• Twenty five of these planes saw production only to be used in a propaganda photograph.

This plane was fast at a max speed of 430 mph.

The range of this fighter was twice of the famous Me-109.

• I had forgotten about this Fighter, so thank you for reminding me Worsham.
    If te range really was double the 109, I cannot see how it can’t have helped in the early years.
    I am thinking more of the Battle of Britain, where the 109s could not fly very far, or dogfight  very long, over Southern England.
    Looks disturbingly like the 109, doesn’t it?
    I missed the armament. Had that been decided?

• Customizer

I don’t claim to be much of an aircraft buff, but as a mechanical engineer, the cooling system on the HE-100 both fascinates and scares me. It seems like if you hit this thing just about anywhere it would pop!  :-o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_100

As a side note, I was browsing this site:
    http://www.luft46.com/
    and some of the late-war German aircraft development projects are pretty crazy; not to mention eerily similar to some of the fighters seen in the Cold War and even after that! Definitely worth a browse.

• The added range would have made all the difference in the world. Had Germany flown He-100s not Bf-109s in the Battle of Britain remember the 109s only had enough range to fight over England for 5 mins.

• @Yavid:

The added range would have made all the difference in the world. Had Germany flown He-100s not Bf-109s in the Battle of Britain remember the 109s only had enough range to fight over England for 5 mins.

Excellent point.

To be honest, I hadn’t heard about this plane until Worsham posted his thread.

I encountered the following sentence:

The maximum speed of the F-1 and F-2 was 615 km/h (382 mph) at rated altitude.

That’s slightly slower than the HE-100. However, the above is in reference to the BF-109F; whereas the main plane Germany used in the Battle of Britain was the slower BF-109E. Had Germany upgraded from the BF-109E to the HE-100, not only would it have gotten a longer-ranged aircraft, it would also have gotten a faster plane. Maybe something as good as the Spitfire. I don’t know whether this would have helped enough to open the door for Sealion, but it would have made a difference.

• @KurtGodel7:

@Yavid:

The added range would have made all the difference in the world. Had Germany flown He-100s not Bf-109s in the Battle of Britain remember the 109s only had enough range to fight over England for 5 mins.

Excellent point.

To be honest, I hadn’t heard about this plane until Worsham posted his thread.

I encountered the following sentence:

The maximum speed of the F-1 and F-2 was 615 km/h (382 mph) at rated altitude.

That’s slightly slower than the HE-100. However, the above is in reference to the BF-109F; whereas the main plane Germany used in the Battle of Britain was the slower BF-109E. Had Germany upgraded from the BF-109E to the HE-100, not only would it have gotten a longer-ranged aircraft, it would also have gotten a faster plane. Maybe something as good as the Spitfire. I don’t know whether this would have helped enough to open the door for Sealion, but it would have made a difference.

The only problem with making the switch is the stoppage of production to make the change at the factory level. It’s why the Russians stuck with the T-34 and KV-1 as long as they did.

• Imagine had the He-100 fighter been in production during the prewar years, a good many very talented German fighter pilots would not have been restricted behind the controls of the Me-110 over Britain.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m