Transport Load & Offload same turn?

• Hi,

I’m new to Axis & Allies and just picked up the 1941 edition, seems like a really nice game!

I’m a bit confused on the transport action. If I control southern europe and north africa, and have ground units in southern europe, can I move them to North africa during my move phase if I have a transport ship in sea zone 16, or do I have to load them and unload them during my next turn? (same for Japan and Manchuria).

What if I own Southern Europe and North Africa is occupied. Can I land my troops there during my attack move if I have a transporter at zone 16?

• '18 '17 '16

@r0yalty:

If I control southern europe and north africa, and have ground units in southern europe, can I move them to North africa during my move phase if I have a transport ship in sea zone 16, or do I have to load them and unload them during my next turn? (same for Japan and Manchuria).

Yes, as long as both territories are yours, you move the units via “bridging” in seazone 16 in the noncombat move phase. That is, you don’t have to move the transport, it remains in seazone 16 and you are allowed to transfer 2 units from south europe to North Africa. After offloading the units the “movement” of the transport ends. You may not move the transport to another seazone.

@r0yalty:

What if I own Southern Europe and North Africa is occupied. Can I land my troops there during my attack move if I have a transporter at zone 16?

Yes. This is an amphibious assault, conducted in the combat move phase. Again, only two units per transport (1 infantry + 1 other land unit) are allowed to transfer from South europe to north Africa.

Rulebook 1941, p.29: “A transport can load and offload units without moving from the friendly sea zone it is in. Moving land units across a sea zone in this way is called “bridging”.”

• Thanks!

However there is one thing that confuses me. Take the amphibious assault move for example. I load 2 inf units, then I offload them. Does this not count as 2 moves for the inf ?
    South Europe - > transporter @ Seazone 16 = 1 Move.
    Seazone 16 -> North Africa = 1 Move.

Inf can only move 1.

?

• '18 '17 '16

@r0yalty:

However there is one thing that confuses me. Take the amphibious assault move for example. I load 2 inf units, then I offload them. Does this not count as 2 moves for the inf ?
    South Europe - > transporter @ Seazone 16 = 1 Move.
    Seazone 16 -> North Africa = 1 Move.

Inf can only move 1.

?

“Loading onto and/or offloading from a transport counts as a land unit’s entire move.” (Rulebook)

It is the transport which is moving within/through the seazone, not the inf. The inf is only cargo. In the case of a transfer of land units by transports, the land units do not move themselve. The transport is performing the movement, and the transport is allowed to move up to 2 seazones. Loading and/or offloading is the land units movement. As prior condition, land units intended to be moved via transports are not allowed to be moved itself before or after the transport movement.

Example:
    1 inf moved from one territory to another territory, where a transport waits. The inf is not allowed to board

• Thanks a lot for clearing this !

• remember that you can only load one Infantry unit and one Tank, or one Tank, or i think, two Infantry

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m