• I have bought this A&A after 8 years of A&A Revised, where I play starting the game with 8 IPCs for new units for each axis nations;
    does this version needs something like that or is it balanced?
    thanks

• The Allies need help in this one.
    Most give about 10 IPCs to the Allied player( shared amongst the 3 nations how he sees fit).

• 10 is excessive IMHO.  While I prefer NOT to play with one as the Allies, the only thing I could think of is an extra inf in Caucus.

• Thanks Mallery. You have played more than me.
    I remember people saying it was too easy for the Axis when it first came out.

• Axis will probably still win, but I don’t like playing with a bid, especially on the 10 side…that is very heavy and very unnecessary.

• I suppose the point is: if one player is much better than the other, make sure they play the Allies. If both players are the same level, give the Allies one or two units( not 10 IPCs worth though).
    Hope we have helped Pano.

• yes, thank you very much;
    it’s obvious that there are differente visions about this importan thing, and the only solution is to try…
    I have find also a thread in harrisgamedesign about this (but I cannot post the link)

• I find it unbalanced too. I have played 6 or 7 games so far all won by Axis. Players of same level switching sides from game to game. We tried different stuff with Allies and nothing worked.

• UK more than often don’t get a lot of money to buy naval units, thus getting killed by german fighters whenever trying to put naval in UK. Also India is hard to keep.

• US takes forever to come help Russia or England with strong enough troops in Europe. You basically see them coming…

• Russia got 2 IC’s taken pretty early…

Anyone got a strategy idea for allies ?

• After playing the original A&A over 10 years ago, a friend and I just got back on the horse with the Spring 1942 2nd edition.  :-D

We love the new rules (Strat Bombing for example) and feel it’s more “clean” than the first version.

Unfortunately, the game is unbalanced in the other way this time. Axis needed a bit of help (with a 6-8 bid for Axis getting it done.) But in this version, the Allies are in the deep end this time. We’re pretty much of the same calibre and after 4 games (alternating sides), Axis are CRUSHING the Allies… Japan is WAAAY to strong buy the end of turn 3, and there’s no way to build a lasting fleet in the Atlantic that can really push Germans back from Russia.

We also notice that Karelia is unsustainable for the Russian, even in the first turn. With Archangel creating a gap from Moscow, you can’t send reinforcements to help keep it. Caucasus is 2 turns from being crushed.

Is a bid the way to go again?

• I think a 9 bid is most fair, but you can’t allow brittain to bid a sub. I like the idea of 9 split between the three countries.

• We just tried with a bid (11 for Allies: 1 UK Destroyer in SZ 7, 1 RUS Inf in Karelia S.S.R.), and even though the game lasted longer this time, it wasn’t even close to a tie… And the dices were not even on the Axis side (4 times the AA downed the Axis bombers on StratBombing)

Is there an example of a game in the forum where the Allies won?

Please, we need to see it happen  :?

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

I played with my friends last week and although we didn’t finish the game, it is possibly Allies would win.  By the end of the last turn, Japan was losing stream and Germany was sandwiched by British and Russia.  Africa was in US’s hand.  That felt good :mrgreen:

• Are there any games posted online where the Allies have actually won without a bid?  Or even with a bid?

I just recently got 1942.2 and the few games I played the Axis steamrolled the Allies every time.  Russia is just too weak and USA can’t get in the fight quick enough to matter.

• @ IdaRed…
    here’s a game where the allies won on round 16 with no bid

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29493.msg1063280#new

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@captain walker

Just curious…in your playing experience what is your though on 42 2E balance?  Is it necessary to have bid?

• I feel that 42 2e is  balanced. When playing with experienced players I don’t think a bid is necessary.

• Do you think the optional rules, interceptors and Black Sea straits, helps one side or the other in any significant way?

• I’m not familiar with the Black Sea strait rule, but I have played with the interceptor option. That rule seems to reduce the chance of SBR’s…but I don’t think if favors any side.

• It’s one of the two optional rules in the 2e rulebook.  Interceptors being one and this being the other.  No naval units may move into or out of SZ16 (Black Sea) aka Turkish neutrality.  I think that would boost the allies a little since it keeps germany from doing and amphibious assault on CAUCASUS.

• I’ve never used that optional rule. It would help Germany in the early rounds of the game but usually the US/UK take out the bb and tranny as soon as they are able to do so…the UK can take those out in the first round if they really want to.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m