• IWNGU + FMG played our first game of A&A 1914 last night.

The write-up and my brief review of the game can be found here -> http://iwngu.com/wordpress/2013/03/21/review-axis-and-allies-1914/

Very brief summary : 3 players, 4 hours, 5 turns (one player was really REALLY slow), Central Powers extended victory (called the game at T5 with the appearance of an eventual CP victory and it was a work night).

• Some of the rules you used were wrong- specifically the Revolution (Allies can enter post revolution Russia) and USA movement (USA cannot enter any Allied or CP territory before war).  Both of these have been confirmed by Krieghund in the FAQ thread.

Thanks for sharing though-  Good to see a CP victory!  Most reports show an Allied bias right now.

• Customizer

I think the Allies are giving up too soon in these games; taking Rome and Paris is harder than people might assume, due to extended supply lines.

You missed a couple more rules:

Austria MUST attack Serbia turn 1. I know its a stupid move, but it is mandatory.

I’m at work and don’t have the rules to hand, but don’t fighters strafe at 2?

You said that Burgundy was contested r1, I assume you meant Belgium?

• @BJCard:

Some of the rules you used were wrong- specifically the Revolution (Allies can enter post revolution Russia) and USA movement (USA cannot enter any Allied or CP territory before war).  Both of these have been confirmed by Krieghund in the FAQ thread.

Thanks for sharing though-  Good to see a CP victory!  Most reports show an Allied bias right now.

Interesting.  Allies entering Russian territories post Revolution wasn’t an issue anyway (no allies where even near Russia), but the USA movement one … I guess had we read the FAQ’s we’d know, but the rules pretty clearly say (simply) “USA may not enter any Central Power controlled or contested territories before they are at war” (not a direct quote, but something close to that).  It says nothing of allied territories.  Hmmm.

At any rate … first game, learning curve, etc.  We’re bound to get SOMETHING wrong.

• @Flashman:

I think the Allies are giving up too soon in these games; taking Rome and Paris is harder than people might assume, due to extended supply lines.

Definately it is harder than it looks.  However, at the time it was getting late on a work night so we called it as it was.  Had we continued on I’m sure things would have changed but with the time of night and having a particularly slow player onboard … you know.

You missed a couple more rules:

Austria MUST attack Serbia turn 1. I know its a stupid move, but it is mandatory.

I’m at work and don’t have the rules to hand, but don’t fighters strafe at 2?

You said that Burgundy was contested r1, I assume you meant Belgium?

Yes, meant Belgium.  I admit, some of the territory names will be wrong as I didn’t write them down and I don’t personally have the game at hand to look at right now.

You are correct, they strafe at 2 (mistyped and I will fix that).

Did not catch the Austria MUSt attack Serbia T1 in the rules either. � Good to know!

• Customizer

See the sticky thread at the top - the rule book is wrong on this issue (American units cannot enter Allied tt until at war; though they can enter any SZ, without rollign for mines.)

I’ve played the first 4 turns with some wrong assumptions about who gets control of neutrals in some circumstances.

• @Flashman:

See the sticky thread at the top - the rule book is wrong on this issue (American units cannot enter Allied tt until at war; though they can enter any SZ, without rollign for mines.)

I’ve played the first 4 turns with some wrong assumptions about who gets control of neutrals in some circumstances.

Yep.  We will definately read the FAQ’s.  The issue I have with rulebooks being wrong is that people who do NOT know about these things (the vast majority of board gamers don’t come to the net to find corrections in my experience) are going to follow whats in the book.  So even if it’s wrong, it will be played that way most of the time (again, from my personal experience with gamers).  Another issue I have with the FAQ/Sticky here is … it’s disorganized.  I can’t imagine going through pages and pages of questions/answers to find a couple that we missed tbh.  If it were an organized errata, that would help.  If there is one (and I imagine there must be by now) I will link it!

With all the new mechanics in this one, as long time A&A players we’re bound to get mixed up on some rules.  hah.

• Customizer

I find it interesting that none of the games posted on this forum have ended with the victory conditions that are stated in the rules…which doesn’t really surprise me due to the nature of the war, but I kind of wish there had been more of a design consideration for alternate game endings, besides ‘we don’t feel like playing anymore.’

Flashman, remember what Sun Tzu said:

Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy’s resistance without fighting.

I think the Allies are giving up too soon as well, but taking Moscow is a major morale victory for the CP’s, and it seems to be very effective.

[Edit]: I guess revolution was triggered in this game, but the effect is similar.

• @IWillNeverGrowUp:

@Flashman:

Yep. � We will definately read the FAQ’s. � The issue I have with rulebooks being wrong is that people who do NOT know about these things (the vast majority of board gamers don’t come to the net to find corrections in my experience) are going to follow whats in the book. � So even if it’s wrong, it will be played that way most of the time (again, from my personal experience with gamers).  Another issue I have with the FAQ/Sticky here is … it’s disorganized.  I can’t imagine going through pages and pages of questions/answers to find a couple that we missed tbh.  If it were an organized errata, that would help.  If there is one (and I imagine there must be by now) I will link it!

With all the new mechanics in this one, as long time A&A players we’re bound to get mixed up on some rules. � hah.

Given time, there will be an organized FAQ as there is with every other A&A game.  There is supposed to be an preliminary one out this Friday.

• Customizer

If I were Germany I’d feel completely cheated by the Revolution. UNLESS it created a new Bolshevik power friendly to the Central powers…

@ossel:

I find it interesting that none of the games posted on this forum have ended with the victory conditions that are stated in the rules…which doesn’t really surprise me due to the nature of the war, but I kind of wish there had been more of a design consideration for alternate game endings, besides ‘we don’t feel like playing anymore.’

Flashman, remember what Sun Tzu said:

Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy’s resistance without fighting.

I think the Allies are giving up too soon as well, but taking Moscow is a major morale victory for the CP’s, and it seems to be very effective.

[Edit]: I guess revolution was triggered in this game, but the effect is similar.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m