• Just started a 1940 v2 global game with a friend. We’ve only played 1942 v1 so we’re finding our feet a little.

As germany he has only managed to take northern france. I managed to get incredibly good dice rolls as france and wiped out all of his ground forces so it is currently empty for Italy to take. He also didn’t kill any of my Navy in Sz 110/111 and bought 3 tanks and a fighter in the first turn.

Just wondering what I do next. Tempted as the UK to buy an AC and a fighter and try and take out his Navy and clear a path so I can try and transport troops to Denmark/Norway to haress him or try and storm Normandy which I know I can take with Naval bombardment but won’t be able to keep. Or I could buy subs and clear his Navy and then try and disrupt his convoy just to keep his IPC low.

Also, I feel like I am buggered in the Med for the time being so opening move should be to try and pull fleet back to India?

UK Pacific Purchases currently look like 3 Infantry and 2 Artillery.

We’ve not played Japan’s turn yet but am considering buying 1 AC, 1 Destroyer, 1 Sub for Pacific with the idea of moving fleet to Hawaii in Turn 1 and then down to Australia in Turn 2. Possibly a carrier in Atlantic with a Sub.

Thanks!

• Considder buying two bombers to sink italys fleet

• Reinforce SZ 10/11 fleets with carrier and land fighters. Purchase transports as well. You can still attack Italian fleet by sending the uk bomber and all available in the med. round 2 you should be able to put pressure in France quick. He has no sealion threat, or money from France. Should be real difficult for Germany, sounds like a disaster.

• If I understand correctly he took Normandy/Bordeaux? The capital is empty?

• If Paris is still not taken one option is to reinforce it with all available allied air that can reach to defend against Italy. Can’t think at the top of my head what can reach from northern Italy, but if held France can purchase and place 5 inf/1 art on their turn.

• @RogertheShrubber:

If Paris is still not taken one option is to reinforce it with all available allied air that can reach to defend against Italy. Can’t think at the top of my head what can reach from northern Italy, but if held France can purchase and place 5 inf/1 art on their turn.

Yes Paris is empty. I can get 3 Fighters from UK, 1 from Gibralter and 1 from Med Fleet but there will be no canon fodder.

In Northern Italy there is 2 infantry, 2 artillery, 1 tank, 2 AAA, 1 strategic bomber, major IC and 2  Fightersin Southern Italy.

Would love to place them in France but it will be very costly and I can’t see him not taking it.

Was considering moving Med UK fleet to take out Italy in Ethiopia and attacking Tobruk so I can keep Axis off Africa.

• @RogertheShrubber:

Reinforce SZ 10/11 fleets with carrier and land fighters. Purchase transports as well. You can still attack Italian fleet by sending the uk bomber and all available in the med. round 2 you should be able to put pressure in France quick. He has no sealion threat, or money from France. Should be real difficult for Germany, sounds like a disaster.

Only have 28 points to spend. So did think about a carrier and 1 fighter but now thinking 2 Subs, 1 Destoryer and 1 Infantry/Artillery.

Idea currently forming in my head is to take out Germany Navy in Sz113 in T1 and move Med Fleet to Ethiopia. T2 get troops on to Norway. T3 put down minor IC in Norway and reinforce with US fighters. Move fleet towards Med.

I figure the Subs can convoy germany and help reduce his available ICP’s.

Really open to suggestions though.

• It is highly recommended to take out as much of the Italian fleet as possible, even sacrificing your Med fleet carrier to do so.  Italy doesn’t make very much money so it will be tough for them to replace it.  If Italy takes Paris and has its fleet, their fleet will be unassailable (They will have 35+ IPCs to spend on a fleet).  Man they could have a BB, CV (with 2 Fighters), CA, 2+ DD.  Tough to take out with the Allies.

I would NOT stack Paris with British air- The Italians could hit it with everything in North Italy plus 2 fighters, 1 bomber.

I also wouldn’t bother building subs as Britain- they don’t defend well against German air and lose their usefulness once you start to make landings in Europe.

You may want the US to build the IC in Norway vice the UK-  If UK has a fleet big enough to sit in the channel then they can just transport units to Norway/Denmark/Normandy/etc.

It isn’t a bad plan to build units in South Africa and transport them to Egypt- also I like to take out Ethiopia as soon as possible.

The US is tough to build- you never know exactly what you need on each coast- however in this situation you may want to build more in Pacific if Germany lost so bad in France.

• I’m not going to try to say that the game is already over, but Germany is in for a very hard victory if France doesn’t fall turn 1.

Since Russia will be facing less troops from Germany, they should absolutely push into Finland and Norway and make nightmares for Germany.

With that strong of a UK navy, the UK might be able to handle themselves without too much American support. You may want to consider a ridiculously heavy Pacific buy (with maybe only 1-3 transports) and chase down Japan’s navy. Don’t focus on a big invasion fleet, just enough to take back the Philippines or the DEI. Instead focus on subs and destroyers and maybe a couple extra carriers with planes.

• Haven’t had my global board out in awhile so I could not remember if N Italy boarded Paris or not, so you’re right, scratch the allied defense in Paris. Since it seems Italy will be grabbing the money from France it’s now essential to hit SZ 97. Don’t waste time with Norway factory just prep and land in France, that’s what I would do IMHO. Create a battle of attrition and bring attention there, Russia is lost for Germany.

• I can get the US to land in Norway and the UK Fleet can hold near Denmark. The fleet should be enough without Air support to take out the German Navy in Sz113. I will divert everything to taking out Italian Fleet in the Med.

Is it worth me losing all of my air/Med Fleet to take out Navy in 95/96/97? That’s a total of

SZ 95: 1 transport, 1 submarine, 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser
    SZ 96: 1 transport, 1 destroyer
    SZ 97: 1 transport, 1 cruiser, 1 battleship

And I can bring

1 transport, 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser, 1 aircraft carrier (carrying 1 tactical bomber)
    5 Fighters

Looks fairly close and I will incur some losses. Can seem me 2 Fighters, a Destroyer and Cruiser at least.

I guess I can follow up with the French fleet and Fighter

Will buy 1 Infantry/Artillery for a T2 invasion. I don’t think I have the points for a carrier. Perhaps 1 bomber and a destroyer.

I think I will be buying 2 Carriers, 1 Destroyer, 2 Subs for US T1 and split the force between Pacific and Atlantic. Will send Pacific Fleet down to Austrailia. T2 will be fighters for the carriers.

I have also sent 1 Tank/1Mech Infantry/2 Infantry down to NW Persia from Caucasus. Am split between attacking Iraq and openign up Persia. I currently have pulled back all on Soviet/Germany border just leaving a single infantry and have stacked 18 Infantry in Novogorod and about 10 (with a further 6 on their way from Moscow the following turn) in Ukraine along with some other assets. Will be concentrating on Artillery next round.

On a seperate note, where I can find out about all the abreviations you all use?

• '10

@SunTzu7:

On a seperate note, where I can find out about all the abreviations you all use?

Here : http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27430.0

• 96 and 97 are many times the standard attack and many people leave 95. A lot of the abbreviation are listed on another thread, just search abbreviations it should come up with a thread.

• Did Germany attack Russia G1?

• @SunTzu7:

I can get the US to land in Norway and the UK Fleet can hold near Denmark. The fleet should be enough without Air support to take out the German Navy in Sz113. I will divert everything to taking out Italian Fleet in the Med.

Is it worth me losing all of my air/Med Fleet to take out Navy in 95/96/97? That’s a total of

SZ 95: 1 transport, 1 submarine, 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser
    SZ 96: 1 transport, 1 destroyer
    SZ 97: 1 transport, 1 cruiser, 1 battleship

And I can bring

1 transport, 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser, 1 aircraft carrier (carrying 1 tactical bomber)
    5 Fighters

Looks fairly close and I will incur some losses. Can seem me 2 Fighters, a Destroyer and Cruiser at least.

I guess I can follow up with the French fleet and Fighter

Will buy 1 Infantry/Artillery for a T2 invasion. I don’t think I have the points for a carrier. Perhaps 1 bomber and a destroyer.

I think I will be buying 2 Carriers, 1 Destroyer, 2 Subs for US T1 and split the force between Pacific and Atlantic. Will send Pacific Fleet down to Austrailia. T2 will be fighters for the carriers.

I have also sent 1 Tank/1Mech Infantry/2 Infantry down to NW Persia from Caucasus. Am split between attacking Iraq and openign up Persia. I currently have pulled back all on Soviet/Germany border just leaving a single infantry and have stacked 18 Infantry in Novogorod and about 10 (with a further 6 on their way from Moscow the following turn) in Ukraine along with some other assets. Will be concentrating on Artillery next round.

You can’t hit all three SZs that contain Italian ships in the Med- Usually SZ 95 is left alone.  Send the Cruiser from Gibraltar to SZ 96 along with the Fighter from Gibraltar.  Everything else to SZ 97.  Depending on where the German airforce is, and how well you roll, you can leave fighters on the UK Carrier in SZ 96 or land all British air in Malta.  Typically I only win with the Carrier and fighters, so I leave the carrier to die and save my air.  From there you can move some Indian ocean boats up through the Suez and/or bring British boats from Canada/UK to the Med if you want.  the SZ to the left of Gibraltar is powerful- from there (and its NB) you can hit Norway, France, Denmark, and Italy.

One thing to think about is using the US to take Denmark and then the UK move into the Baltic and take Berlin!  My last game Germany had only light defenses in Berlin not thinking about the one-two punch of US/UK.

As Russia, if you can take Iraq it is great because it is worth 5 IPCs for them.  Persia is also good, but sometimes I take Persia with the UK to build a minor factory there- all depends on what your plans are.

I would definitely be aggressive with the UK because of Germany’s weakness in France.  I agree with the above posters-  Don’t bother with a UK factory in Norway- better to land in France/Denmark/Belgium or Southern France/Italy (Depending on where you want to attack).

• Customizer

You can’t take out the German fleet in SZ 113 with British fleet until you take and hold Denmark. The Danish Straights are protected by Denmark. UK has to take Denmark in one round, hold it from a German attack then on the next round British ships can move through the Danish Straights and whomp the German fleet.

• @knp7765:

You can’t take out the German fleet in SZ 113 with British fleet until you take and hold Denmark. The Danish Straights are protected by Denmark. UK has to take Denmark in one round, hold it from a German attack then on the next round British ships can move through the Danish Straights and whomp the German fleet.

I didn’t realise this. Thanks! So Norway or Denmark? I can reach both although only with 2 ground units. I will be diverting all air assets to the Med so will only be whatever Navy I have.

I don’t know whether the Soviets will be declared on by Germany for their next turn or not but if they have, I may try and use their Sub/Cruiser in Sz 115 to whittle the German fleet down.

• @RogertheShrubber:

Did Germany attack Russia G1?

No. France mostly. He took out the following also

SZ 91: 1 cruiser
    SZ 109: 1 destroyer

So can’t double up with fighter from Gibralter and Cruiser. Only have the Med Fleet and fighters.

• @BJCard:

[
    One thing to think about is using the US to take Denmark and then the UK move into the Baltic and take Berlin!  My last game Germany had only light defenses in Berlin not thinking about the one-two punch of US/UK. Â

As Russia, if you can take Iraq it is great because it is worth 5 IPCs for them.  Persia is also good, but sometimes I take Persia with the UK to build a minor factory there- all depends on what your plans are. Â

I would definitely be aggressive with the UK because of Germany’s weakness in France.  I agree with the above posters-  Don’t bother with a UK factory in Norway- better to land in France/Denmark/Belgium or Southern France/Italy (Depending on where you want to attack).
    [/quote]

Ok. I cannot get any US troops on to German soil for till turn 2. I can get some UK Troops on the ground now but will likely not hold it. Why is Norway not a good option? Should Russia build a troop carrier to get some troops to Denmark also? I have a lot of infantry in USSR currently, and specifically Novogorod.

• Us goes pacific heavy with destroyers, subs, and loaded carriers.  Battleships and cruisers are pointless in this version.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m