• Hi all,

(Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but I didn’t find it.)

I read in various messages that players could block the advance of an enemy navy. For instance:

“The US can move blockers to sea zones 8 and 9, keeping Japan from taking Western Canada before turn 3.”

“I would probably try to use ANZAC to block Hawaii.”

“UK will have to decide between guarding Canada or covering London. It would be extremely difficult for the US & UK to have blockers out to prevent every approach to Canada.”

I understand this can be done when powers are at war against each other. But how is blocking possible when they’re not, as the rule states “A power’s ships do not block naval movements of other powers with which it is not at war, nor are they blocked by them. They can occupy the same sea zone”?

Thanks,

MB

• Hi Meta Baston, you are right in saying countries not at war or Neutral(US) can share a SZ.
    The Allies sometimes do it in anticipation of a Japanese DOW.
    War must be declared at the beginning of the Combat Round, so Allied ships could Block a J2 or 3 attack.
    They are simply moves to intimidate or frustrate the Japanese player.
    Hope that helps.

• Hi!

Yes, I see. But I understand this strategy has its limits. For example, a Japan player could move an invasion fleet in SZ45 or 46 and hit Northern territory or Queensland on turn 3, even if there is an ally fleet in one of the zone. I’m not sure this would be a winning strategy but still, one can’t really “block” a fleet when not at war. (I thought I was missing something in the rules. I don’t. Good!  :-) )

Cheers,

MB

• '12

@Meta:

Hi!

Yes, I see. But I understand this strategy has its limits. For example, a Japan player could move an invasion fleet in SZ45 or 46 and hit Northern territory or Queensland on turn 3, even if there is an ally fleet in one of the zone. I’m not sure this would be a winning strategy but still, one can’t really “block” a fleet when not at war. (I thought I was missing something in the rules. I don’t. Good!  :-) )

Cheers,

MB

Moves like you describe could encourage the Allies to make an unprovoked attack on Japan, since otherwise they have no way to block Japan’s movements as you said.  In fact the only way to block an opening Japanese attack on India is a UK1 DoW, since otherwise Japan will just be sitting in the SZ next to Calcutta J2 no matter how the Allies positioned their fleet.

• Hi,

Yes, I see how uDOW gives UK and Anzac some mean to avoid being in a difficult situation too early in the game!

MB

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m