• Can this be a good idea? I’m thinking that eliminating some smaller Russian stacks before they consolidate into large ones is a good move, as well as stealing some income early-game.

• It is an extremely viable strategy, I am a personal fan of this move. There is a lot of discussion on the forum about how to do it, just search.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

G1 J4.  Do it.

• I’m not sure there’s a better plan than G1 AND J1…

• Sponsor

A G1 attack on Russia done right, and with better than poor dice rolls… is very bad for the allies.

• I guess i am in the minority here.  I like turn three barborossa.  I ball up a large stack and go straight for Moscow by turn 6.

• Sponsor

@Pherman1215:

I guess i am in the minority here.  I like turn three barborossa.  I ball up a large stack and go straight for Moscow by turn 6.

Wow, someone against a G1 Barborossa in the minority? has the day finally come?

• Not sure why you would wait to Attack Russia… If I’m allies I love to have a 2 or 3 turn head start.  Allows me to buy loads of troops and position them the way I want to.  A G1 gives Russia none of that.

• In a current game I’m playing the German player straifed the three border territories of Russia, but did not advance.  It allowed me to take Finland and NW Persia 1st turn with taking Norway/Iraq 2nd turn.  At the end of the 2nd turn I made 50 IPCs while Germany made 48…  So in some sense being able to take out Axis Neutrals early helped Russia-  we will see how it goes as the turns go on.

• Sponsor

@BJCard:

In a current game I’m playing the German player straifed the three border territories of Russia, but did not advance.  It allowed me to take Finland and NW Persia 1st turn with taking Norway/Iraq 2nd turn.  At the end of the 2nd turn I made 50 IPCs while Germany made 48…  So in some sense being able to take out Axis Neutrals early helped Russia-  we will see how it goes as the turns go on.

The problem with the German strategy isn’t that they attacked G1, but rather they failed to vacuum the Russian units toward them by leaving the tank bait on the front. The idea of strafing in order to take out 7 infantry, while saving the tanks is diluting the purpose of a G1… which is to force the Russians to do the right thing and kill German tanks, which sets up an attack to take out even more Russian Infantry close to home without chasing them across 4 territories. After that, if the Russians want to go to the middle east, or try and take Finland… thats OK. However, when the Germans strafe, there is no reason for the Russians to move forward, which buys Russia the time that a G1 attack was meant to take away from them in the first place.

• Agreed YG

• I would much rather have Japan attack Russia on turn 1 from the back side and start taking away IPC’s.  Germany go in turn 4 after they build up enough fodder to go in.  By that time Japan is on the back door of Moscow at the same time Germany is at the front door.

You can build up enough troops and tanks to threaten sealion on turn 4 as well.  If USA fortifies UK, take those troops north to Archangel.  Russia now dealing with 3 legitimate fronts.

• Sponsor

@docfav7:

I would much rather have Japan attack Russia on turn 1 from the back side and start taking away IPC’s.  Germany go in turn 4 after they build up enough fodder to go in.  By that time Japan is on the back door of Moscow at the same time Germany is at the front door.

You can build up enough troops and tanks to threaten sealion on turn 4 as well.  If USA fortifies UK, take those troops north to Archangel.  Russia now dealing with 3 legitimate fronts.

Attacking Russia is the least rewarding opperation of all the available options that Japan can send resources toward (IMO). If I’m Japan, I’m placing 5 infantry and a fighter in both Mantchuria and Korea which will only attack Russia if it is open and capable without extra forces.

• Attacking Russia as Japan always seemed to me as an operation that looked sweeter then it tasted.  I struggled for a long time to find a useful application of the Japan attacking Russia operation but in most cases I couldn’t see a possibility where the resources dedicated to it was the best possible outcome for the situation.

I certainly think there are options I didn’t think of, but if Germany needs the assistance from Japan to pressure Russia into submission I think there is a good sign that Japan could be dominating in the Pacific.  This is a discussion thread all on it’s own so I won’t continue…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m