Scrambling against an amphibious assault

• The US has defeated the Japanese navy and two wounded battleships are all that’s left in the seazone around Japan. Japan buys a fighter on its turn and it’s the US turn again. I understand if I leave those battleships there and bring a transport in from Hawaii to try to take the island Japan can scramble that fighter, ensuring I can’t bombard and more than likely taking out one of those battleships, correct?

If I don’t bring in the transport, and just leave those battleships there, the fighter can still scramble against them on the US turn even though they haven’t technically made a combat move, correct?

Finally, let’s say ANZAC brings up a transport to try to take over Japan. If Japan scrambles the fighter, does it do so against the ANZAC transport only (which would kill it barring a 5 or 6 allowing the transport to retreat) or can the US battleships protect it and engage the fighter?

Thanks

• '17

@McX:

The US has defeated the Japanese navy and two wounded battleships are all that’s left in the seazone around Japan. Japan buys a fighter on its turn and it’s the US turn again. I understand if I leave those battleships there and bring a transport in from Hawaii to try to take the island Japan can scramble that fighter, ensuring I can’t bombard and more than likely taking out one of those battleships, correct?

Unless the airbase has 3 or more damage from a strategic bombing raid, Japan can scramble into the SZ. If Japan has any kamikazes left, using one would also stop bombardment.

@McX:

If I don’t bring in the transport, and just leave those battleships there, the fighter can still scramble against them on the US turn even though they haven’t technically made a combat move, correct?

Unless Japan mobilized a surface ship in SZ6, in this scenario it has no option to scramble.

@McX:

Finally, let’s say ANZAC brings up a transport to try to take over Japan. If Japan scrambles the fighter, does it do so against the ANZAC transport only (which would kill it barring a 5 or 6 allowing the transport to retreat) or can the US battleships protect it and engage the fighter?

Japan would be scrambling against the ANZAC transport alone.

• thank you wheatbeer

• '17

You’re welcome  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m