• So I have a question on how retreating works, I have read the rule book and all it says is this;

"The attacker (never the defender) can retreat during this step. Move all attacking land and sea units in that combat that are on the battle strip to a single adjacent friendly space from which at least one of the attacking land or sea units moved. In the case of sea units, that space must have been friendly at the start of the turn. All such units must retreat together to the same territory or sea zone, regardless of where they came from……

So my questions are as follows

1. Are air units still allowed to retreat at any time during combat? I remember a rule called aerial retreat but I don’t know if that is still in effect.

2. Do all units in a combat have to retreat at the same time? Example; I am attacking Yugoslavia on turn 1 as Germany and I move troops from Hungary and Rumania. If I wanted to retreat the troops that moved to Yugoslavia from Rumania but leave the troops that moved there from Hungary can I do that? I understand that if I then wanted to retreat the Hungarian troops at some point I would only be allowed to send them to Rumania but do I have to pull all of my troops out at the same time.

thanks for the help

• The only occasion where you are permitted to retreat only some units is when the attack involves an amphibious assault (land units attacking from a transport can never retreat - all others still may).

So:

1. Not typically, unless all the land units are from an amphibious assault.

2. Yes, except amphibiously assaulting troops are left behind to fight to the death.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m