• Do you like the new game? I like it a lot, especially the national advantages.

• Like the new map,3d tanks,cheap planes and destroyer shore attack weapon…dont care for the Advantages…too confusing and hard to remember…Revised edition is superior to original

• 2007 AAR League

You got to like the National Advantages!!! That’s my favorite part. I do agree that they can be a little hard to remember but everyone will probably get the hang of it. One thing I don’t exactly like is that their is no tray to hold all of the units but, oh well. That’s o.k. The cheaper planes are cool ( I didn’t realize they were cheaper until you said something ND, thanks a lot :D :D!) and the 3 defense tanks and the victory cities are o.k. Overall, pretty cool!

• Aircraft carriers are cheaper too. The bags that you get for the peices are annoying, so I just put them in a ziplock bag so they wouldn’t get lost as easy. So far when I have been playing, we have been using 3 advantages, but one game we are going to use them all. That will be fun.

• Just played my second game and I feel the revised edition is far superior to the original for many reasons.

I like the national advantages, although we have only been playing with two for each country. This has worked out well and keeps things from getting too confusing. It won’t be long before we have all of them memorized and it’s just another part of the game.

I love the tanks defense of 3, the 10 IPC fighter, and the addition of destoryers and artillery. The game feels much more balanced, and the choices for each turns buy are far more versatile than before. It’s only a problem because you spend that much more time planning your purchases… :)

The map is awsome, one of my favorite changes over all. I DO NOT miss the island boxes one bit, anyone else? The Eastern Front is far more dynamic and volatile, with Russia having quite a good starting position, IMHO. The Atlantic and Pacific are both more interesting and with all the extra sea zones, things have slowed down considerably in both areas of conflict. The artwork and new colors round it all off nicely.

The biggest change I notice is the speed of any significant gains, or rather the lack thereof. After playing two games, once as the Allies and once as the Axis, I feel that both games were closer to a draw than a victory for either side. Game one was played for only four hours, and was the “getting our feet wet” game, but it was not completed. Game two was played for nearly six hours, also not completed. In neither game did anyone gain a great advantage over the other. No victory conditions were chosen as far as victory cities are concerned, although several changed hands during the course of both games.

Of course, we made mistakes more than a few times, there was argument over the rules, and we still have a long way to go to get this all figured out. But therein lies the fun and enjoyment… well, that and stomping a mud-hole in your opponents butt!! :evil:

• I am just beginning my fourth game and I am the axis with MuthaRussia. I’m getting the hang of it, and I agree with you about the boxes. Now there is more room for the pieces.

• 2007 AAR League

I do kind of miss the blow up boxes a bit. The initial thing that myself and my brother have set up is allowing each allied country 2 national advantages and each of the axis 3 national advantages. What do you guys think?

• That sounds good and fair to me. :D

• Great game. I like it alot.

I’m also annoyed with the lack of contaners and chips. I guess they figured out how to cut costs :D . I used ziplock bags too.

The chips are what got me though. You barely have enough for the opening setup! I feel bad for anyone without another A&A (I have 2, the older A&A and Europe, so I didn’t have a problem) to mooch chips.

Other then thoes two pet peevs, I love the new game.

• I have the older version as well, but I never thought of combining the pieces. I think they give you a specific amount for a reason. I dont’ think it’s a big deal using the chips, although they are only intended for use with infantry and with tanks. Creating more units except for infantry and tanks using the chips is specifically against the rules.

• How so?

• 2007 AAR League

It may be but I think a lot of people don’t follow it :D.

• Oh. I see what you’re talking about. It doesn’t say you can’t use chips for those peices. It just says that you can’t place new plastic peices if your out. Sort of like a Leader-of-the-Army type of thing. However I think the general consensus on that is to ignore that rule, as it was taken out for the Fourth Edition and the two expantions. I know I don’t play with it. :D

• You can have any amount of units. There is no limit to it, the cheaps just free your plastic chips to use in other territories.

You can have 10 BB if you like, but that is a rare thing for anybody to do…

• Last week, I miraculously managed to get three other guys together and play the revised edition of Axis and Allies. After 4 or 5 turns, the Axis controlled Leningrad, Moscow and Calcutta, and we called it a game. The Allied players weren’t terribly good, however.

Overall, a good time. I like the new changes, particularly the 3/3 tank.

• Yea, me too. It brings the level of importance of tanks to a new high.

• @Erwin:

I have the older version as well, but I never thought of combining the pieces. I think they give you a specific amount for a reason. I dont’ think it’s a big deal using the chips, although they are only intended for use with infantry and with tanks. Creating more units except for infantry and tanks using the chips is specifically against the rules.

Actually, the rules even say you can use a scrap of paper to make a new unit if you run out. I believe it states quite clearly that there are no such restrictions.

• It seems like 9 victory cities is a pretty fair condition. By then, someone’s got Moscow or Berlin and it’s probably about over anyway.

• Yea, 8 victory cities is too easy.

• Overall, I like the new game. Haven’t tried national advantages yet - figured I’d wait until I’ve got a good handle on the rules. I never minded the blowup boxes, but don’t miss them. New map is good (would be better yet if they’d made it bigger like the previous edition) and opens up new tactical possibilities all over.
    A few minor gripes:

• When I shell out 40 bucks for a game, is it too much to expect that they’ll throw in some means of keeping units separated? How much can it cost for a hunk of plastic, like Europe & Pacific came with?
    • Is it just my copy, or are everybody’s British units a washed-out, sickly, painful-to-look-at shade of green?
    • 8 victory cities allows a win when neither side has a decisive advantage (playing to 9, as many of you suggest, should solve this).
    • Most minor of all: several of the “changes” made to improve the game aren’t new (like AA guns firing at any plane passing over - always could) or don’t improve anything (like the territory names; sure, there’s no such place as Finland-Norway; but merging them into one country is no mare accurate).
      Pardon my nit-picking; again, I like the new version, and will probably like it more once I start using the optional rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m