• Anyone seen an attack on the “True Neutrals” work?  I’ve been experimenting on my own with an Axis take on G2, but it doesn’t seem to gain me much.

It allows Germany to take Gibraltar G3 and helps Italy secure the Med a bit.  Germany has to take Sweden to keep its NO, and if G doesn’t take Turkey then Russia or France will get 8 free Inf.

Then again, it allows Britain to get 4 free Inf in Subsaharan Africa, 4 free Inf in Afghanistan, and 2 free inf in Saudi Arabia.

In addition, the Brits or US can get free money in South America and the Russians (when at war) get 6 free inf in mongolia.

Now the US (once at war) can directly place units in Spain in one turn.

• Wow 20 views and no responses.  Come on guys…

• '12

I wasn’t going to point this out since it makes me look bad, but you can view one of the cases where it works out well here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30039.0

Normally I would call this plan a terrible idea for the Axis, for all the reasons you mentioned already.  I decided to throw in the towel in this game for these reasons:

• There are no UK ICs in the Middle East, so the Allies have no way to keep up with the Axis ability to flood units into the area.  Notice there is already a German IC in Greece.  I would not have been surprised to see a German IC in Turkey the following turn.  Germany has its choice of sweeping into the Caucasus early or taking the Middle East, either way, they get early access to extra money from the additional territories and the NOs.

• Germany already has 60+ income without even taking any Russian territory!  It will be even more once they force Russia out of Leningrad and get even more NO money.

• Germany has taken no significant naval losses.  I would not be surprised to see an Air Base pop up in Spain or Gibraltar to cover the German fleet that can sit there and guard Gibraltar.  If the Germans want to plunk down some extra money on planes and another Air Base, you can cover the German fleet with 6 planes + the two on the existing German Carrier.  Impossible for the Allies to crack this without significant spending on navy for several turns.  In the meantime, Germany and Italy get to be untouchable on land.  UK is also forced to split its spending between cracking the German fleet and trying to save the Mideast.  And as always Germany could also decide to buy a few more TTs to force more Allied spending on covering London.

• Both the USA and Russia are still out of the war and have no ability to attack turn 3.  This gives Germany and Italy one more round to consolidate their holdings before the USA can even do anything.  Again, the Allies are going to be forced to waste several rounds on naval buys before even thinking about getting near Spain or Gibraltar.  More than enough time for Germany and Japan to break Russia.

I won’t make any kind of claim that this situation is completely unwinnable by the Allies, but I felt it was unwinnable by me.  I point it out as a perfect set of circumstances in which the Axis can benefit from the attacks on the neutrals.

• So a British IC in Persia or Iraq is recommended if someone does this?  I’ve never really liked an Egypt IC.

Just reading your game it looked like the dice went poorly for you.  I wouldn’t say it made you look bad.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

A neutral crush seems more worthwhile to the Axis: since the Allies begin the game in such a defensive position they’d have to wait to execute it and by that point they may as well be engaging the Axis directly. The Axis have the time to coordinate a sweep that can provide valuable shortcuts to both Gibraltar and Egypt (or even India) in the forms of Spain & Turkey.

• '12

@BJCard:

So a British IC in Persia or Iraq is recommended if someone does this?  I’ve never really liked an Egypt IC.

For me, I would have needed at least two ICs in the Egypt-Persia belt.  But you pretty much need them before the Axis show up in Turkey, otherwise you won’t have enough units to hold the area.

It seems vital for the UK to have an Egypt IC down by at least UK2, preferably UK1, but this opens you up to the potential of a Sea Lion.  It’s a very catch-22 situation for the UK which I discussed at length in this other thread:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29771.0

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m