• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Okay, I am confused as sh!t now.  At first, my new PC could login any old time it wanted too and the site had no issues.  All is good and happy in Axis and Allies land, right?

I used the Windows 7 “Easy Files and Settings Transfer Wizard” a second time to move Warcraft and Sid Meier’s Pirates from the old machine to the new machine, and now the new machine cannot log into the site.  It gives me a Cmdr_Jennifer error when I try to login.

Okay, so, I tried to have it mail a reset password to my inbox - but it never comes in.  So I figure, “okay, maybe the account has been compromised.” And send David (Djensen) an email to let him know.

For grins and giggles, I decide, what the heck, and load up the old computer and come here - log in, and no errors at all.

I checked Norton to see if maybe it was blocking the site, but it let me login with a different account (which I should now disable I guess.)

So…community, I know I’m not the best IT gal in the world, so…what do you think happened?

• Get rid of Norton. That pile takes way too many resources and does nothing.

ESET smart security is what you want.

• '12

Can you try using a different browser with the new machine?  I use Chrome but any of the major ‘other’ web browsers compared to one where you got those errors would be useful to try.   Either way, it should help narrow down the issue.

Anti-virus software in general can be problematic.  I’ve had problems with Norton preventing normal software operations from working and have had to remove it on software development machines.  Unless your computer engages in risky behaviour, I might not even run any antivirus software.

@Imperious:

Get rid of Norton. That pile takes way too many resources and does nothing.

ESET smart security is what you want.

Norton is free.  I use it mainly just to scan my facebook page.  /shrug.  Last PC had it on as well.

@MrMalachiCrunch:

Can you try using a different browser with the new machine?  I use Chrome but any of the major ‘other’ web browsers compared to one where you got those errors would be useful to try.  Either way, it should help narrow down the issue.

Chrome was causing the issue.  It also has the nasty habbit of screwing your machine up totally if you try to uninstall chrome.

Update, IE9 is working fine now.  I still cant get in with Chrome, but I’m not super happy with Chrome anyway.  I’ll get FF in the morning - pie…need PIE!!!

• Norton is free.

Perhaps for the first year, then all these reminders appear and they charge your credit card more than a month early ( and start the year off one month shy of that 12th month).

I think Norton also messes up the cpu memory ( reduces capacity it over time).

• Customizer

Cmdr. Jennifer,

AVG has EXCELLENT anti-virus protection, and it also has a free version that’s worth having! I hope this helps in some way.

“Tall Paul”

• I have AVG on one of my laptops, it is a good free version but mine keeps saying it is a one month trial version, but i guess that’s just a push to buy the full version.

• '12

Hey Jen, perhaps with Chrome, just for kicks, clear your history, everything, cookies and all.  Would be interesting to see if this fixed the problem for chrome just in case other members have a similar problem.  If you never want to use chrome again I would suggest you get a second browser installed, firefox perhaps.  Anytime you have an issue with a webpage its a good technique to use, a different browser to eliminate possibilities.

I’ve never tried to remove chrome but trying to remove norton years ago was a nasty experience.

@Imperious:

Norton is free.

Perhaps for the first year, then all these reminders appear and they charge your credit card more than a month early ( and start the year off one month shy of that 12th month).

I think Norton also messes up the cpu memory ( reduces capacity it over time).

Norton is free from either AT&T Internet, WoW Internet or Comcast Internet here.  We get the full version, the Norton 360 that is.

I can try that with Chrome.  Later.  Shopping day!!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m