• Assuming the Brits and French can control the Atlantic, what are your buys with the first 3 turns and beyond?

Thinking:

Start with 6 Inf, 2 Art, 1 BB, 1 CA right?

6 Transports (36 IPCs)
    1 Inf (3 IPCs)
    2 Art (8 IPCs)
    2 Fighter (12 IPCs)

Whats the best ratio of Inf to Art?

Then turn 4 (20 IPCs):
    1 Transport (6 IPCs)
    1 Inf (3 IPCs)
    1 Tank (6 IPCs)
    Save 5

Turn 5:
    2 Transport (12 IPCs)
    3 Inf (9 IPCs)
    1 Art (4 IPCs)

Then alternate the turn 4 and turn 5 purchases… maybe buy another plane instead of tank?  Maybe on turn 6 some transports can be reused.

What do you guys think?  What’s the best ‘punch’ with the small 20 IPC economy?

• You have to stage units in Canada so you can shuck units back and forth.

• Well, we don’t know the rules on where the US can move to, but if they can move to Canada before turn 4 then yeah thats a good move.

• I mean after you are at war. You need 6 total transports. 3 in SZ 2, 3 in SZ 8, and just rotate them each turn and puke 4 infantry and 2 artillery into Picardy every turn.

Before you are at war you need 6 transports and 2 artillery and another battleship I guess.

• Would be nice to bring some aircraft to support your ground units.

Maybe a tank or two.

If you want to threaten in the Med or Baltic then you will need more than the 9 transports.  Perhaps landing every turn in France is the best move though.

• The neutral US can move anywhere so long as it does not move air or land units into any Central Powers controlled territories or any CP contested territories; furthermore, nor may it attack any CP sea units, so it may enter sea zones with German sea units.

• Sure sounds neutral to me!

• @Shakespeare:

The neutral US can move anywhere so long as it does not move air or land units into any Central Powers controlled territories or any CP contested territories; furthermore, nor may it attack any CP sea units, so it may enter sea zones with German sea units.

Is this the intention of Larry & co?  Or your interpretation?

• Customizer

Its the way its written in the rule book.

• I really wish larry or Krieghund would speak up on this.

Are US units supposed to represent US supplies being shipped to the Allies?

Can we get an optional rule?

American Isolationism - The United States can not move any of its units until after it has been attacked, Unrestricted Submarine Warfare has been declared or until it’s 4th turn.

• Well, for the first couple turns at least you may not want to send the fledgling US navy out too far in case the Germans decide to attack you before turn 4.  Then again maybe this is a moot point.  Perhaps it will take the US 3 full turns of buildup before it has a sufficient force to matter in Europe.

• Customizer

You know my US rules:

The USA does not get a turn at all until it declares war or is attacked.

When it does go to war, it gets a one-off infantry draft of a maximum 20 units, to be payed for at a rate of 1 IPC per unit. Any money not so used can be saved or spent on other units.

This represents America’s large reserves of untrained manpower, but lack of an arms industry outside navy and small arms.

I might also give America an option to upgrade a number of infantry to mechanical units in Britain or France at unit difference cost.

• Germany merely declaring Unrestricted Submarine Warfare does not bring the US into the war.

The US enters the war only after its units are either

attacked by the Central Powers

or

it loses IPC income to a German submarine attack

or of course Turn 4.

• More complicated than it needs to be.
    Let them buy and build, just not move.

Keep it simple so everyone can use the rule.

• Right, I was saying that it would be unwise to send out 4 loaded US transports to France with German U Boats around-  Would be tempting to hit it on turn 3 as Germany.  The US will have to build up first before it can send much to Europe.

• Well then the isolationism rule only needs changed slightly.
    Major point: keep it simple.
    Forbidding movement is something a 3rd grader can understand. One time draft of cheap one time infantry is more complicated.

Its also more logical, but over complicated.
    Why not just disallow movement and let them build normally.

• @oztea:

More complicated than it needs to be.
    Let them buy and build, just not move.

Keep it simple so everyone can use the rule.

I like this the best.

However, again, I don’t see the US sending much to Europe before turn 4 anyway-  They can build what, 2 Transports a turn in addition to artillery/aircraft/ships needed?  Whoa- two loaded transports in France on turn 3.  With the amount of troops available at the beginning of the game, yeah Germany is just shuddering.  This is assuming that Germany has not contested the Atlantic-  If they attacked all British ships and built a couple more- it will be harder for the US to move to Europe (even if neutral) because they may make a tempting target in their own right.

I’d rather build up for 2-3 turns before sending the American Exp Force to Europe.

They only make 20 IPCs people.  Germany, Austria, England, France, and Russia make more.

• Customizer

Because before going to war America did not prepare for war; it did not expand its military one iota because it had no intention of becoming involved.

My 20 infantry draft is a way of balancing the fact that the game intends for America to spend this fictional defence budget for 3 turns before going to war. But it gets the cheap units as infantry only; otherwise it has to build a modern military from scratch. Historically this is what America did, with the national draft providing the raw manpower.

• Well, Flashman, you certainly can play however you like, but you may want to get a feel for the balance before you make such a sweeping houserule like that.

• No problem. The UK can buy all fleet UK1 to protect the Americans.

US buys 2 transports, art+inf (save 1)
    Next turn everything to Canada and SZ 2, buy 3 transports
    Third turn land at Picardy with UK boats in SZ8, buy 4 inf, 2 art for the rest of the game.

Transports in 8 move to 2, vice versa every turn.
    A funnel of 4 inf, 2 art every turn.

3 loaded transports every turn, starting on turn 3.
    As long as the UK has enough boats in SZ8 to protect you.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m