Air units can participate in sea battle or coastal attack: I don't get it

• Hi all,

According to the air units general movement rules, air units move from space to space, whether the space is a territory, an island or a sea space, paying one 1 MP for each crossed boundary. So, an air unit is either over land or over sea. (Well, right?) But the rule for air units in the amphibious assaults section states that “each attacking air unit can participate in the sea battle or the attack on the coastal territory; it can’t do both. The attacking player must declare witch air units are involved in each part of the attack […]”. How is this possible? It suggests that air units can be over a boundary, between a coastal territory and a sea. I don’t get it.

Thanks,

MB

• On amphibious assaults, aircraft can either choose to fight in the sea battle or the land battle-  If they fight in the sea battle, they only have to have the movement points to get to the sea and land safely somewhere.  If they choose to fight in the land battle, they have to have the movement available to go to the land territory and land somewhere safely.

Does this answer your question?

• Yes, sort of.

I understand I wasn’t missing something somewhere. As the Air units movement rule is already clear enough, there was no need to add the part about the player having to declare if an air unit participates in the territory battle or the sea battle.

Thanks for your reply!

MB

• Official Q&A

Sometimes it can get a little confusing in island sea zones which units are in the sea zone and which are on the island.  The statement is intended to make sure the attacker indicates which air units are which, since they can in many cases get to either space.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m