• I had been thinking about Russian tactics as I think I have drawn the Ruski’s in our next global game.

I was trying to find a tactic on the forum here that had evaluated the pros and cons of upgrading either of Russia’s Minor IC’s to Major.

Has anyone tried this?  I don’t know if it is worth it but would like to see what pro’s and con’s people come up with.  I am keen to try a bunch of tricks on my tenure with Russia as the player behind the 3rd Reich has only played once before and should give me more opportunities then normal :)  This tactic would have to be considered post G1, and I think given the opportunity it could slow down the German advance by a turn or two.

So far my list of pros and cons:

Pro:

• Ability to pump more cheap & slow units (inf/art) out closer to german lines with the hope of slowing their advance
    • Germany cannot utilise the major IC (if captured)
    • SBRs against said IC will take longer to nuetralise its usefulness

Con:

• Costs 20 ipc (that could be 2 fighters or 4inf 2art or … etc!)
    • If it is lost that 20ipc becomes as good as the monetary value of Fiji

As a side note, I am up to hear any experimental or risky Russian tactics (not too risky though) that can sometimes pay off if the Germans are a new player.

• None of Russia’s starting territory has a high enough IPC value to allow factories to be upgraded to a major IC.

All of their minor ICs are built on territories with an IPC value of 2.

The relevant text from pg. 27 of the manual: “The industrial complex to be upgraded must be located on an originally controlled (not captured) territory that you have controlled since the beginning of your turn and that has an IPC value of 3 or higher.”

• @manstein39:

None of Russia’s starting territory has a high enough IPC value to allow factories to be upgraded to a major IC.

All of their minor ICs are built on territories with an IPC value of 2.

The relevant text from pg. 27 of the manual: “The industrial complex to be upgraded must be located on an originally controlled (not captured) territory that you have controlled since the beginning of your turn and that has an IPC value of 3 or higher.”

Uh oh.  I think I made a mistake on the board I am painting…

• Damn… looks like I have to start over again on painting Europe, I have three territories as 3 when they are only 2.

Well I guess that is a conclusive answer to that tactic :)

• Sponsor

As someone who also likes to customize their own gaming tools, I feel your pain. However, it’s only a small mistake that you will bounce back from, don’t give up your dream, just start over and you will make it right.

• @Young:

As someone who also likes to customize their own gaming tools, I feel your pain. However, it’s only a small mistake that you will bounce back from, don’t give up your dream, just start over and you will make it right.

Yeah no big deal really.  Probably more of an upset as it puts a kaibosh to my Russian IC upgrade tactic I had been thinking about all morning.  Makes sense why I couldn’t find any topic on it!

Time to find some other crazy Russian scheme…

• '16 '15 '10

My skepticism of IC buys goes back to Revised.  It seems that the goals people think they can accomplish by buying ICs can often be better accomplished by using the ICs you already have.

If you aren’t buying the IC to maximize efficient production (as Japan needs to), then they need to deliver a strategic benefit that justify their cost.

Certainly Japan can profit from at least 1 IC.  Probably 2, maybe 3.

UK…idk.  They’ve got plenty of ICs.  Egy/Persia/Iraq ICs can be useful in the right circumstances.  But I wouldn’t be dogmatic about building them every game, considering the liability of them possibly falling into Axis hands.

USA…well if they control Norway/Finland then it makes sense to build there.

Other then those I have a hard time justifying them.  I suppose there is a case for a German IC in Romania, but I’m not convinced.

• TripleA

MECH TO YUNNAN. DO IT.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Russian Baltic navy is psuedo viable, depending on circumstances.

Or an enhanced Red Airforce - target? Italian Med.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m