• HI. Recently, one of my friend playing as Russia Dow to Japan on round 1 and flied one fighter and one T bomb to Yunnan from Russia. And he placed one of his bid as a infantry on Yunnan. As a Japan player, should i attack Yunnan on J1.? :?

• Russia kind of played Japan’s hand, didn’t she?

5 Inf, 1 Ftr 1 Tac defending against 3 Inf, 1 Art, 1 Ftr 1 Tac and 2 Bombers?

Still 83% in Japan’s favor.  Just may not have much left for ground units afterwards.

Seems a bit of a waste by Russia to lose 2 aircraft?

• I’d say attack too.
    Japan can afford to loose a couple of planes here, Russia much less so.

• '14 Customizer

I agree Spendo02 and  ItIsILeClerc.  Japan won’t miss the aircraft but Russia will.

• Customizer

It seems to me like Russia using it’s planes to defend Yunnan would be like a gift to the Axis. It would cost Japan some to take them out, but as said Japan can afford it. As Germany I would love to see this. Those Russian planes can be annoying at times, especially when Russia launches attacks with large stacks of infantry using the planes for punch power.

• '15

What about this plan:

Turn 2 Russia declares war on Japan, rolls 3 planes and its two tanks and two mechs into Sikang.  China takes back Yunan with all its force and then India moves all it’s units into Yunan as well, declaring war on Japan (assuming the Japanese didn’t already do so).  Then Russia moves its units into Yunan on turn 3 and suddenly there is quite a force in Yunan for Japan to try and take out.

I’m yet to see this fully play out but I think it’s a pretty interesting move.  Thoughts?

• A&A is a zero sum game. In this case Russia’s going to make things harder on Japan, but at what cost against Germany? We’re talking about sending 7 units into China when Russia typically is hard pressed for units. And not only that but the 7 units in question have a disproportionate impact than numbers alone indicate. Without those fighters, Russia can’t really trade terr effectively and whatever semblance of an offensive threat Russia might’ve been able to muster just went out the door with it’s five heavy hitters gone. They’re all valuable defensive units and the tanks/air are the iron defenses that prop up the hordes of infantry Russia boasts.

Playing as the axis, I would be happy to see all that Russian equipment rushing in the wrong direction and would gladly exchange a stronger Japan for taking Russia early. Another thing you need to consider is where are Japan’s transports and how many do they have? Indian infantry might bulk up Yunnan, but should be avoided if Japan’s got 3+ transports within 2 turns of India. Don’t move those infantry up if they can’t get back in time to help defend India from an amphibious assault. Keep an eye out for what Japan could hit India with in two turns and whether you need those infantry back home.

Yes, it really hurts Japan and maybe you’re gambling on being able to neutralize Japan and then shifting US help to Europe in time to squash Germany’s chance at Egypt. Or maybe you know your opponent’s tendencies and know you can get away without those fast movers and air for a couple turns. Either way, I think you need to be careful before committing that much valuable equipment that far from Moscow.

• It may help with an all out KJF plan if Russia decides to ignore the German advance and become a thorn in Japan’s side.

It may allow for more US resources to be directed at Europe, but they may be too little too late if Moscow were to fall easily and/or earlier than it should to the Germans.

I’ve played it out a few times, with significant Russian intervention in China, but Russia gets zero economic benefit and places a lot of resources in China that have little impact mid-late game for a crippled or defeated Moscow.

As the highest quality play by Japan is minor IC on the mainland, Japan can send 3 Mech with aircraft flown over them to clear out small infringements of the Russians in China.

IF I were to create problems for Japan, on R1 I would:
    Buy 1 Arm, 2 Mech, place them in Stalingrad.
    Move 1 Arm, 1 Mech from Moscow to Stalingrad.
    Keep the 1 Arm, 1 Mech that start in Stalingrad there.
    Fly your 2 Ftr and 1 Tac to Stalingrad.
    R2 move into China (Sikang)
    UK2 DOW on Japan (if not already at war) move all ground units into Yunnan, which hopefully is a reinforcement, but it may be a liberation depending on how China does there.
    R3, move those units from Sikang into Yunnan, reinforcing the Brits and probably halting a Japanese takeover of the Burma road there.

I’m not suggesting this strategy. But it WOULD create problems for a Japan player that does not build IC on the mainland.  Additionally, if UK has to DOW on Japan, this places the US out of the war for a while, which further hurts Moscow in the long run.

Of course, those fast moving units in Stalingrad can:
    Be redirected to NW Persia on R2 if at war, and they are more than enough to claim Iraq and get some additional income for Moscow - so there IS flexibility.  
    If Moscow is still waiting for war, those units can all move directly to Bryansk on R2 and be in position for a R3 Strafe anywhere in Russia that Germany ends up on G3.

Personally I’d suggest one of the two options directly above before intervening in China.  There is little economic benefit unless you are in a KJF Allied strategy where bogging the Japanese down in China creates immense economic problems.  In particular I wouldn’t want Russia playing a defensive strategy in China throwing its units to the wind.  I’d rather be able to blitz across Northern China, far away from any Japanese IC and/or reinforcements.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m