• We are arguing about the following rule on page 31 europe or 32 pacific.

Page Air units based on a defending carrier must land on the same carrier if possible after the battle. If that carrier is destroyed or damaged in combat, they must try to land on a different friendly carrier in the same sea zone, move 1 space to a friendly carrier or territory, or be destroyed. This movement occurs during the Noncombat Movement phase, before the acting player makes any noncombat movements.

Can you land only on islands or any territory that is one space away? My friend is saying that it costs 2 to move to the mainland, but only 1 to move to the island, therefore you can only land on islands to respect the rule above. I say you can land anywhere that is one space away, regardless of what it is.

• '17

You can land on any friendly land territory (island or not) that shares a border with the SZ.

It never costs more than 1 movement point to cross 1 border.

• '17

Example:
    Italy attacks a UK fleet which includes a loaded carrier in SZ72
    UK planes survive but the carrier is damaged
    Unless controlled by an Axis power, Madagascar/Tanganyika/Kenya would all be options for landing the UK planes

• Thank you sir.

• Two subs fire at a damaged BB and a CV with 2 Fig.'s
    The subs each hit, the defender takes one on the BB and one on the CV. Are the planes in the air , or on the CV?
    Tanks
    S.A.

• Planes are in the air, they still take part in the battle, just they don’t do anything.  You can move them 1 space to land or else they are SOL.

• Yep that is what I thought, they tried telling me I needed a DD in the waters, I said no, they thought I was pulling rules out of my hat…so I just let it go
    Tanks
    S.A.

• How we play, and what I think the rules state. You can only land on an island if it is already in the sea zone where the battle occurred, otherwise they would move to to get anywhere. One to the next sea zone and then two to the land. If you land on and island in the sea zone where the battle occurred it would only be one to the sea zone.

• I know the discussion settled long ago, but since @apollyon was last to post something that seems incorrect, I think it better to rectify.

The Pacific 1940 2nd Ed. rules clearly say p31 “If that carrier is destroyed or damaged in combat, they [the defending fighters] must try to land on a different friendly carrier in the same sea zone, move 1 space to a friendly carrier or territory, or be destroyed.”
    I cannot find the exact quote in the rules, [please bear with me], but you spend one move each time you cross a dividing line on the map :

• from a territory to another territory, (land and air units)
    • from a sea zone to another sea zone, (naval and air units)
    • from a sea zone to an island/adjacent territory and vice-versa (air units)

Since I don’t have Europe or Global, let me provide an AAP40E2 example:
    A FIG in SZ36 having defended from an attack on their previously undamaged but now sunken CV could land on :

• another friendly CV in SZ36 (no move), or adjacent SZs 20, 35, 37, 43 (move 1 space),
    • FIC, Kwangsi or Hainan island if any under friendly control (move 1 space).

They could NOT land on any of friendly Formosa, Philippines or Borneo (move 2 spaces), nor on Malaya, Shan State, Siam, Kwangtung or Kiangsi (also move 2 spaces).

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Correct.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m