November 19, 2017, 11:38:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Want a t-shirt? Check out our awesome Axis & Allies .org T-Shirt Store! Search me
  Articles  
   Home   Help Login Register AACalc  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Germany playbook: overall strategy guide  (Read 32738 times)
pokemaniac
A&A.org Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2014, 01:42:01 pm »

International law

I'm not as experienced as some other players on here, but at first glance you are toast. By my count, Russia collected 70+ IPCs last turn and you aren't really in a position to push them back, especially with the US threat to your west. Meanwhile, Germany is collecting somewhere around 45 IPCs and Italy is somewhere between 10 and 15. Russia also seems to have a stronger force on the border. USA will liberate London in a few turns because you will have to spend almost everything to protect the homeland from an angry bear. Once the UK is operating, if Russia is still in German territories, the Axis have lost in Europe and the US can go full pacific.

Basically, if Japan isn't ready to get a VC win in the next few turns, just throw in the towel.
Cow
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

MOO

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2014, 03:04:25 pm »

buy strait inf and arty from here on out. Losing london is fine as long as you are able to push back the Russians.

You will be fine. As long as your Japan is doing well.
internationalaw
A&A.org Mechanized Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2014, 08:56:34 am »

That's good to hear, and that is what I purchased last turn as well (Inf & Art). Should I try to hold Paris?

One thing I did notice is that Russia is not replenishing their infantry which can end up hurting their progress.

Italy is always hard for me to figure out, not sure which direction to go. I think I'm going to either help in saving Paris or move some men in GSG.

Last but not least, I think I'm going to get some Japanese forces into the M.E. next turn and possibly even a IC.

Can you put an IC on newly captured territory?
ItIsILeClerc
A&A.org Submarine

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2014, 12:20:46 pm »

In general:
If Germany goes Sea Lion but will be kicked out again while Russia hits 50+ income for a while and Japan is in no shape to get a 6VC win, the Axis should indeed wave the white flag.

Italy can be some sort of wildcard.
If Italy is able to capture the ME and Africa the game may be interesting enough to play out.

That's good to hear, and that is what I purchased last turn as well (Inf & Art). Should I try to hold Paris?

One thing I did notice is that Russia is not replenishing their infantry which can end up hurting their progress.

Italy is always hard for me to figure out, not sure which direction to go. I think I'm going to either help in saving Paris or move some men in GSG.

Last but not least, I think I'm going to get some Japanese forces into the M.E. next turn and possibly even a IC.

Can you put an IC on newly captured territory?
On newly captured territories worth >1IPC, you can put a minor IC (never major), just not in the same turn you captured such territory (you can only build an IC in an area that you cotrolled from start of the turn).

If Russia has stopped replenishing their INF it is still bad news for Germany if they produce (lots of) ARM and MECH. It could be good news for Germany if Russia builds too much aircraft which are bad for pure defensive or offensive purposes. For example, if Germany produces 5INF + 5ART and Russia 3FTR every turn, Germany will be able to push the frontlines eastwards. Unless Russia already has too much of an arms advantage.

With Italy, think offensively early in the game, but definately defensively later on. Consider counterattacks on allied beachheads as a defensive measure also. If Italy goes on the offensive for too long, Rome usually become too easy a target (as offensives for Italy usually means building much less -but more expensive- units).
Cow
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

MOO

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2014, 02:47:42 pm »

Oh yeah if you bomb gibraltar with italy or germany he can never repair it. So he cannot threaten very many places.
ShadowHAwk
A&A.org Battleship

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2014, 11:55:33 pm »

Wondering why dont you kill the 3 inf in vryburg with germany round 1 as well COW?
you could attack with 2 bombs 2 inf ( transport ). you need to kill the russian navy for it but you want those out of the way anyway.
Takes away 3 inf from russia making it 10 that is half of his inf.
Cow
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

MOO

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2014, 12:30:45 am »

Dedicates too many air units. I like to have stuff to smooth over the other attacks.
Cow
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

MOO

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2014, 12:33:17 am »

I like young grasshopper's a bit better. I do it with the air units a bit different.
variance
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

Gargantua's team

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2014, 02:10:26 pm »

Cow, any advice on the idea that Germany should build NOTHING on G1 to be mysterious?
catfishblues
A&A.org Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2014, 09:39:23 pm »

Does anyone still use a G1 Russian invasion?  I was looking through the play forum and was hardpressed to find a game.  Has this fallen out of favour?

Shin Ji
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2014, 05:04:27 am »

I don't think it was ever in favor for competitive games.  I'm not even any good (high Tier 3, low Tier 2), and I have stomped everyone that has tried a g1 Russia attack.

Now J1, on the other hand, is actually an excellent strategy, if you know what you're doing.  But despite having read through this thread, I can't see any good reason to attack RUssia on G1 except for keeping the Allies from being bored in a FtF game.
variance
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

Gargantua's team

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2014, 06:56:29 am »
+2

Shin Ji is right (except that part about him not being a good player  wink).  G1 attacks sort of work in that you can certainly make a mad rush at Moscow and probably get it but you will never get Cairo/London if you do that.  It's just too flimsy.  For a while I was trying it along with some dinky "give up the pacific" strategies but those all proved to be just dumb. 
Young Grasshopper
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

The Cliffside Bunker

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2014, 03:24:17 pm »

I only do my G1 attack on Russia if I want to ensure a fun and interesting group game.
Cmdr Jennifer
Site Moderator
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

League and Tournament Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2016, 11:42:05 am »

Request to sticky topic - topic stickied.
Noll
A&A.org Battleship

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2016, 01:21:50 am »

Hey there guys, long time!

Question: did anyone experiment with a South Africa strategy for Germany? It makes any sense?

I'm really curious about it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

2017 Support Drive

Read about this support drive.
Support Level
Forum Username
Note: payee will appear as Livid Labs, LLC.
Buy Axis & Allies
  • Axis & Allies 1942 [Amazon]
  • A&A Pacific 1940 [Amazon]
  • A&A Europe 1940 [FMG]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • A&A D-Day [Amazon]
  • A&A Battle of the Bulge [Amazon]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • WWII Themed Combat Dice [FMG]

Axis and Allies.org Official Gold Sponsor: Historical Board Gaming