• Do you guys like the flags that they have for this games control markers or would you prefer the roundels like those used in the WWII A&A games?

Personally I like the flags, I think they bring more color and vibe to the game, making it more eye catching for those passing by or attention getting for those of us who have A&A groups who

don’t necessarily have the greatest attention span.

• Customizer

They’re more distinctive. All five allied powers used a 3 ring roundel.

However I fail to see why they’ve used the Russian coat of arms rather than the flag; another of those annoying inconsistencies that can seem so unprofessional.

• '16

@Flashman:

They’re more distinctive. All five allied powers used a 3 ring roundel.

However I fail to see why they’ve used the Russian coat of arms rather than the flag; another of those annoying inconsistencies that can seem so unprofessional.

Might be because it would look too similar to the French flag?

• US only had an roundel in 1918
    UK only had a roundel 1918
    AH never used a roundel
    Italy used a roundel first in 1922

In a pre-airforce world, Flags make sense

• Roundels are useless. Their is nothing official about which roundel should be used, they are only markers of who owns the space. Flags are preferred anyway since nobody in the war indicated an air force roundel unless they flew a plane :roll:

• TripleA '12

Okay, so it looks as though there’s an opportunity for someone to produce some control markers with the proper flags on them. Cool.

• Customizer

They had them much earlier, though they still present difficulties in that Germany & Austria both used the iron cross design, while the Allied roundels are the same design in different colours.

Flags are OK, but why not use the national flag for each country, the game has a mixture of national flags, war flags and royal coats of arms. Be consistent.

@Croesus:

US only had an roundel in 1918
    UK only had a roundel 1918
    AH never used a roundel
    Italy used a roundel first in 1922

In a pre-airforce world, Flags make sense

• Customizer

@Flashman:

Flags are OK, but why not use the national flag for each country, the game has a mixture of national flags, war flags and royal coats of arms. Be consistent.

The only one that’s off is the the German flag, and I see why they did what they did; the Iron Cross is striking and adds flavor.

The Austro-Hungarian flag is technically a “War Ensign,” but that doesn’t bother me too much.

The Russian flag is consistent with history, according to my research. There was another flag that combined the Double Headed Eagle on Gold with the Russian tri-color, but it wasn’t widely used as the Imperial Standard.

http://www.loeser.us/flags/wwi.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_flags

• Customizer

The eagle flag is the Imperial standard, technically it should only be used when the Tzar is present. Equivalent flags existed for the other Sovereigns, but have not been used. The Russian state flag was the tricolour version.

• The eagle flag is the Imperial standard, technically it should only be used when the Axis and Allies is present.

Right, they are only indicators of control for a GAME. They could be ducks, cows, or anything. So what should and should not be isnt relevant.

• What they should be is CONSISTENT. Thats all that matters.

• No not really. They can be anything Larry wants. Consistent would be not making tanks 3 times the size of a plane.

If it conveys the feel of the game, whatever emblem or flag/roundel could work since nobody drapped a 20 mile long roundel to mark control over a territory.

• Customizer

Lets have the roundels back then, troll boy.

@Imperious:

The eagle flag is the Imperial standard, technically it should only be used when the Axis and Allies is present.

Right, they are only indicators of control for a GAME. They could be ducks, cows, or anything. So what should and should not be isnt relevant.

• But im not in the air force…or am i?

• Customizer

Let’s face it, the roundels were originally used as a convenient way to avoid using a Nazi flag for Germany’s control marker. It doesn’t really make sense when you stop and think about it (National flags or “war flags” make much more sense), but either way it’s become a hallmark of the game.

• Exactly. Just like how they changed the Japanese from mustard to red or burnt orange.

• To be fair the Russians had just as hard of a time staying consistent with their choice of flags as larry seems to. They had the Royal ensign, the royal tri-color, the national tri-color, a mix of the national tri-color and the royal crest. So really he could have choosen a number of things.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m