What Makes For The Most Balanced Game?

• '13

Let’s get a community “ruling” on this very important question!

• No research, Yes NO’s, Yes Bid

• Agreed with Ghr2. No research, yes NO and yes bid.

• '13

I should have included that option (no research, yes NO, and bid). Didn’t see any way to update the poll.

• Research helps the Allies, NOs help the Axis.I do not think the game can be played without them, but the Allies, but the UK needs another.  A bid is still necessary for the Allies.

• '13

Updated options in the poll to include no research, NO’s and a bid.

• Sponsor

America is clearly the most likely to attempt and solidify a development, no why deny the allies an advantage in an otherwise Axis friendly game?

• Because when you have to spend on a crap shoot, just to succeed and get ANOTHER crap shoot for which tech, DDs subs ACs trannies and ftrs seem like much better investments.

No Tech FTW.

• '13

There’s a good discussion on ideas for changing how research is done here http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=31634.45.

• Sponsor

@Demandr3d:

Because when you have to spend on a crap shoot, just to succeed and get ANOTHER crap shoot for which tech, DDs subs ACs trannies and ftrs seem like much better investments.

No Tech FTW.

So the logic is to eliminate the option in order to avoid the temptation of using it… hhhmmm.

• Research, NO’s, and no bid. I hate a bid, even if it helps me. I also do research differently.

• TripleA

all that is needed to make the game fair is a bid(for 2 players). you can play with or without tech, with or without national objectives(not sure why anyone would do this) or any other goofy rule and the game is perfectly balanced with with the bid as both sides have to accept and be happy with the bid amount.

by the way national objectives seem to favour the allies.

• No Grasshopper, its not about the temptation, I have zero temptation, I will never spend a dollar on it as any power, as it is extremely inefficient.

I choose to play NT so I can avoid other players who would rather spin the roullette wheel, and thus once in a blue moon pull a big result out of their a$$ and spank me with it.  The rest of the time, their missing dollar value makes the game an easy cleanup for me, I can just lean on em w superioir numbers.

All things being equal (which of course they rarely are) I want my games decided as much as possible by my skill vs your skill.

• '13

@allweneedislove - So would a bid be different for more players or would one team or the other just work out who gets what? Also, my group has played three F2F games now and we played without NO’s because of how they ‘messed up’ AAA50 (or AA50 or AAAE? the anniversary edition). By ‘messed up’, I mean that it made the game artificial by forcing the various powers to go after the NO’s rather than just playing to discover possible options and new strategies.

Having read much in these forums, our next global game will be with NO’s.

• TripleA

bidding in a team game becomes more complicated.
    if you have 2 groups already in a team then bidding can work as per normal.

in aaa global you need to play with national objectives, it is not optional. the game play would not be as rich, and more importantly the usa would not have enough income, hindering the allies from winning.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Demandr3d:

No Grasshopper, its not about the temptation, I have zero temptation, I will never spend a dollar on it as any power, as it is extremely inefficient.

I choose to play NT so I can avoid other players who would rather spin the roullette wheel, and thus once in a blue moon pull a big result out of their a$$ and spank me with it.  The rest of the time, their missing dollar value makes the game an easy cleanup for me, I can just lean on em w superioir numbers.

All things being equal (which of course they rarely are) I want my games decided as much as possible by my skill vs your skill.

Part of the “skill” in Axis and Allies, is knowing when to Gamble.

• Part of the “skill” in Axis and Allies, is knowing when to Gamble.

How True!

Much like professional poker players who understands “pot odds”, the risk vs reward is much of what Axis and Allies is about!

Kim

• No national objectives means that US would have to spend all in the pacific from the first turn, and Japan would always attack on the first turn.

No bid has been proven to be bad for the allies.

Tech is just so random that I don’t like it as it stands now… Maybe if they revamp how tech works I’d like tech in the game.

• The poll missed the most significant thing that puts the US, thereby the Allies at a disadvantage. The fact that Japan only needs 6 victory cities for the Axis to win the entire game. That forces the US to foolishly spend massive resources in the Pacific when they would better be spent in Europe.

The best chance for the Allies to win is for the US to play defensive in the Pacific even if means the risk of losing Hawaii which is a pretty insignificant loss. But with the current rules, that would cost the allies the entire game, even if Italy already had fallen and Russia was still solid.

• The US does not need to spend full in the pac to prevent the win, probably 60-70% of its income.  Remember, anzac is there for support.  Your fleet is much stronger on the defensive and the main job for the US is to sit in queens and take dutch islands or clear the way for anzac transports.  More if you want to really thrash him.  In Europe, if US and UK can work together to get a decent surface fleet going(UK airbase gib does wonders), then the US will only need to spend to make a few loaded transports a turn to keep the pressure going.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m