• Is this game balanced?  Not as far as I can tell.  The CPs have a huge hurdle to cover- namely Paris.  After a few games that I’ve played Paris has never been seriously threatened- and the biggest obstacle has been supply lines from Berlin.  But this has been my most successful strategy:

Austria (26 IPCs)
    Purchase:
    1 Fighter, 1 Submarine, 2 Inf, 2 Art
    Movement:
    Venice- Tyrolia and Trieste Armies (12 Inf, 4 Art) attack 6 Inf, 2 Art
    Serbia- 4 Inf, 2 Art from Budapest attack 3 Inf, 1 Art - Minimal attack on Serbia- no reason to get too many units stuck down there. 
    Romania- 8 Inf from Budapest and 6 Inf, 2 Art from Galicia (14 Inf, 2 Art) attack 5 Inf, 1 Art -The Army in Romania will be the Austrian contingent in Russia- All other purchases will go to Trieste, then into Italy. 
    Tyrolia- 6 Inf, 2 Art from Bohemia
    Trieste-10 Inf, 2 Art from Vienna
    Galicia-2 Inf from Vienna

-The Austrian strategy is to move as much as possible to Rome as quickly as possible.  The purchased fighter will most likely ensure air supremacy in Italy. 
    -If Russia presses hard into Galicia, which I suppose they could, the Romanian Army along with purchased units in Vienna could hit the Russian stack. 
    -If Russia hits Romania hard, the idea is the Ottomans would come to help through Bulgaria. 
    -If the Allies activate Albania early, just bypass it.  It should not be enough to threaten Trieste.  If it attacks Serbia, then use portions of Trieste/Romania/Budapest forces to counter.  Use the minimum possible forces- it is better to contest a territory in the Balkans and have a few more Inf fighting in Russia and/or Italy.
    -Why buy a submarine?  Well, you are growing the Austrian navy and threatening the med at minimal cost.  with 26 IPCs to spend, more than 6 on navy seems counterproductive; and if you don’t spend it your Navy may be toast quickly.  ‘Fleet in being’ at its finest.  Perhaps in a couple turns with more IPCs rolling in you could opt to buy Battleships instead of Subs.

Germany (35 IPCs)
    Purchase: 1 Submarine, 1 Fighter, 2 Artillery, 5 Infantry
    Movement:
    If Russia stacked Poland with 18+ Infantry and 6+ Artillery, then move Berlin Army (13 Inf, 3 art, 1 ftr), Hanover Army (6 Inf), Prussia Army (5 Inf, 3 Art) - leave 1 Inf in Prussia) to Silesia- to have 30 Infantry, 8 Art, 1 Ftr. 
    If Russia did not stack Poland, should attack Poland with Silesia and Prussia Armies (And Berlin Fighter).  The Hanover and Berlin Army move to Silesia for reinforcements.
    In either case, the starting Berlin, Hanover, Prussia, and Silesia Armies are the German contingent in Russia.
    Belgium- 7 Inf, 3 Art from Alsace, 7 Inf, 3 Art from Ruhr attack 3 Inf, 1 Art. 
    Alsace- 1 Inf from Munich
    Ruhr- 10 Inf, 3 Art from Munich, 3 Inf, 4 Art from Kiel.
    SZ 9- 1 BB, 2 Cruisers, 2 Submarines vs. 1 BB, 2 Cruisers, 1 Transport (Hopefully this goes well)
    SZ 2- 2 Submarines vs. 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    Africa- um, yeah- Run around a bit, try and survive, make the Allies attack at low odds if possible.

-German strategy is to hit Russia as hard as possible early to force them into Revolution, and play defensive on the western front for as long as possible.
    -All new purchases are meant for Paris.  If necessary, a temporary retreat from Belgium to Ruhr is OK as long as you are making headway into Russia.
    -Buying a Submarine is an effort to slowly build up the Navy.  The longer the Navy survives (bring back survivors from SZ 9 back to SZ 10 turn 2), the more ships the allies have to buy and the less help the British can send to Russia (through the Baltic).  Cannot afford Battleships until you get a few territories in Russia, but recommend adding some in later rounds.

Ottoman Empire (16 IPCs)
    Purchase: 2 Inf, 2 Art
    Movement:
    Bulgaria- 6 Inf, 2 Art from Constantinople (to activate the 5 Inf, 1 Art) - Ottoman Russian Contingent #1
    The rest of Ottoman moves depend on what Britain did, but generally:
    Play defensive against Britain; make them attack with low odds- you want them to spend money in India.
    Mesopotamia- 6 Inf, 1 Art from Ankara (to add to the 2 Inf, 1 Art) - Ottoman Russian Contingent #2 -or- If Britain attacked Persia, then it fights on this front (depending on how many troops are needed).
    Britain probably attacked Trans-Jordan, and there’s nothing you can do about it.  With luck it is still contested.  Doesn’t matter- you leave your Smyrna and Syrian Desert Armies in place.

-Ottoman strategy is thus- supply two Armies to Russia and the rest is spent fighting Britain in India and/or Trans-Jordan.  The best outcome for the Ottoman Empire is to take a couple Russian territories and to threaten India and/or Africa so much that Britain is forced to spend a lot of IPCs down there- and not on the Western Front.

What do you guys think?

• I like attacking holland with kiel and berlin fighter.
    And, i would probably not bother with the canadian ships and go for better odds on the big fleet.
    what is stopping russia from attacking your sub?

• @ghr2:

I like attacking holland with kiel and berlin fighter.
    And, i would probably not bother with the canadian ships and go for better odds on the big fleet.

Well, sending the two subs through two minefields doesn’t sound too good.

I suppose nothing stops Russia from attacking my Subs, but two minefields.  And turn 2 Germany would kill the Russian BB.

• @ghr2:

The attack on the Canadian ships is in the Germans favor. with typical luck, you kill the cruiser and transport, losing only one sub. No mines to run either.

I also like attacking Holland turn one, this was the original Sheflin Plan.

Kim

• @KimRYoung:

@ghr2:

The attack on the Canadian ships is in the Germans favor. with typical luck, you kill the cruiser and transport, losing only one sub. No mines to run either.

I also like attacking Holland turn one, this was the original Sheflin Plan.

Kim

Why bother with Holland?  Gives the Allies another place to land and you may lose some men there.

• Aheflin never had a plan, it was just a note he scrabbled down just before he died

• BJ,

Landing in Holland gives you a little $$, and use it as your road to the front. If they want to land their fine, you get artillery bombardment on them, and you can reinforce it quicker as if the French move up they are really extending their lines.

UK would have to commit a lot of resources to make such an invasion get a foothold, and that $$ not going to India.

Not saying its a game winner or anything, but I would rather get there first in strength rather then let the UK land with no German resistance.

Kim

• @KimRYoung:

BJ,

Landing in Holland gives you a little $$, and use it as your road to the front. If they want to land their fine, you get artillery bombardment on them, and you can reinforce it quicker as if the French move up they are really extending their lines.

UK would have to commit a lot of resources to make such an invasion get a foothold, and that $$ not going to India.

Not saying its a game winner or anything, but I would rather get there first in strength rather then let the UK land with no German resistance.

Kim

Fair enough, I suppose attacking both Belgium and Holland in the west would be good.  Any other comments?

• I like the sound of your strategy BJCard.
    Only change I would make is in buying 2 Subs on G1, forfeiting two Inf.

• @wittmann:

I like the sound of your strategy BJCard.
    Only change I would make is in buying 2 Subs on G1, forfeiting two Inf.

Thanks wittman; but if you are going to buy 2 Subs, why not a BB?

• @BJCard:

@ghr2:

I suppose nothing stops Russia from attacking my Subs, but two minefields.  And turn 2 Germany would kill the Russian BB.

Ya but mines are never a guarentee, and you have much better odds on having ANY surviving units if everything goes for the home fleet.

The germany mine fields are hardly a deter-ant for a near useless russian battleship.

• Customizer

The Russian BB exists to stop the Germans landing in Karelia. Be glad of it.

Has anyone tried taking it out with German turn 1, rather than going after the UK fleet? Build some transports and threaten Karelia directly.

Russia would then be forced to spend on navy to disrupt the convoy, but perhaps Germany is too worried about tempting the British navy into the Baltic…

• I’ve considered attacking the Russian fleet but it just seems way more advantageous to take out the UK’s.

• @ghr2:

@BJCard:

@ghr2:

Ya but mines are never a guarentee, and you have much better odds on having ANY surviving units if everything goes for the home fleet.

The germany mine fields are hardly a deter-ant for a near useless russian battleship.

Fair enough about all German ships attacking the British home fleet.  Just, with rolling 4 mines, chances are pretty good you lose one, so I figured taking out the Canadian ships better.  Agreed about the Russian Battleship- I have not seen it moved yet due to the deterrence and defense value - to help prevent or at least deter German landings in Karelia.

• To be honest, I thought the game was a bit unbalanced in favor of the CPs.  What are people doing with the Allies to make them more competitive.

• @Texas:

To be honest, I thought the game was a bit unbalanced in favor of the CPs.  What are people doing with the Allies to make them more competitive.

Well, I am going to write up the Allies playbook as well (eventually), but in short- defend- make the CPs attack at low odds.  If you cannot get good odds the next round, retreat- leave one infantry so the CPs cannot advance.  I have played an aggressive Russia and a defensive one- the defensive one held out much longer.  The UK needs to command the sea and support India/Africa.  Italy and France, just survive until the UK can really get rolling.  France can actually stand toe-to-toe with the Germans because they are so close to their capital- at least while Germany is still fighting in Russia.  Have the US plop 6 transports full of units where they are needed turn 5/6.

• I dont buy any navy until G2 (when the new ships can combine with the ones that attacked the UK flleet)

Other wise Russia will likely attack your new ship with its BB

I also dont see much point in Germany buying any transports.

I think Turkey taking India is a major key to CP victory

• @BJCard:

Germany (35 IPCs)
    Purchase: 1 Submarine, 1 Fighter, 2 Artillery, 5 Infantry
    Movement:
    If Russia stacked Poland with 18+ Infantry and 6+ Artillery, then move Berlin Army (13 Inf, 3 art, 1 ftr), Hanover Army (6 Inf), Prussia Army (5 Inf, 3 Art) - leave 1 Inf in Prussia) to Silesia- to have 30 Infantry, 8 Art, 1 Ftr.�
    If Russia did not stack Poland, should attack Poland with Silesia and Prussia Armies (And Berlin Fighter).� The Hanover and Berlin Army move to Silesia for reinforcements.
    In either case, the starting Berlin, Hanover, Prussia, and Silesia Armies are the German contingent in Russia.
    Belgium- 7 Inf, 3 Art from Alsace, 7 Inf, 3 Art from Ruhr attack 3 Inf, 1 Art.�
    Alsace- 1 Inf from Munich
    Ruhr- 10 Inf, 3 Art from Munich, 3 Inf, 4 Art from Kiel.
    SZ 9- 1 BB, 2 Cruisers, 2 Submarines vs. 1 BB, 2 Cruisers, 1 Transport (Hopefully this goes well)
    SZ 2- 2 Submarines vs. 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
    Africa- um, yeah- Run around a bit, try and survive, make the Allies attack at low odds if possible.

-German strategy is to hit Russia as hard as possible early to force them into Revolution, and play defensive on the western front for as long as possible.
    -All new purchases are meant for Paris.� If necessary, a temporary retreat from Belgium to Ruhr is OK as long as you are making headway into Russia.
    -Buying a Submarine is an effort to slowly build up the Navy.� The longer the Navy survives (bring back survivors from SZ 9 back to SZ 10 turn 2), the more ships the allies have to buy and the less help the British can send to Russia (through the Baltic).� Cannot afford Battleships until you get a few territories in Russia, but recommend adding some in later rounds.

It looks like you are leaving Alsace with just 1 infantry.  Why are you giving that away to the French?  I typically move everything up from Munich to Alsace.

• Well, if the French want to attack Alsace then the combined German army could destroy whatever the French move there.  On the other hand, if they don’t attack it then all of the German western Army can be in Belgium turn 2 and it may be too much for the French to match and/or beat.

On the other hand by splitting the German forces over two territories could invite the French into destroying the German army piecemeal; especially since the French will have air superiority for the first couple turns.

• @BJCard:

Well, if the French want to attack Alsace then the combined German army could destroy whatever the French move there.  On the other hand, if they don’t attack it then all of the German western Army can be in Belgium turn 2 and it may be too much for the French to match and/or beat.

Alsace borders Belgium though, so the entire western Army can still be in Belgium turn 2 and you don’t have to worry about the French flanking your army and pulling them away from Paris.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m