• Customizer

So…I guess besides infantry, all the sculpts are the same…anyone a little disappointed?  :-(

Buy hey, look on the bright side, if we follow the current trend, A&A 1914 Revised (with custom sculpts for each nation) will come out in…

2033!!!  :-o

• I am very disappointed but on the bright side I won’t get confused as easy, because in Global 1940 with each country having their own sculpt it took me forever to tell the difference between cruisers and destroyers

• Yeah, everyone always wants more sculpts and it’s a little disappointing, but I think what we get is cool. Someone will make some new sculpts you can buy on side I’m sure.

• Customizer

Like the tanks, but the artillery and planes look very small and fiddly.

I can maybe use artillery from Attack!, but I know of no source for alternative aircraft pieces of a suitable scale & appearance.

Apart from some of the other new games coming out…

• Planes are far to tiny and I am a little sad that each alliance doesn’t get their own equipment, but then again I shall of course wait final judgment until we get an official copy of the board.

• Customizer

@Flashman:

Like the tanks, but the artillery and planes look very small and fiddly.

I can maybe use artillery from Attack!, but I know of no source for alternative aircraft pieces of a suitable scale & appearance.

Apart from some of the other new games coming out…

About what scale should the planes be?

• larger than my pinky nail.

• For cruisers and DD’s (at least in first edition) the cruisers were, with the exception of France and Russia (who matter the least) had a curvier back while the DD’s were flat. (Insert joke about what you look for in a mate here)

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

For cruisers and DD’s (at least in first edition) the cruisers were, with the exception of France and Russia (who matter the least) had a curvier back while the DD’s were flat. (Insert joke about what you look for in a mate here)

What exactly are you talking about?

• what ugly sculpts…the massive “cylinder” instead of separate canon wheels, the plastic curtain between the fighter wings and the size of the tank (extremely wide)…I,ll rethink my strategy and buy 5 copies only…

• Customizer

Umm, now I look at my Corgi M4 these tanks are rather wide. But I can live with that.

Biplanes are difficult to model in a single piece, but these are a pretty poor effort.

Might even think about using Risk artillery.

Not too bothered about the ships; a ship is a ship to me.

• @DarthShizNit:

@vonLettowVorbeck1914:

For cruisers and DD’s (at least in first edition) the cruisers were, with the exception of France and Russia (who matter the least) had a curvier back while the DD’s were flat. (Insert joke about what you look for in a mate here)

What exactly are you talking about?

I was responding to strout not being able to tell the difference between cruisers and DD’s.

• If I read Larry’s original announcement thread correctly, the allies have one set of sculpts and the central powers another.  The only unique sculpts are the infantry.  I wonder what models they will use for each respective power?

• @DWoodchuck:

If I read Larry’s original announcement thread correctly, the allies have one set of sculpts and the central powers another.  The only unique sculpts are the infantry.  I wonder what models they will use for each respective power?

We all read that too. Unfortunately, from the 3D map rendering in David Jansen’s article on the homepage, it looks like only the infantry sculpts are unique. Since this is only a 3D rendering and not the actual board and pieces there remains a little sliver of hope, but most of us are reconciled to only the infantry sculpts being unique.

• @wove100:

Unfortunately, from the 3D map rendering in David Jansen’s article on the homepage, it looks like only the infantry sculpts are unique. Since this is only a 3D rendering and not the actual board and pieces there remains a little sliver of hope, but most of us are reconciled to only the infantry sculpts being unique.

I sure hope that there’s more sculpt variety too, and I agree that there’s still some hope that this will be the case.  The WotC sales flyer…

http://www.wizards.com/ContentResources/Wizards/Sales/Solicitations/2012_12_19_AA1914_Solicitation_en_US.pdf

…says “22 all-new unit sculpts are included”.  The individual infantry sculpts for Germany, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Ottoman Empire, France, the British Empire, the Russian Empire, Italy and the United States account for 8 of those sculpts, leaving 14 sculpts for the equipment.

This post from Larry…

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10635&start=8

…lists the following equipment pieces (in addition to the infantry units): artillery, tanks, fighters, submarines, battleships, cruisers, transports.  That adds up to 7 equipment categories.  Since 2 x 7 = 14, and since (as noted above) 22 - 8 = 14, we could reasonably expect that the Central Powers and the Allied Powers each have a distinctive set of 7 equipment sculpts, if we go by the info in the sales flyer.  The 3D picture which Djensen posted seems to suggest otherwise, however.  So it would appear that either the sales flyer is misleading or that the 3D picture is misleading.  I guess we’ll know more when Djensen gets his actual preview copy of the game.

• Customizer

@CWO:

@wove100:

Unfortunately, from the 3D map rendering in David Jansen’s article on the homepage, it looks like only the infantry sculpts are unique. Since this is only a 3D rendering and not the actual board and pieces there remains a little sliver of hope, but most of us are reconciled to only the infantry sculpts being unique.

I sure hope that there’s more sculpt variety too, and I agree that there’s still some hope that this will be the case.  The WotC sales flyer…

http://www.wizards.com/ContentResources/Wizards/Sales/Solicitations/2012_12_19_AA1914_Solicitation_en_US.pdf

…says “22 all-new unit sculpts are included”.  The individual infantry sculpts for Germany, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Ottoman Empire, France, the British Empire, the Russian Empire, Italy and the United States account for 8 of those sculpts, leaving 14 sculpts for the equipment.

This post from Larry…

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10635&start=8

…lists the following equipment pieces (in addition to the infantry units): artillery, tanks, fighters, submarines, battleships, cruisers, transports.  That adds up to 7 equipment categories.  Since 2 x 7 = 14, and since (as noted above) 22 - 8 = 14, we could reasonably expect that the Central Powers and the Allied Powers each have a distinctive set of 7 equipment sculpts, if we go by the info in the sales flyer.  The 3D picture which Djensen posted seems to suggest otherwise, however.  So it would appear that either the sales flyer is misleading or that the 3D picture is misleading.  I guess we’ll know more when Djensen gets his actual preview copy of the game.

Well, the sliver has grown to a ray…thanks for doing the math CWO Marc! :-D

• Customizer

The planes and artillery are so small they could be any model. The tanks are OK for everyone, as the Germans used more of these than their own version. Not bothered about the ships, so this really isn’t too much of an issue to me.

To a large extent equipment was interchangeable within each alliance; all the Allies used French planes, the US used French tanks and artillery, Russia imported American rifles.

If HBG decide there’s a market for additional units (I’d be one), then my main wishlist would be for:

A decent sized fighter plane. Different models for each side would be a bonus.

Ditto the artillery.

Bombers. By choice Gothas for the CP, Hanley-Page for the Allies.

Cavalry. Not convinced these were as obsolete as many assume. Not much use on the western front but could be important elsewhere.

Destroyers. Mainly thinking about mine laying/sweeping role.

After that it a matter of chrome;

Extra infantry types:

A basic type for each empire, the reverse of the official ones in regard to late/early war kit. That is, if the game comes with early war “pickelhaub” Germans, the additions need to be late war “stahlhelm” infantry. This distinction can be use to differentiate between raw and veteran troops, regulars and elite/stromtroopers, or the steel helmet version can be a tech upgrade.

Colonial troops:

Generic Askaris (in black). Will serve in any army.

UK: ANZACS, Indians, Arabs, South Africans?, Canadians?
    F: Portuguese (UK sculpt in blue), Belgians
    T: Bulgarians
    R: Romanians, Serbs
    G: Mexicans
    A: Slav units?
    I: Albanians?

Generic neutral units for house rules (Dutch/Greeks in white?)

Generic Revolutionaries (early Russians in red).

Reconnaissance planes.

Heavy artillery (howitzers).

3 extra types of fighter per side to represent tech upgrades.

Armoured trains with frickin’ lazer beams on the front.

• Customizer

I really would just like to see Renault FT’s. The Mark V was the “first,” but the FT was the first true modern tank; they were used by all the Allies, and were even still around at the beginning of WWII.

• Customizer

@ossel:

I really would just like to see Renault FT’s. The Mark V was the “first,” but the FT was the first true modern tank; they were used by all the Allies, and were even still around at the beginning of WWII.

FYI, just found out HBG is designing a French early war set that will have Renault FT’s….definitely getting some for my French and American armies.
    http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-Battle-Pieces-WW2-France-Early-War_p_690.html

• Customizer

What colour is “plum” exactly? I’ve eaten plums in lots of colours.

Won’t the French blue to too light for 1914 units?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m