• 2024 '22 '19 '17 '15

Hi

I ran a game against a friend: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=31882.15

standard 1940 Global 2nd - no bids or modifications

Following some (in my opinion) poor choices by the allied player, G3 saw Sea Lion to success and now the Allied Player forfeit the game.

Is this justified? I mean is it really now all downward for Allies with no chance to succeed (bar very poor moves of axis powers)

What do you think? I would much prefer to see the game continue and how it all ends, but probably your welcome opinion would suffice.  :-)

Thanks a lot

• Yea, i think it’s fair to say allies lost.  Very rookie allied play.  The lack of bid is now insult to injury.  He might as well learn from his mistakes now and challenge to a rematch.  UK fell, Italy is giant, russia is throwing away free infantry and wont be able to push back germany because of it.  But, the german buys dont seem very optimal par the situation.  He has easily made it to where russia can sit and hold for a while because of the severe lack of ground forces.  Anyway, as long as the axis plays it safe and does not get too greedy, then I don’t see how allies can recover.

• Customizer

If your friend called it quits just because of a successful Sealion, I think that was a mistake. We had a game a while back where Germany took London but the Allies ended up winning. Not only that, but London was never liberated. It was still in German hands when Berlin fell.
    One factor that helped in this was the US sending several planes and wiping out the German navy with all those precious transports. That left a sizable stack of tanks stuck on England with no way to help against US and Russian advances.
    Another thing I have seen with Sealion is often times Germany has to use so many resources to sack London that they end up leaving the eastern border too light and Russia has a field day. As far as I’m concerned, a successful Sealion is not a game ender for the Allies and it may even be more of a game ender for the Axis in some cases.
    If there were other factors besides just losing London that led to your friend throwing in the towel, then perhaps a new game is in order. When you know that you’re going to lose, it’s hard to really get into and enjoy a game like that.

• @knp7765:

If your friend called it quits just because of a successful Sealion, I think that was a mistake. We had a game a while back where Germany took London but the Allies ended up winning. Not only that, but London was never liberated. It was still in German hands when Berlin fell.
    One factor that helped in this was the US sending several planes and wiping out the German navy with all those precious transports. That left a sizable stack of tanks stuck on England with no way to help against US and Russian advances.
    Another thing I have seen with Sealion is often times Germany has to use so many resources to sack London that they end up leaving the eastern border too light and Russia has a field day. As far as I’m concerned, a successful Sealion is not a game ender for the Allies and it may even be more of a game ender for the Axis in some cases.
    If there were other factors besides just losing London that led to your friend throwing in the towel, then perhaps a new game is in order. When you know that you’re going to lose, it’s hard to really get into and enjoy a game like that.

The allies were in no real position to capitalize off of sealion in the link he sent.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

Any player can concede for any reason; you just have to learn who throws a hissy fit and who doesn’t.  I’ve had an Allied player forfeit on me after UK ROUND ONE.  Yep, a scramble didn’t go his way, and a couple of bad rolls in the Med and claimed there was “no way back”.  Meh, a win’s a win, but I’m still in it for the long haul with expectations of an epic game.

In general, a sucessful Sealion doesn’t an Axis victory make.  I’ve lost as the Axis after a sucessful Sealion; the Russian player knew what to do and put immense pressure on a front stripped-bare for landing units.  If Japan gets some bad luck and isn’t threatening victory, it’s bad.

That said, i’ve won plenty of times after a good Sealion, so it’s not an unheard of response.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m