• I staged a J5 Calcutta, off of a J4 DoW. I had the entire Japanese Navy sitting off of the coast with 4 guys on transports. I had the entire starting Japanese air force sitting in Yunan. (a ballsy move on his part wiped out all of my ground forces in burma).

He had 25 infantry 4 figs, and 3AAs in calcutta.

I had a 25% chance of taking calcutta with those numbers.

I chickened out because i had been winning some insanely lopsided battles in his favour all game, and didnt think my good luck would continue, and instead took the navy to persia (which had a minor British IC) and took it. I backtracked with the planes, instead going after the russian stack that made its way to Jehol.

What I want to ask is: If you have committed 4 Japanese turns for the sole objective of taking India, is it better to live and die by that plan, or can you/have you abandoned it before with success?

• '12

Generally speaking, most plans fail not because they were bad, but because you allow things to turn you from them.  This is usually how you defeat your opponent, by getting them to abandon their own strategy in favor of reacting to yours.

Unless that 25% attack was going to win you the game on the Pacific board that round, it sounds like you did the right thing by calling it off and sacking Persia.  We don’t have the whole map in front of us to see what else is going on, but possibly it was a mistake to send your air force north if you could have ignored the Russians for a further turn or two.  Sack Persia and plan for a J6/J7 Calcutta.

• I don’t know the full details, but for me it would have been about how many planes I would have lost. If I was only sending 4 in, I probably would have done it, but if odds were 25% with most of your airforce, then it would seem too risky.

In my opinion, if your goal is a quick grab of india, you want to declare war much ealier than turn 4. You can cut down heavily the amount of money UK is making, which of course reduced the number of inf they can build.

• I personally never go for the throat in games. I methodically isolate pockets of resistance by bringing overwhelming force. Force them back to their Alamo, and raid and bomb them into irrelevance.

• Japan is the most flexible power, you can easily shift gears, build minors on Malaya and French Indo China and Hong Kong and a naval base in Hainan and airbase on Kwangsi, and hold the 4 money islands while you build up ground troops.

In the meantime kill off China and convoy all India’s money away with 2 subs. You can even strat bomb them but your bombers are usually needed for China.

Or work your way out to the Philippines/Carolines with the fleet and kill Queensland.

Japan can go a lot of ways. No need to throw away the Pacific on a 25% chance.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m