• Finally registered here after reading many of your post so wanted to ask some questions

One of which is how long do you guys find this game takes to play.
    Maybe we’re just slow but on average we play for about 12 hours and make it to the end of turn 3.  Which is why we tend to call it for one side or the other then.  Are we just slow asses?
    Turn one can take 4-5 hours.

• Wow.

My last game lasted 12 hours, but a friend of mine is one of those  ‘thinks too much’ guy, he calculates probabilities before attacking for example, pissing everyone off. Out of those 12 hours, 1 and half was spent setting the board up. So, about 10 hours of gaming, that lasted 9 turns IIRC.

12 hours for 3 turns is really weird. USA and URSS didnt  even joined the war by then! What do you guys do in the first turn, do you and your friends argue about diplomacy, trying to find a peaceful solution to the conflict? :p

• I think we get off topic quite a bit talking about the really WW2, and stopping for “shots” breaks between turns.
    So its us, I’ll see if we can’t keep ourselves on topic and moving foward next time.

• I find that 1v1 games go a little faster, but 2v2 games feel a lot more fun.

If you are finding the current 1940 setup is holding you back because you only get to turn 3 in a 12 hour span, consider my 1941 setup.
    France has already fallen, the US has built up, Japan is set to pounce in the Pacific, and much more.

It could cut 6 hours and 3 turns off the front end for your gaming group and get you straight to the action!

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=28711.0

• 12 hours for 3 turns is about what my group clocks in at. maybe a little faster somtimes but thats about it really. My group flexes in size from 4 to 6 players so that may be an affecting factor. :mrgreen:

• I think our first turn averages about 1 1/2 hours with 4 players now. One team will often leave the room during the game as the other team talks it over (for a few mins, can time it). This also gives the other side a chance to mull things over and talk strats. You will find that the first turn speeds up with the more games you play, and if your hosting the game be sure to have it set-up beforehand. It also helps if at least one person pushes things along.

We typically will have the next player(s) start purchases and have an idea of what they want to do. You can also have Russia make its Siberian moves as Germany is taking its turn (they generally just fall back). This will allow Japan to start their turn at about the same time, as long as the Axis have an idea of what they want to do. If you give the axis players 5 min alone at the start of Germany’s turn to discuss early strats (Sea lion, or J1 attack etc…) it could help the pace. You should be there when they start moving units (especially air) just to check range etc…

It’s when your turn rolls around, and you have no idea what you (or your teammate) wants to do that keeps things at a snail pace, and believe me we’ve all been there.

• TripleA

talk and play… multi task!

• my groups typically use about 20-25 hours for a game , I think.

we have a solution where the game is on cardboard, and we can store it in an archive drawer, without packing/unpacking each time.

we typically use 3-4 6 hours sessions, we calculate most things, and to speed it up, the inactive side can be in charge of plotting numbers into a battlesim. The longest moves are usually italy, and USA/UK. italy takes the longest because we at this point plan the entire italy/GER/jap turn, gotta figure out if italy will canopen or not, and where it can put its fleet.

US/UK takes long time because it is the first ones to combatmove after the main axis have moved. caluculating fleetbattles takes long.

• we’ve maybe played 3 global games. Game will last 6-8 hrs tops before someone concedes or just draw. Its honestly a bit too large to handle. I remember combining original AAE and AAP was more fun and quicker too than this one

• '10

Our group generally plays on Saturdays, scheduling from 9 a.m. to midnight.  We don’t really finish, but we usually get close enough it’s no longer in doubt.

• '14

I’ve noticed the the less people you have the longer it takes. Of course we play the 39 Global game. We had 5 playing, started at 9 and ended at 10, and made it to round 12. We try to set time limits during buying phase and combat move phase. Also have one guy who runs the show/ arbitrator!  This helps a lot.

• @Tigerman77:

I’ve noticed the the less people you have the longer it takes. Of course we play the 39 Global game. We had 5 playing, started at 9 and ended at 10, and made it to round 12. We try to set time limits during buying phase and combat move phase. Also have one guy who runs the show/ arbitrator!  This helps a lot.

I assume that would be 9 AM and 10 PM for a 13 hour, 12 rounder. Averaging an hour a round is a good clip for G40 (or GW39), after the first turn IMO.

• '12

I run an Axis and Allies gaming group and we have played numerous games of 1940 Global.  In a 10 hour, one day gaming session my group will generally play to about turn 5 or 6.

I really enjoy playing 1940 Global; however, it is a very long game.  I would categorize it as more of an “all weekend” game, rather than a “one sitting” game.  If played well, I think that 1940 REALLY gets interesting around turns 7-9… with this in mind, I think that Global is best played over multiple days or online via Triple A.

• When I play it only takes 4-7 hours before you can tell who is going to win but I am way better than the people I play against and I hurry things up.

• 5 to 6 hours.

• We specifically ban battle calculators at the table. One, I feel it goes against the spirit of the game to sit there and plot out the computer simulations. Two, it adds a ton of time while people sit there and try to plot out the “optimal” attack running sim after sim until they get what they feel is the “perfect” outcome.

Either learn a little A&A napkin math probability or know some general probability (like what the difference between 3 and 4 planes is when you have 6-10 infantry, etc).

If you want to speed up G1, put a minor factory on France to start the game and set up all of France’s units on the battle board to start the game.

• We give a 10% IPC bonus if your Purchase New Units and Declare combat moves happen in under 5 minutes.

• We play just about every Saturday.  Average game lasts roughly 10 hours.  We’re usually in turn 9-13 by the end, depending on who showed up.

Opening turn & turn 3-Japan are usually our longest turns.

I’d say 1 hour per turn, usually 5-10 minutes to a round.

If you want to speed up G1, put a minor factory on France to start the game and set up all of France’s units on the battle board to start the game.

We have started doing this since France is a first round hit anyway.

• @pete6982:

We give a 10% IPC bonus if your Purchase New Units and Declare combat moves happen in under 5 minutes.

feels like china, russia and anzak gets alot of extra income.

how about this; 10%  extra income for each power on each side if they use less than 45 minutes (allies), 30 minutes (axis) on all purchases, combat and noncombat moves in a full gameturn.

my fingers are so clumsy that I would never get this 10% bonus with  UK/ger/japan/uk. even if I had the entire move planned.

• '17 '16 Customizer

It’s been about 1 year since I played, but 1 hour a round is about what I averaged. 12 hour game at a minimum.
    Regarding any electronic game battle & odds simulator -anybody shows up at my game w/ one they don’t play or leave it in your car. I think that’s just taking it too far. It’s a board game for pete’s sake. It requires HUMAN skill and intellegence. Not electronic gadgets. JMHO.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m