the like in a shorter period of time than OOB G40.

If you’re looking for something more like G40 there are a few scenarios designed by forum members you should search for. Midnight Express and Oztea are two site members who have made some scenarios for Global set in 42 and 43.

Good Luck.

• '14

I don’t understand the anger that some have towards this set up. Ok yes you can argue the historical accuracy, but c’mon, at the end of the day you are playing A&A. Lets face it, we all know the standard moves, and how to counter them, so it all comes down to luck in the dice. All you do is wait around and wait for someone to make a mistake then pounce. New set ups bring in new strategies, which is the best part. Its a brand new game using parts you already have. No need to spend, sometimes $100’s of, dollars to get a new experience. Just have fun

• Sponsor

@wartorn:

I don’t understand the anger that some have towards this set up. Ok yes you can argue the historical accuracy, but c’mon, at the end of the day you are playing A&A. Lets face it, we all know the standard moves, and how to counter them, so it all comes down to luck in the dice. All you do is wait around and wait for someone to make a mistake then pounce. New set ups bring in new strategies, which is the best part. Its a brand new game using parts you already have. No need to spend, sometimes $100’s of, dollars to get a new experience. Just have fun

Although I agree that this is a new experience playing A&A without spending for a new game, I don’t agree with everyone knowing the standard moves in Global during many 5 player group games. Opening strategies maybe, but after round 2 the board always looks different from game to game due to different philosophies players will incorprate no matter how experienced they are.

• I agree. Games in our group always end up wildly different.
    The 1942 scenario is fun to play on occasion simply because it is so different. My biggest gripe with it is that it fails to make games go any faster. 1942 games seem to take just as long as 1940 games.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m