• The rulebooks for the original A&A Europe game and the later Revised A&A game both described the Russian fighter as a Yak (which is somewhat inadequate, since there were several models).  The next couple of games gave no unit identifications.  Then Europe 1940 (1st ed.) came along and inexplicably identified the Soviet fighter as a MiG-3.  Last month, A&A 1942 (2nd ed.) appeared and its rulebook said the fighter was a Yak-3.  Now, the newly-posted rulebook pictures for Europe 1940 (2nd ed.) tell us once more that it’s a MiG-3.

Any opinions from our resident WWII aviation experts on what the correct designation is?  Based on the reference books I have at home, I’m inclined to think it’s a Yak-3.  If you look at side-view diagrams or photos of the actual Yak-3 and MiG-3 planes, and cut them in half vertically at the middle of the fuselage, the Yak’s cockpit canopy can be seen to be more or less centered while the MiG’s cockpit canopy is to the rear of the dividing line.  On that basis, the A&A sculpt looks more like a Yak.  I’m inclined to think for this reason that Europe (original) and Revised were both correct in their initial Yak designation, that Europe 1940 (1st ed.) introduced a mistake by calling it a MiG, that 1942 (2nd ed.) corrected the mistake, and that Europe 1940 (2nd ed.) simply replicated the mistake of Europe 1940 (1st ed.) without taking the 1942 rulebook fix into account.  But this is just speculation, and I’d be interested in hearing what others think.

• My wife and her young friend have looked. (My eyes are not up to it.)
    It is the Yak 3.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@wittmann:

My wife and her young friend have looked. (My eyes are not up to it.)
    It is the Yak 3.

What else have you had them -squint- at? :P

• Didn’t tell you where the Russian Fighter was when I asked them to identify it.
    Not just their  eyes were fully open I can promise you!
    My parties can be wild too. You stick to gorilla suits, Garg.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

OO OO AA AA EE EEE EEEE!

• Even with my tired, old eyes I can see that is a real one, not you this time
    Not a very clever one either: only knows three vowels!

• Customizer

I would imagine that the rulebook for WOTC is some sort of large digital file that they can pull up, make any changes and print so they don’t have to do the whole thing again from scratch. THey were probably so busy changing the original OOB rules to the Alpha+3.9 rules and all the new units for ANZAC and Italy that they just didn’t check the unit IDs for any pieces that were not changing and thus printed the same error in the Europe 1940 second edition.

By the way, thanks to Wittmann for giving us the correct unit ID for the Russian fighter.

• @knp7765:

By the way, thanks to Wittmann for giving us the correct unit ID for the Russian fighter.

Yes, much appreciated.  Most people who aren’t into Axis & Allies would be perplexed at the idea of fussing over the details of a piece of plastic small enough to fit on a dime, but this sort of question probably raises few (if any) eyebrows here on this forum.

• Thank you both, but I am aware I was only confirming your thoughts, Marc.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m