• One year since this baby was released. Thanks to Larry Harris for creating it!

I love it even if its unbalanced, insufficient and a little bit unhistorical.

It was our favourite game to play in the last year and I hope that Larry, Krieg and all the other
    playtesters take some good points and suggestions out of this forum to create an even better second edition for
    late 2014.

Would be so great!!

1914ss.png

• Nice pick up. Thanks.
    I like the game too and am  glad we have it.

• Yes gentleman it is a good game.  I plan to have the game enlarged and do away with all the poker chips and get more miniatures for it.  My goal is to run it at my war game conventions.
    The one change I would like to see is for all the Allied nations to be able to attack together at the
    Same time… it makes no sense to me that they could defend together why can’t they attack together.  There were many offensives were allied nations attacked together at the same time… :)

• Customizer

That would probably unbalance the game in favour of the attack. This game should be weighted towards the defence, at least until large tank stacks appear.

• We already play tested and it seems to work fine….
    Don’t get me wrong it needs more playtesting…

• Customizer

One other thought I’ve had on speeding up the game is to limit the number of attacks allowed per turn;

Each CP gets 2 attacks, each of the Allies 1. To balance the UK can make 2 attacks but one must be in the Middle Eastern/African theatres. Maybe Russia gets 2 before America joins the war.

CPs are not restricted geographically; e.g. Germany R1 can invade Belgium and Alsace, foregoing an attack on the Eastern Front.

This could perhaps accomodate joint attacks, but each nation participating uses up one of their allowance.

• @Flashman:

One other thought I’ve had on speeding up the game is to limit the number of attacks allowed per turn;

Each CP gets 2 attacks, each of the Allies 1. To balance the UK can make 2 attacks but one must be in the Middle Eastern/African theatres. Maybe Russia gets 2 before America joins the war.

CPs are not restricted geographically; e.g. Germany R1 can invade Belgium and Alsace, foregoing an attack on the Eastern Front.

This could perhaps accomodate joint attacks, but each nation participating uses up one of their allowance.

All powers should be allowed to make additional rounds of attack, at the price of having enemy units defend at + 1 for each additional round.

This would solve the whole ‘1 infantry stopping the entire enemy army’ issue.

• '14

@GENERAL:

We already play tested and it seems to work fine….

Even with the lack of this or that, the basic combat mechanic, I think, works pretty well for simulating the era. And maybe the fact that it didn’t go far enough in some areas, lends it to some interesting house-ruling. I was never sold on the Russian Revolution optional rule, however (esp., its territory-as-trigger element). It really ought to be triggered by the pile of hit plastic infantry…

• Customizer

@protevangelium:

@GENERAL:

We already play tested and it seems to work fine….

Even with the lack of this or that, the basic combat mechanic, I think, works pretty well for simulating the era. And maybe the fact that it didn’t go far enough in some areas, lends it to some interesting house-ruling. I was never sold on the Russian Revolution optional rule, however (esp., its territory-as-trigger element). It really ought to be triggered by the pile of hit plastic infantry…

I agree. Despite small quibbles with the map and the disappointment with the price of the game vs. the quality of the components, the basic combat mechanic is fun and representative of the actual war.

• '14

The game system really handles house rules very well. And I might be in the minority, but the lack of R&D in the game is one thing I find a plus. It keeps things under control.

• @1Bean432:

@Flashman:

All powers should be allowed to make additional rounds of attack, at the price of having enemy units defend at + 1 for each additional round.

This would solve the whole ‘1 infantry stopping the entire enemy army’ issue.

It wouldn’t solve that issue. without fighting a battle until the bitter end you’ll have a small force holding up a large force. you could make it 19 rounds off combat but at the end of the 19 rounds if the defender ended up with 1 infantry then we’ll still be at the 1 infantry holding up the entire enemy army.

• '14

Obviously that one infantry piece must be Belgian!  :-D

• @protevangelium:

Obviously that one infantry piece must be Belgian!  :-D

Nice!

• This version is currently my favorite. While I still love the sweeping-maneuvers of  WWII 1942, the slow, deliberate nature of the game puts a special emphasis on long-term planning.
    Also, WWI 1914 seems quite balanced, with an historical slight edge for the Allies. Even with talks of a second edition, the First edition will still be played for a long time.

By the way, are there any big World War I 100th Anniversary get-togethers coming up? Any ideas for the Centennial?

• Founder TripleA Admin

bump, just to test something

• Customizer

Like is there still life out there?

Not now, there ain’t.

• I’m still cruising the forums…WWI never did get the attention it deserves.  If we get some good topics, I’ll chime in.

• I really enjoyed 1914…I really wish I had more time to play it.  To be fair…I wish I had more time for a lot of things :|

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m